Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:49 AM

13 posts, read 67,544 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from the cold MN to Austin. I'm TERRIFIED of cockroaches and scorpions. I was told these insects are very common in Austin. If I ever found one in my house I'd freak out. Any advice? How often do you see these critters? [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 10:55 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
There have been lots of threads on this subject. Here's a search on scorpions:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=18048329

Old 01-04-2010, 11:04 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikramYogaGirl View Post
I'm relocating from the cold MN to Austin. I'm TERRIFIED of cockroaches and scorpions. I was told these insects are very common in Austin. If I ever found one in my house I'd freak out. Any advice? How often do you see these critters? [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Never. Scorpions are more common out in the country and then you usually only see them in areas where there has been a lot of construction recently.

Cockroaches are 100% avoidable, and it's unlikely you will have them in your house unless you currently have or adopt very poor cleaning habits. I know that both of these creatures exist, but I have never seen any myself. Maybe walking around downtown you see a dead bug in a grate and you are like "is that a roach????" but I don't get close enough to investigate. There is usually only one type of "roach" downtown anyway.

If you are truly worried about roaches, when you move ask the home inspector of the house you buy to specifically check for infestations, or hire someone who can. If you are renting an apartment, I wouldn't worry to much because management will take care of infestation issues.

Keep in mind though, roaches live EVERYWHERE there are humans beings, even in cold old Minnesota. If you didn't see a bunch of roaches in MN, don't expect to see them here in Austin. Whomever told you to worry about these things was pulling your leg or misinformed.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM

428 posts, read 1,065,051 times
Worried about scorpions, get a cat. To a cat, a scorpion is just a self propelled toy. We saw them periodically in Phoenix, but in all but one occasion, it was after one of our cats had beaten the thing into five or six pieces. The one time we saw a live on, it was backed into a corner with the cat "waiting it out" about six inches away.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:58 AM

809 posts, read 1,861,908 times
If you're a pack rat and have roaches in Minnesota, chances are you will have roaches in Texas. some will have hitched a ride from Minnesota in your luggage.

No worries on scorpions though.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
We have quite a few scorpions out here in the semi-rural SW part of Austin. By "quite a few" I mean I've found an average of 3-4 in my house each year and I see a couple more outside on outbuildings or (yay!) once, in the mailbox, when I reached in for the mail. He almost nailed me. I use Bulwark and I think it's kept their numbers down a good bit.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:37 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Never. Scorpions are more common out in the country and then you usually only see them in areas where there has been a lot of construction recently.

Cockroaches are 100% avoidable, and it's unlikely you will have them in your house unless you currently have or adopt very poor cleaning habits. I know that both of these creatures exist, but I have never seen any myself.
Scorpions do exist in newer neighborhoods. I've never seen them in my Round Rock neighborhood as it's a bit older, but my parents had tons of scorpions in their Georgetown neighborhood where homes are still being built. The scorpions here are not like the big ones that you see on television. They're very small and the stings are more like getting stung by a bumble-bee or a wasp.

I also disagree that cockroaches are 100% avoidable. This is Texas so you will see tree roaches (they look just like big cockroaches) outside your home in some neighborhoods. Occasionally a tree roach makes it into my house somehow. They don't hide from light and look for food like normal cockroaches do. I normally find about 4 or 5 per year in my garage, on my porch, or on my stairs.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:43 PM

428 posts, read 1,065,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
This is Texas so you will see tree roaches (they look just like big cockroaches) outside your home in some neighborhoods. Occasionally a tree roach makes it into my house somehow. They don't hide from light and look for food like normal cockroaches do. I normally find about 4 or 5 per year in my garage, on my porch, or on my stairs.
Are you allowed to shoot 'em?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:50 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Worried about scorpions, get a cat. To a cat, a scorpion is just a self propelled toy. We saw them periodically in Phoenix, but in all but one occasion, it was after one of our cats had beaten the thing into five or six pieces. The one time we saw a live on, it was backed into a corner with the cat "waiting it out" about six inches away.
We have three cats and they have no impact as far as I can tell on our scorpion sightings. We see several a year in the house, and a few more outside.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Scorpions - depends on where you live. In the western outskirts, for example, you'll see more than downtown. We live in Steiner Ranch and in the summer will see an average of one a month in the house. I have a friend who lies in Dripping Springs and sees more than that.

Cockroaches - they freak me out too. The previous poster mentioned that they are everywhere. Well, yes and no. THe German roaches are everywhere and are the ones associated with home infestations. However, here in Austin we have tree roaches or Palmetto bugs (I've heard both names). They usually live outside, but like any insect, they find their way inside. The good news is that they don't infest your house or anything. The bad news is, they are freakin' huge (way bigger than the smaller German roaches). Some also fly. They are not found in the northern, colder climates.

Unfortunately, there's not a whole heck of a lot you can do. If you live closer to downtown, you'll see a lot less, if any, of them. If you live more in the suburban areas with more greenspace, you'll see more of them. We have a pest control company come out every three months and that helps, but you can't prevent them completely.

Just wait until you see your first tarantula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin