Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 PM

743 posts, read 968,140 times

Advertisements

In 6 months of living at my "new" house I haven't produced an ounce of trash for them to pick up. My gf and I eat out constantly and produce zero garbage. The occasional papers or boxes I have to discard we take to the condos I own where I pay over $1000/month in HOA where trash removal is included...this happens maybe twice a month.

Republic services sends me a bill for $83 saying I owe them fees and that due to ordinance 9.08 I'm forced to pay regardless of using their service or not.

I looked it up and it's true...and they are the only trash collection service in town.

Some politician made out.

Trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 05:40 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
They are the worst trash collection company I've ever seen. Everywhere else in the country I've lived, the trash dudes pick up the can, recyclables, whatever, put them in the truck, and put the containers down. The yahoos in my neighborhood leave the cans in the street (often on their sides blocking traffic), and literally throw the little recycling trays all over the place. And forget having them pick up anything that's not in a can. I called them to make sure that if I bundled my moving boxes after I unpacked, would they pick up. "Yup, just leave them on the curb". I did as instructed and watched the guys empty the can, empty the recyclables, stare at the bundles up and down, and drive off. I called while the guys were still next door and was told they will pick up 3 bundles under 50 lbs every other week. I replied "Well, they picked up zero bundles this week" and she told me to drive across town to the recycling center and drop it off myself. Seriously. They suck.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:01 PM

171 posts, read 218,889 times
It's basically a tax, not service.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:28 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
They are the worst trash collection company I've ever seen. Everywhere else in the country I've lived, the trash dudes pick up the can, recyclables, whatever, put them in the truck, and put the containers down. The yahoos in my neighborhood leave the cans in the street (often on their sides blocking traffic), and literally throw the little recycling trays all over the place. And forget having them pick up anything that's not in a can. I called them to make sure that if I bundled my moving boxes after I unpacked, would they pick up. "Yup, just leave them on the curb". I did as instructed and watched the guys empty the can, empty the recyclables, stare at the bundles up and down, and drive off. I called while the guys were still next door and was told they will pick up 3 bundles under 50 lbs every other week. I replied "Well, they picked up zero bundles this week" and she told me to drive across town to the recycling center and drop it off myself. Seriously. They suck.
While I know you are annoyed they are dollar for dollar perhaps the best trash pick up operastion in the US. They will eventually take everything. If you got an unreasonable pile put a little flag on top with an envelope and a $10 bill. If it is a big pile try a $20.

This is Las Vegas after all.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:32 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
They are the worst trash collection company I've ever seen.
I take it you never lived in SoCal.

SoCal: trash picked up once a week. Cost is $40 for 8 weeks of service.

LV: trash picked up twice a week. Cost is $50 for 3 months.

Republic isn't perfect, but they are far better than what I experienced in many parts of the country.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:40 PM

I guess you get what you pay for. Yes it's cheap. But they don't do a good job. Our neighborhood is beautiful except for twice a week when they play "throw the cans in the street" and once every OTHER week when they see how far they can throw the recyclable bins.

I understand it was hot out and they didn't feel like taking any cardboard. But that is their job. I followed instructions to the letter, and they simply chose not to do their job. Sorry, but I don't have sympathy for people who don't do what the job for which I pay them.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 PM

Maybe it's only the crew who works my area, and all other areas are given white glove service. Could be..

Old 07-11-2013, 07:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
RS pick up is barely a one man operation. You all forget that in most neighborhoods, not a single person touches the trash cans. It's all done by a mechanical hydraulic arm attached to the truck. It wouldn't be effective for the driver to get out of the truck each time the arm unsuccessfully places the can down.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
I think republic (in my neighborhood) does a GREAT job, but then again I come from NY
where the "sanitation workers" or the sandmen, as we call them, will condescend to pick up your
trash, IF the bags are the proper 3" from the curb cut, and no more then 48" from your house.
if say the wind moves the bag .22cm to the left or the right, then, well sorry friend.

Jonathan

Old 07-11-2013, 07:59 PM

629 posts, read 1,174,968 times
Those tiny recycle bins (trays) are nearly useless - i thought they were going to transition to a large blue all-in-one recycle bin?

I've stopped putting the lid on my trash can when I put it out for collection, because they would play frisbee with it every time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas