Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,339,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I thought those properties charged a FSE fee instead?

Sent from watch
AFAIK, that cost is built into the price of the room. In other words, I have not seen an itemized cost for FSE, and my per night charges where always the same in the end as what they were at the time of booking. (at 4Q and MSS)

El Cortez and Downtown Grand should not have these fees, of course, as they are not under the canopy.

I do realize this thread was about resort fees on the strip, but I was just pointing out that there are tourist properties that do not charge them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 PM

402 posts, read 747,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Because those are paid to a third party (the gov't.) If it's you're property, and you charge a fixed fee to everyone who rents a room, it's effectively part of the rate, so it should be expressed as such.

Note the reason why they do this. They want the rate to appear as low as possible on the on line sites, while being able to effectively charge you more. Also, it's a way of allowing them to wholesale rooms to consolidators, while still being able to charge the guest directly. It's pretty patently false advertising.
I think that is the main reason they do it. They have found a way to save commissions and risked upsetting their customers; however, Caesars held out from doing so until they did their homework on it and pretty much found out that either vin general, people don't care and the ones that did aren't necessarily people they feel they are losing much business from. If someone makes the decision to stay on Fremont street and take the bus to the strip because they are opposed to the resort fee from the Quad, they don't lose a lot of sleep over that particular revenue loss.

I disagree on the false advertising part. Every travel site and resort property I frequent makes these fees very visible ( and I also disagree that they couldn't do that with government taxes and other fees as well).

I get why some people have a bad taste in their mouth about them but I stop short of calling it false advertising.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:26 AM

743 posts, read 971,246 times
It's all marketing. A hotel that advertises $39 a night with a $15 resort fee will be booked out before the hotel down the street who advertises $54 a night a $0 resort fee.

Once the very first hotel started with the resort fee to make the price per night look cheaper, the others had to follow.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,188,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
It's all marketing. A hotel that advertises $39 a night with a $15 resort fee will be booked out before the hotel down the street who advertises $54 a night a $0 resort fee.

Once the very first hotel started with the resort fee to make the price per night look cheaper, the others had to follow.
I have seen it where hotel cost plus resort fee equal less than the hotel down the street. But some consumers really only want to pay that "$39". That's it, not a penny more.

Basically, don't use the "sort by price feature".

Sent from watch

Old 08-22-2013, 04:41 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,358,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post

This is precisely it. It is a way for a hotel to appear to be charging a lower nightly rate than they actually are. I ran into this when I booked in advance on Hotels.com for a trip to Reno last Thanksgiving. There was no mention whatsoever of resort fees when I booked, but I was charged $11 per day for what was supposedly a pre-paid room (plus a $50 daily amenities charge because I paid with a debit card - which was refunded when I checked out, but they still tied up the cash in my bank for three days).

Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,067,172 times
Big deal...outside of Vegas can you get for $50? A motel 6?

Old 08-22-2013, 06:58 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,339,013 times
They leave the light on for you.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:48 AM

728 posts, read 1,904,778 times
When we stayed at Excalibur a couple of weeks ago there was a resort fee but we were also given 20 dollars food and beverage vouchers so even though we had to pay a fee we got some of it back with the voucher.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,188,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
When we stayed at Excalibur a couple of weeks ago there was a resort fee but we were also given 20 dollars food and beverage vouchers so even though we had to pay a fee we got some of it back with the voucher.
They probably just raised the room rates by $20, then pass out $20 vouchers.

Good deal or good marketing?

Sent from watch

Old 09-06-2013, 08:50 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,808,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
They probably just raised the room rates by $20, then pass out $20 vouchers.

Good deal or good marketing?

Sent from watch
If one feels like it is a good deal, it is. If not, it isn't. Marketing is all about how it makes you feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: