Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,954,139 times

Advertisements

Settebello is opening a 2nd location in Summerlin.

Settebello to open new pizzeria in Summerlin - Las Vegas Weekly

An embarrassment of riches! Best pizza ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,010,374 times
Well, not exactly. I can throw a dime in Naples and hit a better pizzeria. I suspect that the 300-year old ovens have much to do with it, and the terroir of the tomatoes, and the skill of the pizzaiolos. Pizza in Italy is all about the crust. Thin, with both crunch and chewiness. They put as little on the pizzas as necessary to do the job. (This is one thing that Settebello gets right and almost nobody else does.)

But as far as "pizza in America" goes, there aren't any better than Settebello. A couple places in New Haven and San Francisco are on the same level, though. I'm told that Portland has some really good pizza as well, but I haven't visited.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,912,351 times
Default Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Settebello is opening a 2nd location in Summerlin.

Settebello to open new pizzeria in Summerlin - Las Vegas Weekly

An embarrassment of riches! Best pizza ever!
Ate there once. Prefer Metro

Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 AM

557 posts, read 794,359 times
I tried Settebello and thought it was ok, but way overpriced. I prefer Dom Demarcos on S. Hualapai as this is the same ownership from a Brooklyn pizza shop " Difara's ". IMHO one of the few things wrong here is the pizza and Italian food. In NYC and the surrounding areas it is very easy to find great pizza by the slice ( most are personal pizzas here ) in just about any pizzeria. It is funny when I ask for a "pie" I get strange looks LOL . In fairness to Las Vegas the pizza sucks just about everywhere outside of some East Coast areas ( again IMHO ). Now if I could only find Gnocchi and bolognese sauce ( real bolognese with chopped veal in a pinkish sauce with peas, mushrooms, and onions ) instead of chopped ground beef and red sauce i see here.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 PM

553 posts, read 1,209,994 times
Settebello is distinctly not American Pizza. It ain't like the thin crust you find in NYC or the deep dish in Chicago. If you want thick cheesy pies, this is not the place for it. But for perfectly cooked pie crust topped with a few wonderful ingredients meant to compliment the bread, Settebello is as good as I have had in the USA unless I have made it myself on my Big Green Egg. So very happy to see this business expanding to Summerlin.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:42 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,023,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
I tried Settebello and thought it was ok, but way overpriced. I prefer Dom Demarcos on S. Hualapai as this is the same ownership from a Brooklyn pizza shop " Difara's ". IMHO one of the few things wrong here is the pizza and Italian food. In NYC and the surrounding areas it is very easy to find great pizza by the slice ( most are personal pizzas here ) in just about any pizzeria. It is funny when I ask for a "pie" I get strange looks LOL . In fairness to Las Vegas the pizza sucks just about everywhere outside of some East Coast areas ( again IMHO ). Now if I could only find Gnocchi and bolognese sauce ( real bolognese with chopped veal in a pinkish sauce with peas, mushrooms, and onions ) instead of chopped ground beef and red sauce i see here.
If it's still there, Marinelli's at the M had great Gnocchi but it's in a pesto sauce

Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,169,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
If it's still there, Marinelli's at the M had great Gnocchi but it's in a pesto sauce
I probably need to check that place out. I ate Gnocchi almost weekly while stationed in Italy. Haven't had much since I left. I remember Scoop giving me some Gnocchi restaurant ideas a while back.

Gotta find that thread.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-05-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Thanks. I will check out the M. The bolognese gravy makes the dish what it is. I find most gravies out here do not have the chopped veal and a pinkish sauce. Why can't the eateries here use this combo ? It really is that good

Old 04-06-2013, 12:41 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,954,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
Thanks. I will check out the M. The bolognese gravy makes the dish what it is. I find most gravies out here do not have the chopped veal and a pinkish sauce. Why can't the eateries here use this combo ? It really is that good
Isn't pink sauce just a mixture of the regular marinara with a little alfredo sauce mixed in?

Old 04-06-2013, 01:59 AM

Cream gives the pinkish color. I find Bolognese to be a very complex sauce and not just mixing marinara/alfredo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas