Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,351,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Do you have any children?

Sent from phone using app
No. The dogs are allergic.

Oh and i don't like kids. So there's that.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:48 PM

260 posts, read 658,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
As a person with many allergies, I can tell you that the fragrances that people wear have, at times, had a dire affect on me instigating an asthmatic event. Far worse than any animal and I do have allergies to animals. So if we are going to ban animals from public places because some people have allergies to them, then we should ban people who wear perfume, cologne, and hairspray.
LOL, I must have been writing as you were posting (plus I got distracted by my baby so I got delayed). I'd rep you but I must spread the reps around before I can rep you again

Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 PM

579 posts, read 1,213,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Admittedly I'm not a pet person, but what is the deal with people bringing their pets (mainly dogs and cats) into stores? I was mainly in Lowe's, Home Depot and Walmart but saw this quite frequently. I haven't noticed this in other cities. I generally thought that stores don't allow pets unless they are helpers of some sort.

Then you haven't been to Seattle. Believe me, I lived my whole life in LV and never saw dogs particularly catered to or in all the stores. Very little really, just the little ones in purses at Office Max or something every now and then, Starbucks giving them milk bones or The District leaving out dishes of dog water...........But I moved to Seattle which has more dogs per capita than children and is consistently ranked in the top 5 cities for dogs. They are absolutely everywhere, in restaurants, at farmers markets, in the banks, I mean literally everywhere.....but they are all so used to it that they are extremely calm and sociable. Every restaurant will have a few tied up outside......

The cutest thing I ever saw the other day, was the doggy day care bus pull up along side of me to take the dogs on a field trip. So cute to see a Husky, a Boxer, a Lab and a little Chihuahua sitting on the bench staring out the window together, like schoolchildren.

But I agree, there seems to be a steady rise in people bringing their dogs everywhere. Blame it on Paris Hilton.......she started in with the little ones in purses and everyone else did it and then the owners of larger dogs want to bring theirs along too......

We were eating at the Marie Calendars on Rainbow and Cheyenne, only one other couple inside and we kept hearing a weird screeching sound.......took us till we left to figure out they had a little dog in a carrier hidden under the table.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,695,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Te-he

Quote:
I like my kids, but no one else's

The system won't let me rep you any more :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowHorse View Post
LOL, I must have been writing as you were posting (plus I got distracted by my baby so I got delayed). I'd rep you but I must spread the reps around before I can rep you again
Then it's a good thing I got you first.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:28 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,199,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

Now I understand 100%.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,980,699 times
I don't see the problem. People...don't bring your kids or dogs to inappropriate places. You are the only one who thinks they are special. They have Chuckie Cheese, Disney, water parks, dog parks, dog day cares...for those reasons. I never took my kids to fancy restaurants or even to places such as Applebees when they were infants. I have far more consideration for all types of people than to infringe on what might be a person's only night out. If I was in the grocery store or somewhere and my child started acting up, I left the cart and left the store. I never took my dog to other people's homes where they did not invite him. I don't assume that other people will like my kids or my pet. I didn't allow my kids or my pet to jump on people or even to sit on their laps, unless invited. It is ignorant to assume, IMO.

As far as allergies go, I do not think it is necessarily the general public's responsibility to know about other's medical maladies. Take care of you. Wear a mask, if you need to. Carry your inhaler. Protect yourself. We don't need any more gov't involvement in telling us what we can and can not do. Again, IMO. When my daughter was going through chemo treatments, I kept her home when needed. I had sanitizer for visitors, masks available and gloves too. I did not take her places where I would expect others to change their lifestyle because of her illness. Worked out fine for all. What's the big deal? This is an age old argument that can be solved with a little consideration for others. All this "they should do this or they should do that" is ridiculous.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,199,080 times
Both dogs and kids don't belong in fancy restaurants. I think both sides can agree on this. The problem is the public places where people HAVE to visit. Post office, grocery store, municipal buildings, etc. people can't avoid these places and the setting of these places is very appropriate for children. Non service animals need not to enter.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:03 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,351,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Now I understand 100%.

Whatever that means

Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,054,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I don't see the problem.
What's the big deal?
The problem, and the "big deal" is that far too many pet owners put their need to be with their pets 24/7 ahead of the rights of others.

We have pets. We don't take them to grocery stores, restaurants, on airplanes, or anywhere else where they might make someone with allergic reactions miserable (or even life threatening in extreme cases.) People also have a right to shop in grocery stores without having to deal with pet feces. People on airplanes have a right to a quiet uneventful flight -- without a goddamn cat howling the whole way.

Our pets are amazingly well behaved. And they stay HOME when we go out in PUBLIC.

We simply don't do it. It is not fair to to others. Period. Full stop. I cannot see how anyone can think that "pets in the grocery store" is a defensible position. Service animals are one thing. Dipsh--- who cannot bear to be away from Woogums the incontinent cat or Mr. Shakey the yippie little Chihuahua are another thing entirely. Leave the goddamned animal AT HOME. Don't give me any crap about how hot it is in the car. Leave the goddamned animal AT HOME. It's not 140 degrees AT HOME. Get it?

Personally, I would rather deal with a smoker than a pet owner with a gross sense of entitlement. They're two sides of the same coin. But the smoker is less annoying than the entitled pet owner. Just slightly less annoying. But still preferable to Woogums the incontinent cat.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:11 AM

8,437 posts, read 4,613,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
As far as allergies go, I do not think it is necessarily the general public's responsibility to know about other's medical maladies. Take care of you. Wear a mask, if you need to. Carry your inhaler. Protect yourself. We don't need any more gov't involvement in telling us what we can and can not do. Again, IMO. When my daughter was going through chemo treatments, I kept her home when needed. I had sanitizer for visitors, masks available and gloves too. I did not take her places where I would expect others to change their lifestyle because of her illness. Worked out fine for all. What's the big deal? This is an age old argument that can be solved with a little consideration for others. All this "they should do this or they should do that" is ridiculous.
The government recently outlawed the only inhaler that actually works (Primatene) for it's minute CFC's

All I ask is that pet owners ACKNOWLEDGE this issue and not try to guilt us into doing things that make us sick. 40 years later I'm STILL asked to house sit for relatives/friends dogs/cats, and given grief for not enjoying having a dog shoved in my face.

I'm not allergic to perfume/cologne but if it's half as bad as my reaction to a cat I completely sympathize. I don't understand people who bathe in the stuff and I don't equate it with proper grooming or cleanliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas