Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 03:12 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,493,101 times

Advertisements

........and having mandatory papers for service animals is just a start. People using service animals should have proof to provide any business asking for it if they want special treatment without the business being sued. These are just a couple of loopholes on the guideline that can be changed or should be changed.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:20 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times
[quote of deleted post and response]

Eventually, you or your employer is going to ask the wrong person for papers. You or your employer (or both) will be sued. And you'll lose. You cannot run things based on how you want them to be. You must conduct business based on how things actually are.

I want it changed, too. But when I see someone at the resort with a pet that is OBVIOUSLY not a service animal, I keep my mouth shut -- just like my employer has requested. Some damned fine legal minds have looked at this issue in depth and decided they don't have a legal leg to stand on. What makes your employer think he has a chance?

Last edited by observer53; 09-01-2014 at 01:19 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 03:42 AM

People with disability driving a vehicle and parking their car on a designated "handicap" spot has to hang a tag inside the car. Why are people with service dog not subjected to the same rule and have papers for their service animal?

Old 09-01-2014, 04:01 AM

Then I am done here. I truly hope that nobody sues you. But if they do, you will lose. You cannot use ignorance of the law as a defense. And more than one person has tried to inform you about what the law is, as opposed to what the law should be. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:34 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,127,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I want it changed, too. But when I see someone at the resort with a pet that is OBVIOUSLY not a service animal, I keep my mouth shut -- just like my employer has requested. Some damned fine legal minds have looked at this issue in depth and decided they don't have a legal leg to stand on. What makes your employer think he has a chance?
When I have been at a hotel or resort I will often have my DH or DS take my SD out to relieve himself. He always wears his SD coat and he is taken to the first 'private' place to do his business; his mess is then triple bagged and thrown in a rubbish can .

It is often not possible for me to take him out myself if I have already taken my medications at night or early in the morning.
Anyone that questions his status may do so at the front desk or call my room - I am always happy to answer questions in the morning (or staff may pop up to my room and my DH or DS can show my wheelchair which is highly specialized with the hooks for my SD) along with our SD team ID from the org. that trained him.

So, if someone were to see someone other than myself taking my SD out they may wrongly assume that he is not truly an SD.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post

So, if someone were to see someone other than myself taking my SD out they may wrongly assume that he is not truly an SD.
Those people are making judgements about the person with the service animal, not the animal itself. When I see a dog that is out of control, nipping at people's ankles, and relieving itself in public places, I'm fairly sure that it isn't a service animal. One of my wife's childhood friends has a blind husband. I have learned that the best way to spot a service dog is the fact that you never, ever notice it. When that man sits down, so does the dog. And that dog doesn't so much as twitch no matter what happens.

The precious special snowflakes who bring their purse dogs into the restaurant? Not so much.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:01 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,678,413 times
If you won't do your own homework, here:

Quote:
Businesses may ask if an animal is a service animal or ask what tasks the animal has been trained to perform, but cannot require special ID cards for the animal or ask about the person's disability.

People with disabilities who use service animals cannot be charged extra fees, isolated from other patrons, or treated less favorably than other patrons. However, if a business such as a hotel normally charges guests for damage that they cause, a customer with a disability may be charged for damage caused by his or her service animal.

A person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the animal is out of control and the animal's owner does not take effective action to control it (for example, a dog that barks repeatedly during a movie) or (2) the animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others.

In these cases, the business should give the person with the disability the option to obtain goods and services without having the animal on the premises.

Businesses that sell or prepare food must allow service animals in public areas even if state or local health codes prohibit animals on the premises.

A business is not required to provide care or food for a service animal or provide a special location for it to relieve itself.
Allergies and fear of animals are generally not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people with service animals.

Violators of the ADA can be required to pay money damages and penalties.
ADA Business Brief: Service Animals

I don't agree with the law in its entirety, but it is the law. Continue to violate it at your own peril.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
If you won't do your own homework, here:

ADA Business Brief: Service Animals

I don't agree with the law in its entirety, but it is the law. Continue to violate it at your own peril.

Sorry to disappoint you but I have read that many times and you said it yourself and I agree, it needs to be tweaked. In the meantime, a business owner gets sued for negligence for failure to follow through on its own rules and regulations because a large dog owned by a faker residing in his property bit another person.

This is a sue me state or more like sue happy country!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
This is no longer a Vegas specific thread, if it ever was.

Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas