Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,495,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
As to how to fix the system? You'd have to fix the culture. You'd have to make people value education, make them realize it's something they like and value, and they'd have to value teachers.

I don't see that happening in my lifetime, or my kid's lifetime either. Actually I'm thinking of raising my kid over here in Asia, and having the real family values and everything else instilled, plus better study skills. Most Americans I know who also live in Japan, are thinking the exact same thing.

The Japan education system has a whole lot of problems as well. But, at least teachers are respected, drugs and violence aren't embraced as something that's respected, and no one gets socialized to pretend like their dumb, as god forbid a kid's peers get the idea that a kid was smart.

Very well said!! Any attempt at trying to address the cultural aspect is viewed as being "unamerican". Sadly, it is in the interest of the "reformers" to cultivate the disrespect of teaching as a profession.

Interesting about Japan, as that is often held up to teachers as a model we should aspire to duplicating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 11:05 AM

25 posts, read 87,454 times
Generally speaking, the Europeans don't mess around either. The typical European high school graduate is like an American with two years of college under their belt, I kid you not.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:31 PM

80 posts, read 151,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
I'm all for legalizing the lottery, think it would be a great idea to put that towards the schools......however it wont stop money mismanagement, administrative bloating and general mismanagement of the schools. We need to impliment something there too. Californias had the lottery for nearly 25 years and some of the worst schools. But I would like it legalized......

The lottery would not go to education just as it has not in other state.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:43 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,843,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmgirlok View Post
The lottery would not go to education just as it has not in other state.
The Oregon lottey has contributed 7 billion dollars to education since it started in 1984.

Oregon Lottery®: History

Old 04-14-2011, 01:59 PM

1,825 posts, read 5,320,321 times
Mandatory home schooling... We can watch Nevada slide back into the dark ages!

Old 04-14-2011, 02:11 PM

92 posts, read 185,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1337 View Post
quixotic59, I agree with most of what you had to say. There's no 'new' way to teach math -- or teach in general. Its handwork and discipline. If its fun for the kids, they aren't learning.

But unions & govt schools are not the answer. Public schools will never work in this country again. Like you said, the politicians and parents will mess things up in a race to the bottom. Easy A's, less homework, more time for sports, etc.

If I have kids and they don't complete a school assignment, I will physically beat them. And I hope by then the school system is privatized so I can send my kids to a school that specifically advertises itself as discipline-focused.
REALLY? Dear Lord...

Old 04-14-2011, 02:48 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,538,304 times
Maybe charge a tax for having kids?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Maybe charge a tax for having kids?
I'm down with this one. Instead of giving tax exemptions and rewarding burdening society, we can stop the deductions and tax the result instead.

Having kids can be taxed right along with the already existing taxes for cigarettes, alcohol and gasoline.

Maybe you get one kid per adult (2 per couple) tax free and the rest are taxed on a sliding scale up from there?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:08 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,577,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
I'm down with this one. Instead of giving tax exemptions and rewarding burdening society, we can stop the deductions and tax the result instead.

Having kids can be taxed right along with the already existing taxes for cigarettes, alcohol and gasoline.

Maybe you get one kid per adult (2 per couple) tax free and the rest are taxed on a sliding scale up from there?
Forget taxing. If mother nature doesn't take out a couple billion people soon we will probably end up with a 1 kid maximum law in the next 20-50 years. People in general are having kids at a rate the earth certainly can't sustain.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Forget taxing. If mother nature doesn't take out a couple billion people soon we will probably end up with a 1 kid maximum law in the next 20-50 years. People in general are having kids at a rate the earth certainly can't sustain.
Time for a Mars colony, or AI robot oppressors to take over. Skynet would terminate excessive children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas