Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:25 PM

4 posts, read 17,898 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the names of the grocery stores in Vegas and Henderson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 11:51 PM

183 posts, read 861,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adufy2 View Post
Does anyone know the names of the grocery stores in Vegas and Henderson?
The big chains are Albertsons (CVS), Smiths/Food4Less (Kroger), Vons (Safeway), and Walmart/Sams Club.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 PM

30 posts, read 261,934 times
Yea, there's Albertson's, Smith's, Vons, Luckys is making a come back, Food for Less (owned by Smith's) Wal-mart, and there's thewarehouse chains- Sam's Club and Costco. Hope that helps. Also, if you're into healthy foods there's Whole Foods and Wild Oats.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:11 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
There are a few Raley's and Trader Joe's also. TJs is more of a boutique market. Wild Oats was purchased by Whole Foods and those stores will soon be converted to the Whole Foods brand or closed down I understand. BTW: Best girl watching in Vegas...Whole Foods Market...don't tell Carol I said so or I won't be allowed to shop there.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,689,018 times
Wow, many misinformed people...CVS doesn't own Albertsons, Raley's has been gone from the valley in a while...

There's the Sunflower Market, Diho Market, 99 Ranch, Shun Fat, Seafood City, Mariana's, King Ranch, Supermercado del Pueblo, La Bonita, Albertsons, Lucky, VONS, Smith's, Food 4 Less, Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market/Super Center, Whole Foods/Wild Oats, and Trader Joe's...

Sunflower Market is Whole Foods/Wild Oats but wayyyyy cheaper...

Diho, 99 Ranch, Shun Fat, and Seafood City are oriental markets

Mariana's, King Ranch, La Bonita, and Supermercado del Pueblos are Hispanic markets, although King Ranch heavily advertises in English more than Spanish...

Albertsons and Lucky are owned by Supervalu, Albertsons is "trying" to be like VONS but it isn't working out, I hate Albertsons because each location is so different, it is like a maze to find something...Lucky was a huge chain here until Albertsons bought them, recently Supervalu has converted some Albertsons into Lucky and repositioning Lucky into a "no-frills" market...

VONS is owned by Safeway and is absolutely the most expensive, but it has real cheap gas...It is known for deserting its neighborhoods and then coming back to them years later...They also have locations that are too close to each other and have other areas where they are far and few between...

Smith's and Food4Less are both owned by Kroger...
Food 4 Less is 'no frills' and you bag your own groceries, they have really good prices, but they feel like a warehouse on the inside but that's just to cut costs...
Smith's is Las Vegas's hometown market, I believe its been here the longest, they have good prices, good layouts, and are absolutely huge, they carry pretty much everything and always win the Best of Las Vegas, their meat and bakery is great...They also seem to have the most locations or at least the most convenient locations...

Of course, Wal-Mart Super Centers carry groceries but a format that is unique to Las Vegas and a couple other towns are the Neighborhood Markets, they are owned by Wal-Mart, are pretty small, but have good layouts, and carry less than other stores, but they are easier to navigate and low lines...

Fresh n Easy is coming to town, which is supposed to be like Whole Foods with Sunflower Markets prices, in the size of a 7-11...

However, if a World-Class ShopRite came to town, I think everyone would be out of business, lol...no one can beat their Kosher selection...

Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
Wow, many misinformed people...CVS doesn't own Albertsons, Raley's has been gone from the valley in a while...

There's the Sunflower Market, Diho Market, 99 Ranch, Shun Fat, Seafood City, Mariana's, King Ranch, Supermercado del Pueblo, La Bonita, Albertsons, Lucky, VONS, Smith's, Food 4 Less, Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market/Super Center, Whole Foods/Wild Oats, and Trader Joe's...

Sunflower Market is Whole Foods/Wild Oats but wayyyyy cheaper...

Diho, 99 Ranch, Shun Fat, and Seafood City are oriental markets

Mariana's, King Ranch, La Bonita, and Supermercado del Pueblos are Hispanic markets, although King Ranch heavily advertises in English more than Spanish...

Albertsons and Lucky are owned by Supervalu, Albertsons is "trying" to be like VONS but it isn't working out, I hate Albertsons because each location is so different, it is like a maze to find something...Lucky was a huge chain here until Albertsons bought them, recently Supervalu has converted some Albertsons into Lucky and repositioning Lucky into a "no-frills" market...

VONS is owned by Safeway and is absolutely the most expensive, but it has real cheap gas...It is known for deserting its neighborhoods and then coming back to them years later...They also have locations that are too close to each other and have other areas where they are far and few between...

Smith's and Food4Less are both owned by Kroger...
Food 4 Less is 'no frills' and you bag your own groceries, they have really good prices, but they feel like a warehouse on the inside but that's just to cut costs...
Smith's is Las Vegas's hometown market, I believe its been here the longest, they have good prices, good layouts, and are absolutely huge, they carry pretty much everything and always win the Best of Las Vegas, their meat and bakery is great...They also seem to have the most locations or at least the most convenient locations...

Of course, Wal-Mart Super Centers carry groceries but a format that is unique to Las Vegas and a couple other towns are the Neighborhood Markets, they are owned by Wal-Mart, are pretty small, but have good layouts, and carry less than other stores, but they are easier to navigate and low lines...

Fresh n Easy is coming to town, which is supposed to be like Whole Foods with Sunflower Markets prices, in the size of a 7-11...

However, if a World-Class ShopRite came to town, I think everyone would be out of business, lol...no one can beat their Kosher selection...
Sorry kid, but youse is the misinformed one. There are still two Raley's here. Albertson's owns Sav-on Drugs and a lot of those were purchased by CVS so I bet that's where people get confused. I know where all those others are but where is Diho, Shun Fat, and Seafood City? BTW: My DIL manages an Albertsons so lets not pick on them she needs the dough.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:21 AM

Albertson's doesn't own the freestanding/inline Sav-Ons, they are all owned by CVS, except for the closed ones that were mostly converted to Fallas Paredes, only the Sav-Ons inside Albertsons are owned by Albertsons/Supervalu, Albertsons/Supervalu only owns the Sav-On name now...

Where are these 2 Raley's? and how come they don't show up on the store locator, they were all gobbled up by Kroger, except for 3 or 4 which were turned into Big Lots or King Ranch...

Diho is on Jones, Shun Fat is on Spring Mountain, I believe, and Seafood City is next to Best Buy on Maryland Parkway...

Old 07-19-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Raley's

The locater I found says Eastern and Sahara and Lake Mead and Rampart. I'd swear I saw one the other day but I didn't think that was where I saw one. I may have imagined it or I when I was in Albuquerque last week I saw one there and the image stuck in my feeble brain.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:36 AM

Rampart and Lake Mead is now a Big Lots, Eastern and Sahara is now a Food 4 Less, been that way since Raley's left town a couple of years ago...You can find out what was a former Raley's/Albertsons by using the Clark County Assessor's OpenWeb tool...

Old 07-19-2007, 10:41 AM

818 posts, read 3,699,053 times
I love Albertson's self check computers, since I usually only go in for a few items. Smiths has the better selection and better produce, but the last three times I was in there I ended up waiting 10 minutes in the checkout line.

Food4Less is seriously 30-40% cheaper than the other stores, but they don't have much in the way of boutique/healthy foods, so I hit Trader Joe's or Sunflower for the hummus/pita/organic milk/couscous etc. that I can't get there. It feels pretty good when you get $100 worth of groceries for $70 though! Also, a costco membership is totally worth it, if for nothing else than the cheap gas and 17 cent photo printing.

I heard that Fresh n Easy is going to go in a condo building proposed in the old Mad Dog's and Englishman location on LV Blvd. That sounds exciting! An upscale urban market downtown - now that's progress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas