Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 04:11 PM

233 posts, read 499,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Got on the phone today 12/07/11 to NV Energy to "postpone install" on the Smart Meters on my two rentals in Henderson. NV Energy told me they already installed the new smart meters in July of this year and there is nothing I can do about it. Since the tenant pays the electricity, they sent the bill to him about the upcoming install. I asked NV Energy how a tenant could make that decision and why they didn't have to contact the home owner. They claim they don't have to.

I do have my other address on the account so it's not like they didn't know who the landlord was. Neither one of my tenants let me know about this so I am not sure how the letter from NV Energy was worded. Anyway I am not very happy about it. I asked if I could pay to have the Smart Meter changed out for an Analog Meter at my expense and she said no. Is this true?
Not sure about your question, but they mailed us the letter too instead of our landlord. Although first thing I did was email my landlord.. I wasn't aware you could opt out to even tell them. It wasn't stated in the letter. They came within two days of us getting the letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 04:15 PM

1,825 posts, read 5,323,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha0608 View Post
Not sure about your question, but they mailed us the letter too instead of our landlord. Although first thing I did was email my landlord.. I wasn't aware you could opt out to even tell them. It wasn't stated in the letter. They came within two days of us getting the letter.
You can't opt out. They just have a postpone install list currently, but you have to initiate that request before they pop a new meter on your house.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:20 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,597,284 times
Actually they should have contacted me for several reasons. First, would be to notify me of improvements to my home. NV Energy's subcontractors that do the installs could do shoddy work and I should have the right to inspect the work at the very least for fire hazards.

Secondly, was the option to "postpone" the installation. When I spoke to NV Energy they said I would not have been able to postpone the install until I received the letter. Since it's a rental which they could clearly see by looking at the account they should have sent a letter to my other address.

To give you an example, when Republic was about to put a lien on my rental home because the tenants hadn't paid the garbage they sent me a letter at my other address and I straightened it out right away.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Actually they should have contacted me for several reasons. First, would be to notify me of improvements to my home. NV Energy's subcontractors that do the installs could do shoddy work and I should have the right to inspect the work at the very least for fire hazards.

Secondly, was the option to "postpone" the installation. When I spoke to NV Energy they said I would not have been able to postpone the install until I received the letter. Since it's a rental which they could clearly see by looking at the account they should have sent a letter to my other address.

To give you an example, when Republic was about to put a lien on my rental home because the tenants hadn't paid the garbage they sent me a letter at my other address and I straightened it out right away.
Shoddy work? Once the brass ring is detached you pull the meter straight out, and then push the new meter straight back in. Took 5 min per house in my neighborhood. A bad install would equate to no power only. How did you plan on inspecting a meter install besides flipping a light switch after?

Old 12-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Default Shoddy Work, Just Plug In Smart Meter Install

Old 12-08-2011, 04:46 PM

So did that happen on install or it was a defective meter?

Old 12-08-2011, 04:50 PM

Granted the above photo was a "smart meter" install in San Francisco. NV Energy may use different "lowest bidder" equipment than San Francisco, but even when I have a new motor installed on my pool, I check it out and would have liked to on the Smart meter.

Hey Danknee, you are quite knowledgeable about the Smart meter are you in the industry? Just asking. Sounds like you watched your install of the meter at the very least.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:51 PM

Smart meter meltdown.
Stop Smart Meters! | Fighting for your health, privacy, and safety

Old 12-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Granted the above photo was a "smart meter" install in San Francisco. NV Energy may use different "lowest bidder" equipment than San Francisco, but even when I have a new motor installed on my pool, I check it out and would have liked to on the Smart meter.

Hey Danknee, you are quite knowledgeable about the Smart meter are you in the industry? Just asking. Sounds like you watched your install of the meter at the very least.
Not in the industry. I had an electrician place a call to have the brass ring popped on my old meter. He pulled the meter, clipped two induction leads for my TED monitoring unit and popped the meter back on. I saw the NVEnergy guy do 3 meters, but mine was already done before I saw him.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:58 PM

Danknee, would you recommend the TED monitoring unit and if so where would be a good place to buy one? Have you found it to be worthwhile?
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas