Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_bd View Post
You do not get the bins for free. You can rent the 96 gal ones from Republic for a small fee, or you can get your own but then they can only be 33 gal max.
Yes, you do get the bins for free, but pay a monthly bill. We are on the new once a week system, not the old and better twice a week pickup. Imagine how great your trash smells in the garage in the good old hot summertime after a week. Mmmm mmm yucky. lol We now keep the bins in the backyard. If the HOA wants to complain about it, they'd better get us back on the old trash system. It was their idea to switch.

The so called new and improved system, you HAVE to use their bins, no monthly charge for them, and one is for trash, the other same size bin is for recycling. (blue lid) Soon the whole valley will be using them and soon.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Yes, you do get the bins for free, but pay a monthly bill. We are on the new once a week system, not the old and better twice a week pickup. Imagine how great your trash smells in the garage in the good old hot summertime after a week. Mmmm mmm yucky. lol We now keep the bins in the backyard. If the HOA wants to complain about it, they'd better get us back on the old trash system. It was their idea to switch.

The so called new and improved system, you HAVE to use their bins, no monthly charge for them, and one is for trash, the other same size bin is for recycling. (blue lid) Soon the whole valley will be using them and soon.
I have never understood how so many people create such horrible smelling trash. I am on the once a week pickup schedule myself, and while my garbage can doesn't smell like a bunch of flowers, it also doesn't smell like miniature versions of a city dump like some people's trash cans do. Do you guys not realize that throwing food into the garbage can isn't the best of plans?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 AM

458 posts, read 1,670,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I have never understood how so many people create such horrible smelling trash. I am on the once a week pickup schedule myself, and while my garbage can doesn't smell like a bunch of flowers, it also doesn't smell like miniature versions of a city dump like some people's trash cans do. Do you guys not realize that throwing food into the garbage can isn't the best of plans?

Diapers.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:58 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post

I am a convert...I used to rail on the proposed once per week system but now that I live in a neighborhood that uses the once/week system, I've grown to like it. not only is it less work on my part to "take out the trash" but our recycling has gone from 0% to problably more than 50%. most of the trash we have now is considered recyclable and goes into the blue lid container all thrown in combined which makes it a hell of lot easier than the sorting bins crap. we certainly dont produce enough regular trash to justify twice a week pickup but then again, we are a small family. all I am saying is its a lot less work not to have to separate your recyclables and only having to take out the trash once per week. most of the time, our recyclable bin is more full than the regular trash bin. and yes, both containers are free if you only use two. If you need another one, you will have to rent it from the company.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Two words: Fruit rinds. We make a lot of natural foods things, and the end result is melon rinds, banana peels, cores of fruits, etc, and that stuff can really stink! Especially in a hot garage. I don't mind now that they are in the back yard, but for me, I have a tough time squeezing them through the narrow gate. I liked the convenience of having them in the garage, so I could just go out there anytime and toss stuff. But now that it is just once a week, they have to stay in the yard only. I don't need to be gagging and almost passing out trying to get in the car to leave. I guess I am just sensitive to certain smells.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:23 PM

Almost forgot, add to the rotting fruit rinds the cat litter that I scoop daily. A combo of those two is lethal.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,384 times
I don't see how your trash could not stink in the summer heat. My cans are on the side of my house or in the back yard when it is hot. If I leave them in the garage I gag pulling in the smell makes its way into my car/house.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,645 times
I have the same problem, and get picked up twice a week. I do not like fatty meat, so I cut off all the meat, and gross parts of the meat. That just makes it so nasty! I started putting the scraps in a zip lock bag if it is not the day before trash pick up.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:37 PM

654 posts, read 1,322,474 times
Quote:
???

We've gone to the once a week schedule. When it's hot outside, just about any trash can build up a smell.

Most of the stuff we put in the trash isn't THAT out of the ordinary. Examples:
Fruit rinds & vegetable trimmings (how 'bout onion ends or tomato tops?)
Chicken bones & fat (we cook a lot with chicken, incl. 20 lbs at once for ferrets)
Ferret poop & pee from litter box cleaning

You say throwing food into the garbage can isn't the best of plans - what would you suggest for, say, the chicken bones & fat? We're not sending those bones through the disposal.

We also try to recycle as much as possible, which is a little more convenient with another large container rather than 3 baskets. (Yes, one of each is free from Republic when you go to the once weekly schedule.) Despite how careful & judicious we are, the trash STILL smells pungent & horrible when it's hot - give most anything a long time in the heat & it'll stink, some of the above items only multiply the smell. So, we double-bag some things to keep it from getting too strong and/or attracting bugs around the house. I'd rather use less plastic to stay more eco-friendly, but we can't kill ourselves with stench in the garage, either.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:00 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
This issue has been all over the news lately. Republic wants to get more people to recycle by giving them the co-mingle wheeled cans, plus a wheeled garbáge can, but they also want to cut pick up to once a week and charge us more. I ain't gonna recycle so they can make more money if they're going to also charge me more for less service. Commissioner Chris Giunchigliani was telling them no way José. Nobody wants the garbáge to sit around in the heat of their garage that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas