Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2022, 12:01 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times

Advertisements

I agree. Learning a foreign language should be required in the U.S. When I visited my ex husband's country, they asked me if I spoke their language (no, not fluently, but understood context and some tense). German? No. Italian? No. French? petit peur. Most of the people I met knew at least 3 language and sometimes 4 or 5. It's just the way it is in a lot of overseas countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 12:11 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I agree. Learning a foreign language should be required in the U.S. When I visited my ex husband's country, they asked me if I spoke their language (no, not fluently, but understood context and some tense). German? No. Italian? No. French? petit peur. Most of the people I met knew at least 3 language and sometimes 4 or 5. It's just the way it is in a lot of overseas countries.
Yes! Americans don't realize it, but in much of the world, it's normal to be multi-lingual. I think most high schools and universities require two years of a language for graduation, don't they? Still, for many Americans, learning a 2nd (let alone--a third) language and trying to gain some measure of fluency in it is unnatural. To people raised in environments, where there are a number of languages swirling around, it's very natural.

I've also run into Dutch citizens, who speak several languages, due to the school system requiring the learning of 4 major European languages. This shows, it can be done! Would be interesting to see how their school system achieves that.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:31 PM

Yes, my high school (and university, I think, back in the day) required 2 yrs. I took 4 years of French. I think that not only should classes be required, but a proficiency test should be administered. I also think more than one language should be required. I really wish now that I'd studied Spanish but I was a language snob at the time. Also, it was partly because we had a French-speaking Belgian teacher at my high school. She was the best teacher I ever had.

Old 02-04-2022, 02:03 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
I really need to learn Spanish. I keep saying it, but in order to help my business grow, I should start doing it and stop just saying it.

If you were living in Plattsburgh, NY, or Northern Maine, it would probably a good idea to similarly learn French!

Old 02-04-2022, 07:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Language isn't required for graduation anymore in many schools and hasnt been for a long time. I'm glad because I struggle with being forced to learn things, but I do wish I was more capable in Spanish because I'd like to travel more in the Spanish speaking world. I have no problem with the bilingual nature of the area and don't feel put out or discriminated against because of it, not in the slightest.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:35 AM

I didn't find it a big deal either and had no problem with it. I noticed that the only trouble I might have had would have been working in a doctor's office where there would be a lot of Spanish-speaking patients but those people usually had an English-speaking person with them anyway.

I'm trying to think way back to whether in high school a foreign language was required for graduation. I think it was one of those things you only did when you wanted to get to college. Not sure though.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:29 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
I didn't find it a big deal either and had no problem with it. I noticed that the only trouble I might have had would have been working in a doctor's office where there would be a lot of Spanish-speaking patients but those people usually had an English-speaking person with them anyway.

I'm trying to think way back to whether in high school a foreign language was required for graduation. I think it was one of those things you only did when you wanted to get to college. Not sure though.

Most Americans can't even speak English when they get out of high school these days. Or maybe I should say,

Most American's cant even speak English when they get out of high school these day's.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:48 AM

So sad. Another thing I've noticed is that people will continue with the wrong spelling or pronunciation just to go along with their crowd or co-workers.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:52 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
So sad. Another thing I've noticed is that people will continue with the wrong spelling or pronunciation just to go along with their crowd or co-workers.
My dad always used to say that language was the glue that held society together, and when, due to lack of literacy and other reasons, when a society can no longer communicate through proper spelling, this is a tell-tale sign of societal decay.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:57 PM

So true. I was watching a sitcom recently and they did a scene about that. Wish I could remember which one it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces