Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2022, 06:14 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times

Advertisements

In addition to endorsing higher salaries for teachers who are deserving of them, I would like to see raise pay of police officers, considerably. That's up to the city council, all of the seats are occupied by American Marxists, who favor social workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 07:18 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
In addition to endorsing higher salaries for teachers who are deserving of them, I would like to see raise pay of police officers, considerably. That's up to the city council, all of the seats are occupied by American Marxists, who favor social workers.
I'm not comfortable assigning pay raises to police, whose conversation via radio during peaceful marches was recorded, including comments about armed vigilantes being "armed friendlies". And then surrounding the vigilantes after one shot someone in the crowd, while the person shot lay bleeding in the street.

Before police can get an across-the-board pay raise, some investigations need to be carried out, and some housecleaning done, first. I would hope that's in progress, in view of the fact that the county attorney general filed a lawsuit aimed at preventing vigilantes from setting themselves up as "militias" and competing with LE for authority during public events.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:21 PM

297 posts, read 246,196 times
Default I have lived or visited extensively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque 101 View Post
Tucson and Phoenix have the same issues as Las Cruces as far as everything you described being negative. Have you seen the news and read the stories coming out of there lately?? And, as was mentioned, they are even more expensive. Why not just move to El Paso?
all of the cities mentioned here. Most of the SW sucks, imo. They all have similar problems. Las Cruces IS boring. Most cities are becoming unlivable. That's nationwide. The entire Country is falling apart. If you're rich and can afford high prices, there are many smaller towns and cities that are better. But you're still talking small town. Things are especially bad in warmer climates because that's where everyone wants to move. If you want quality your going to have to give up weather, that's a sad fact. Either that or insulate yourself in a rich enclave close to some city which you only have to visit occasionally. I guess you must be white because NM has a large anti-white pro-hispanic population that is discriminatory. Better yet start looking abroad. The USA is not longer that attractive any longer.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:33 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveareeno5 View Post
NM has a large anti-white pro-hispanic population that is discriminatory. .

Where are they, and how exactly are they discriminating? I keep hearing this from oppressed whites but haven't been a victim yet myself.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:06 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Where are they, and how exactly are they discriminating? I keep hearing this from oppressed whites but haven't been a victim yet myself.
The answer to this is: there are none. This is the most welcoming community I have ever lived in. The idea of some friction to me is nonsensical. In my experience, everyone here respects one another. Is it ideal? No place is. We have challenges here but discrimination isn't one of them.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:22 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The answer to this is: there are none. This is the most welcoming community I have ever lived in. The idea of some friction to me is nonsensical. In my experience, everyone here respects one another. Is it ideal? No place is. We have challenges here but discrimination isn't one of them.

Yeah I just don't see it either. Not in Las Cruces anyway.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
That chart is amazing to me in that Los Alamos is in the bottom categories for salaries and raises. For such a highly educated city, it seems it would be at the top.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:10 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
That chart is amazing to me in that Los Alamos is in the bottom categories for salaries and raises. For such a highly educated city, it seems it would be at the top.
I was very surprised too. The Los Alamos newspaper has an article on this topic and explains why:

Why is this?

“Other districts were able to get larger raises because Los Alamos has the lowest risk factors in the state,” Public Education Secretary Kurt Steinhaus explained. “Title One funds [Federal funds supporting at risk students given to states] go to those Districts with higher risk factors.”

https://ladailypost.com/low-teacher-...ent-retention/

I also found a 1996 news article that stated that Los Alamos teacher salaries were among the highest in the state and implied this was due to federal funding. The state was unhappy with this disparity.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 01-31-2022 at 03:19 PM..

Old 02-01-2022, 08:08 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I was very surprised too. The Los Alamos newspaper has an article on this topic and explains why:

Why is this?

“Other districts were able to get larger raises because Los Alamos has the lowest risk factors in the state,” Public Education Secretary Kurt Steinhaus explained. “Title One funds [Federal funds supporting at risk students given to states] go to those Districts with higher risk factors.”

https://ladailypost.com/low-teacher-...ent-retention/

I also found a 1996 news article that stated that Los Alamos teacher salaries were among the highest in the state and implied this was due to federal funding. The state was unhappy with this disparity.
Thanks for this, very informative.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:40 AM

10 posts, read 5,193 times
I wanted to weigh in here in case it can bring another perspective to people thinking about coming to Las Cruces. I am single, and am a work from home professional. I sold my home out of state and moved to NM in Oct 2021. I now rent.

Where do I start? I think everybodys needs and circumstances are different so take that into consideration.
Pros:
1. The weather is beautiful, dry and mild
2. The vistas are stunning and contribute to joy for me
3. The city is small -ish depending on your definition of that

Cons:
1. The crime is shocking and disturbing. Yesterday I sat at a red light. I spotted a white car speeding at about 80-90 miles per hour coming up behind me. He swerved around me in the right lane only and gunned it through the intersection on a red light! He just missed being killed by another car going through the intersection. I rolled my window down and talked to the car in the next lane who said he couldnt believe what we just saw.
Every day on LC Community Watch on FB you will read story after story of assaults, robberies and crimes happening (including shootings). This is the best place to get a snapshot of day to day life here re: crime.
(* I lived in L.A. and am accustomed to a certain amount of crime for reference purposes)
2. Very limited police force available (I dont have the exact reasons why....pay?)
3. Lack of safety when out shopping - I am definitely afraid to go to certain shopping areas because of the aggression of homeless and the brazen actions by thugs around the city.
4. Vet care is limited here.

So far I have been here only 4 months and its obvious this place is extremely dangerous and safety issues are already hindering me from living my life as a single female.
Many of the locals here are very friendly and kind. I love the restaurants - excellent authentic mexican food.
Again, this place is beautiful. I cant see myself staying in a place where police are not able to protect us on the streets and as we shop & go about our business. I rarely see a police car anywhere on the street. They are mostly likely dealing with murders, hostage situations and other serious crimes. Wish I had better news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces