Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 07:12 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's not Californians. It's lack of housing supply. Many people in the West want cheap housing when they move into town. Then they all of a sudden pull up the drawbridge and stop all future development. That's what happened in California. And Californians (and other newcomers) move to new places only to re-create the same kind of problems as the places they left, compltely blind to how their own thinking and voting patterns created the mess the same that they left behind.

There's no lack of housing, there's just too many people for the amount of housing. You seem to be implying that we continue developing desert and agricultural land for more housing, which not only creates new problems it fails to solve the inital one.

The loss of open desert and agricultural land in just the last 2 years is appalling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 09:49 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
There's no lack of housing, there's just too many people for the amount of housing. You seem to be implying that we continue developing desert and agricultural land for more housing, which not only creates new problems it fails to solve the inital one.

The loss of open desert and agricultural land in just the last 2 years is appalling.
Can you specifically point to examples of open desert and land being acquired in the last 2 years, that make it appalling to you? Open desert is going to be Metro Verde, which has a 10-year master plan, and the parcels are spoken for. Can you name other open desert land acquisitions? When it comes to agricultural land, can you cite a specific instance of a farm sell-off to develop it as residential resale?

Old 01-15-2022, 09:56 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Can you specifically point to examples of open desert and land being acquired in the last 2 years, that make it appalling to you? Open desert is going to be Metro Verde, which has a 10-year master plan, and the parcels are spoken for. Can you name other open desert land acquisitions? When it comes to agricultural land, can you cite a specific instance of a farm sell-off to develop it as residential resale?

I can do both, but I feel no need to justify my statements to you, who are in the real estate business and no doubt profit from it or would be happy to.

open your eyes. Drive around and Look around. You can see it as easily as I can but when you see it you see $$$$

Old 01-15-2022, 10:29 AM

16,075 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That sounds like Santa Fe, as well. Not only that, but many times I had people who were a safe distance away when I changed lanes keep coming at me from behind, as if they didn't know someone was in front of them. When they were just a few feet away, they'd suddenly realize there was someone there, and would start honking, as if I'd cut in front of them, which I hadn't done.

One instance was so extreme, that the car behind was about to hit me before he woke up and noticed I was there. He must have scared himself half to death, because he started dropping back, and continued to drop back farther and farther. I haven't run into this driving behavior in any other state.
Santa Fe is in a class all its own with traffic issues. A perfect storm of overcrowded narrow streets in a cow-path design layout driven by psychopaths, tourists and people who can't leave their cellphone alone. About a third of the traffic downtown is looking for a parking place or how to get out. I was rear ended at a stop light at St Francis Dr. by a guy from New Jersey who floored the accelerator when the light changed to green. He was third in line and the guy in front was hesitating (as is prudent in NM) to make sure some idiot was not running the light. There is a segment of the NM driving population (not just in Santa Fe) that think stoplights and stop signs are just mere suggestions.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:46 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times
Quote:
I can do both, but I feel no need to justify my statements to you, who are in the real estate business and no doubt profit from it or would be happy to.

open your eyes. Drive around and Look around. You can see it as easily as I can but when you see it you see $$$$
I do have access to that data. When properties record with the county assessor, what recording instrument if it was an LLC, or a builder that took possession. It's not as much as you think.

I have a duty, in my broker duties, to have the interests of my client above everyone else, including my own.

Old 01-15-2022, 12:23 PM

16,075 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Quote:
There's no lack of housing, there's just too many people for the amount of housing.

The underlined is the definition of housing shortage.
I keep getting these messages about how housing values are going up significantly in my zip code. This is relatively low developed land with a lot of empty building lots. Land prices are high (ABQ metro). It seems that developers are hell-bent on building homes people don't want or can't afford. In some cases, buyers have no intention of living on top of their neighbor or where the kids walk out the back door and run smack into a wall.

Homebuyer expectations are not in synch with reality. Some new arrivals have too much money to spend and are willing to do it. We see a bunch of overpriced custom homes with few desirable "starters" being built.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:16 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Santa Fe is in a class all its own with traffic issues. A perfect storm of overcrowded narrow streets in a cow-path design layout driven by psychopaths, tourists and people who can't leave their cellphone alone. About a third of the traffic downtown is looking for a parking place or how to get out. I was rear ended at a stop light at St Francis Dr. by a guy from New Jersey who floored the accelerator when the light changed to green. He was third in line and the guy in front was hesitating (as is prudent in NM) to make sure some idiot was not running the light. There is a segment of the NM driving population (not just in Santa Fe) that think stoplights and stop signs are just mere suggestions.
Wow, we need an NM--or Santa Fe--driving thread! I've been rear-ended in a merge lane (the same one, twice) that feeds right-turn traffic from Rodeo Rd. onto Cerrillos. Both times it was due to the person behind me gunning it, as soon as he saw me begin to move. But I always keep my eye out on that intersection for people running the light coming from the south of Cerrillos, so both times, I had to stop for a red-light runner. The second incident was a hit-and-run. The first time, at least the driver was courteous, and stopped to give me his insurance info.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The underlined is the definition of housing shortage.
I keep getting these messages about how housing values are going up significantly in my zip code. This is relatively low developed land with a lot of empty building lots. Land prices are high (ABQ metro). It seems that developers are hell-bent on building homes people don't want or can't afford. In some cases, buyers have no intention of living on top of their neighbor or where the kids walk out the back door and run smack into a wall.

Homebuyer expectations are not in synch with reality. Some new arrivals have too much money to spend and are willing to do it. We see a bunch of overpriced custom homes with few desirable "starters" being built.
This smells like REIT activity. The new thing for Real Estate Investment Trusts is to build developments of houses that look nice on the inside, but that are jammed together on the smallest lot allowable. You'd think that would at least have the advantage of being priced lower, since the land base is smaller, but no. True to form, REITs charge "market rate", i.e. the max they can get away with. REITs have taken over the big rental complexes in Santa Fe (think: Rodeo Road, also south St. Francis Dr.).

There's not as big a profit margin potentially, in building starter homes. It's not something REIT's would do, but local development agencies might. Maybe the latter get outbid for empty land by REIT's, who have much more capital to throw around.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-15-2022 at 02:03 PM..

Old 01-15-2022, 01:32 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,865,758 times
It is so sad what's happened to Santa Fe. It holds no appeal for me at all. I've said before on CD that when I visited Santa Fe while living in NM (for 2 yrs, recently) I felt like I was back in L.A. When I visited in the 1970's it was paradise. Now ruined (IMO). Too many cars, too much traffic, lots of older hippie types working minimum wage jobs (if they want to do that, that's fine, but I wouldn't). It's one of those pronounced "Haves/HaveNots" places.

Old 01-15-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
It is so sad what's happened to Santa Fe. It holds no appeal for me at all. I've said before on CD that when I visited Santa Fe while living in NM (for 2 yrs, recently) I felt like I was back in L.A. When I visited in the 1970's it was paradise. Now ruined (IMO). Too many cars, too much traffic, lots of older hippie types working minimum wage jobs (if they want to do that, that's fine, but I wouldn't). It's one of those pronounced "Haves/HaveNots" places.
Like some other cities before it (Seattle comes immediately to mind), they went in for higher density, but had no way to expand the roads. The city has outgrown its streets. And the big apartment developments just keep coming. And they look cheap and junky. And no one's explained where the water's going to come from to serve those hundreds, if not thousands, of new apartments, townhomes, etc. Answer: there is no secret stash of water. They're going to have to ration their use like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces