Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 07:21 PM

32 posts, read 47,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Santos View Post
From someone who has visited Las Cruces at least 10-15 times over the past couple of years and spent time driving all over town. I can tell you the statement above is 100% BS. I have found 99% of the people in LC to be VERY friendly..from drive-thru workers to people at the grocery store and just folks you run into walking around. Some of the MOST friendly people anywhere I've been (mostly in Texas and Nevada). Certainly more friendly than any folks in the northeast or west coast. I will say there was one or two aggressive horn blowing drivers on Lohman but thats because I was in two lanes at once. LOL

I lived in Chicago for a large chunk of my life and the drivers in Cruces are worse than them, by a mile. You’re a visitor, I drove with them every day for 3+ years.

Need to get onto the street from a parking lot? NOPE! The d-bag in the ‘96 Corsica is going to start driving faster when he sees you coming through the parking lot so he can co*k block you.

Light turned green? Better wait 9 seconds and look both ways because some entitled dirtball in a 1 ton pickup is going to blow his red light at 20mph over the speed limit.

We lived near a residential street with a 35 mph speed limit. Didn’t matter what time of day or night, 75-100 mph. Never saw one car pulled over within eyesight of my house in the three years we lived there. Sure we brought it up to our local leaders but all we got were excuses. Homelessness, drugs and alcohol problems, domestic calls, lack of funding, blah, blah, blah….

In Chicago people were crazy but only because they drove fast. For the most part, they were civil human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 09:00 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcrow46 View Post
We were forced to buy another house after three years. Crime, racing, lack of police in the area we lived. We had to move from the neighborhood we were in and if we were moving then it was going to be out of that third world city…bro.
Hey Redcrow46, glad to hear its working out for you better in Tucson. Out of curiosity, what neighborhood did you live in when you lived in Las Cruces? I understand the presence of that activity, but I would say that there are some areas that doesn't happen in, at all, namely Talavera and Picacho Hills.

Old 06-02-2023, 10:57 AM

981 posts, read 541,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Hey Redcrow46, glad to hear its working out for you better in Tucson. Out of curiosity, what neighborhood did you live in when you lived in Las Cruces? I understand the presence of that activity, but I would say that there are some areas that doesn't happen in, at all, namely Talavera and Picacho Hills.
My sister has lived on North 85 (now called North Valley Road) for decades and has not seen the crime that was described by Redcrow46. I am curious about what neighborhood that was as well. I lived in Cruces in the 80's and I did not always live in a nice neighborhood but I remember the police being much more helpful back then than in any other town or city I have lived in since.

Old 08-27-2023, 09:49 PM

983 posts, read 528,228 times
I lived in Tucson 4 or 5 times, and the unapproachable and often rude people were always why I left. It's unfortunate because I love the beautiful areas, but it was the only place where I was totally unable to make friends. Lots of PC people, and a liberal like me had nothing in common with them. Several times I got an unfriendly vibe when people heard my Southern accent too.

I lived in Cruses twice. It was a lot better than Abq, w/ its in your face crime. My last stay was about 2-3 miles up slope from the mall. Very safe and quiet out there. Downtown, the police were everywhere! Yes, their main station is right by the downtown library so you always see them, but they were overly aggressive.

Loved the co-op and the Wed and Sat downtown market. Otherwise there is very little to do, and finding a good restaurant was quite difficult. It was very hard to find live music of any kind, and on the few occasions they had music it was always country music. That felt very strange for a New Mexico city. Customer service was spotty, and overall the city didn't have much of a S/W culture. I know others say it's a good place to retire, but as a senior, I had only a few outlets to socialize and meet others.

If you have to go to someplace like El Paso to find things to do.........

Last edited by stephenMM; 08-27-2023 at 09:58 PM..

Old 08-28-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I lived in Tucson 4 or 5 times, and the unapproachable and often rude people were always why I left. It's unfortunate because I love the beautiful areas, but it was the only place where I was totally unable to make friends. Lots of PC people, and a liberal like me had nothing in common with them. Several times I got an unfriendly vibe when people heard my Southern accent too.

I lived in Cruses twice. It was a lot better than Abq, w/ its in your face crime. My last stay was about 2-3 miles up slope from the mall. Very safe and quiet out there. Downtown, the police were everywhere! Yes, their main station is right by the downtown library so you always see them, but they were overly aggressive.

Loved the co-op and the Wed and Sat downtown market. Otherwise there is very little to do, and finding a good restaurant was quite difficult. It was very hard to find live music of any kind, and on the few occasions they had music it was always country music. That felt very strange for a New Mexico city. Customer service was spotty, and overall the city didn't have much of a S/W culture. I know others say it's a good place to retire, but as a senior, I had only a few outlets to socialize and meet others.

2-3 miles north of the mall? Were you in High Range?

Old 08-28-2023, 12:58 PM

11,047 posts, read 6,875,918 times
Quote:
What does this even mean? That people were PC because you assumed they didn't like you because of your Southern accent? I'm from California and live in the SE. People here always know I'm from elsewhere. Never been treated unkindly. I really believe that if one is friendly and smiling, other people aren't going to be unfriendly to you. And if they are, they are probably going through something personal and not in a mood to be chit-chatty.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:58 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

There are a lot of people with vacation homes in Tucson; they're there only seasonally. That's probably one factor in your difficulty making friends; people who aren't invested in their community probably aren't looking to make friends. They're just there to get away from the rain in Seattle or the snow in NY or the Midwest.

NM has some good co-ops. And yes, it's frustrating that cowboy music dominates. When I first arrived in NM, you could catch African groups at outdoor music festivals and at venues hosting global music series, and that sort of thing. The music scene has narrowed tremendously, it seems.

There's lots to do in Santa Fe, but living there will cost you.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:08 PM

983 posts, read 528,228 times
Just read in the Las Cruces newspaper that two teens were killed this past weekend in two shootings in Cruces. One happened in a pizza restaurant's parking lot at 4 PM in broad daylight. One was only 14 years old, the other 16. Wow, when we lived there maybe 12 years ago or more, things like this never happened. It was a mostly safe, mostly boring, smallish city in New Mexico. How things have changed.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:41 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Quote:
Just read in the Las Cruces newspaper that two teens were killed this past weekend in two shootings in Cruces. One happened in a pizza restaurant's parking lot at 4 PM in broad daylight. One was only 14 years old, the other 16. Wow, when we lived there maybe 12 years ago or more, things like this never happened. It was a mostly safe, mostly boring, smallish city in New Mexico. How things have changed.
One of these shootings was classified as "involuntary."

Gun deaths among youth have risen dramatically across the country, by 50% from 2019 to 2021. Yes, how things have changed quickly in a short time. Nothing unique to Las Cruces. Too many guns, and too many kids getting access to them, shooting each other accidentally or on purpose.

Old 10-18-2023, 10:42 AM

And also, I would love to know the kids backgrounds and upbringing. I would guess even odds that both these kids were raised by one or no parents. It's a greater sign of overall social rot and decay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces