Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 07:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times

Advertisements

Well, I know about the "3" rule, but there were only two candlesticks and, anyway, they are HUGE. I've posted a better pic so you can see the scale of the situation. And I was really going for unbalanced. Balanced mantels irritate me!

That doesn't change the fact that I don't like the other two items, though. I think they are great, but not up there. Oh won't fuss with it any further until I get the room painted and the Roman shades up, though.

Speaking of which....

I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out what color to paint that room.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-05-2008, 07:39 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,446,083 times
Much better pix, and you are right the sticks are hugh and you can't add anything else. Didn't realize the size of the mantle. I have just the opposite problem, my mantle is 8' and is rough hewn with riverrock behind it.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Much better pix, and you are right the sticks are hugh and you can't add anything else. Didn't realize the size of the mantle. I have just the opposite problem, my mantle is 8' and is rough hewn with riverrock behind it.
Yeah, I knew that it wasn't fair because that other pic was horrible. I HATE my mantle. It matches nothing in that room. It is poorly made and looks ridiculous. The room is a converted garage (I know, I hate converted garages, too). And there are tons of mistakes in it.

The original house is wonderful, but there were some mistakes made over the years, which is to be expected.

And to anyone wondering, yes, the bed in front of the fireplace is for Harvey!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:16 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,138,460 times
Hik, have you tried putting those great candlesticks on the brick hearth side by side instead of up on the mantle? Then, you could put the "WELCOME" off to the left side and the vase on the other side, but not close to the end.

You would maintain your group of three, have a little interest on the hearth and not look too crowded on the mantle. Hmmmm?

Harvey's bed adds the perfect touch!! It is really sweet.

We are supposed to fly out of Atlanta today at 3pm, but they are saying now that due to high winds from Hannah, slights are being delayed by 1/2 to an hour. I hope it isn't cancellation and wait and see time by 3!! I am still packing and unpacking and rearranging. Does anyone else go through this crazy packing thing when they travel?

Last edited by gemkeeper; 09-05-2008 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: one more thought.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Hik, have you tried putting those great candlesticks on the brick hearth side by side instead of up on the mantle? Then, you could put the "WELCOME" off to the left side and the vase on the other side, but not close to the end.

You would maintain your group of three, have a little interest on the hearth and not look too crowded on the mantle. Hmmmm?

Harvey's bed adds the perfect touch!! It is really sweet.

We are supposed to fly out of Atlanta today at 3pm, but they are saying now that due to high winds from Hannah, slights are being delayed by 1/2 to an hour. I hope it isn't cancellation and wait and see time by 3!! I am still packing and unpacking and rearranging. Does anyone else go through this crazy packing thing when they travel?
That's it! They belong on the hearth! Thanks!

Wow. I hadn't thought about flight cancellations in Atlanta. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Harvey just came back from the vet. She says that he is actually closer to two.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:48 PM

780 posts, read 1,766,494 times
Hik, isnt it nice having a house to fix up and decorate, I just wish I could afford to re-decorate, getting tired of everything now so would love to have all new again, I'm enviouse of Smoky Mountain Gal, she got to re-do

Old 09-05-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailli View Post
Hik, isnt it nice having a house to fix up and decorate, I just wish I could afford to re-decorate, getting tired of everything now so would love to have all new again, I'm enviouse of Smoky Mountain Gal, she got to re-do
I use to be so good at this! After all these years, I guess I just lost my touch! I think some of the best stuff that you can find are at yard sales, though!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:16 PM

Oh, I love yard sales and thrift stores, have found some of my best items at both, and I do enjoy the auctions, I havent been lately so I'm due to go soon I think, I dont really need anything else for the house but its always fun to watch and something always seems to come up that you think you cant live without, then you get home and find you have no where to put it

Old 09-05-2008, 02:22 PM

811 posts, read 2,010,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailli View Post
something always seems to come up that you think you cant live without, then you get home and find you have no where to put it

Isn't THAT the truth!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:40 PM

Default 16 yr old Grandaughter and new baby London

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville