Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 06:40 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,538,979 times

Advertisements

GOOD NIGHT AND SWEET DREAMS EVERYONE!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 06:50 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,139,615 times
Smile Well, hello and goodnight!!

Hello, everyone. Make that 2 tall ones, GBH!! Oh, yeah, one of them is for me - I didn't mean 2 for you!! We don't want you tripping through the daisies now, do we?

Congratulations, Pam!! What wonderful news. You are almost home.

Suzanne and all, praying for your safety there in Florida. We fly out of Atlanta on Friday and back in next Wed. evening. Say a little prayer for us, too, please!!

J&Em, I am getting stronger; it is just taking so doggone long this time. I am posting a couple of times a day, but be assured that I am reading many, many posts. I hope I am up to speed when we leave for Texas to visit one of our sons and his family this Friday. I'm going, regardless, so I would just as soon do it at my own quick-time speed!

Hiknapster, Harvey is adorable. Lauren is beautiful with Joe-Joe Jingles. She always looks so sweet and happy. I am definitely a crate dog owner. It is a favor for your dog as well as your family.

Dogs are den dwellers. The crate becomes a safe haven for him and should never be used as a punishment area. We always had the boys sleep with an old tee shirt or blanket or towel for a couple of days before we got our dogs. Dogs just seem to naturally trust and love kids and that smell on the tee shirt, now in the crate, is a comfort to the new dog. It has worked every time.

I don't think it matters if it is a young dog or an older dog - if he is new to your home, he will probably cry the first night or two. A comforting word is okay, but taking him out of the crate and into your room is a BIG mistake. He will always be in your room!! He is scared and asking for help if he cries, so yelling at him to "Shut up and go to sleep!!" is going to work as well for the new puppy as it would for a newborn baby just home from the hospital.

I agree with GBH. A confined dog in a safe, non-destructible place in your house is going to learn to take care of that space. They do not like to soil their dens. The kitchen with a baby gate becomes that special place and after a couple of misses, he will learn to respect the cleanliness of his space. Any accidents should be transfered, with paper towels of course, to the spot where you want him to "Do good outside." Pretty soon, that will be the place where he wants to do his "outside".

Harvey looks very alert and intelligent. I bet he'll be a snap to train. He will love pleasing all of you. "Love, love, love!! All we need is love." Works great with children, and big, grown up children, and it really works with dogs.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:07 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
Quick update:

Harvey went shopping at PetSmart. He felt great!

Come to find out, he is house-trained and very smart and polite.

For anyone worrying, he is in the house, not in a crate. One more hour and I will check on him. He won't actually be alone too long. Four days a week, and only for a few hours at a time.

He is such a wiggle butt!

Joe-Joe is another story.

I'll tell you when I get home!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,331,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Okay! Just picked up Harvey!

He's 10 to 12 months, not two years, and he is supposed to be resting due to his surgery. Currently, he is dragging Fred up the street.

We walked him by the cats, yesterday. And he looked bored.

He just met Joe-Joe Jingles and it was instant hate.

Right now, we are trying to figure out if we tie him outside or crate him, tomorrow. All suggestions are welcome!

I don't think he is house trained!

Here is a picture of Harvey. He is beautiful.

I also had to take a picture of Joe-Joe Jingles because he is sooooo ticked off. He will talk to Lauren, and only Lauren.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Hik, your new friend Harvey reminds me SOOO much of my Dusty. If he is only 10 to 12 months old and seems so smart, you may have a Rhodesian Ridgeback (or a mix of) verses a Sharpie/Hound mix on your hands, which is a good thing! I noticed that our pound here, gets breeds wrong, ...a lot.
When we got our Trixie, on the label of her cage it said "Laso mix" and she is really a Tibetan Terrier and the vet agrees they see no laso in her.
I was told Dusty was a golden lab/golden retriever type mix, but she fit the ridgeback mold so much that we know (and vet agreed) that is what she was. The best dog I ever had, I miss her so much even still.
Harvey's snout seems a bit thicker than Dusty's but if he grows any more, I bet he will look very close to this.

But Dusty LOVED cats, she took on the responsibility for them whether we liked it or not, and any other critter we brought home, not so much if it wasn't ours though hahahahahaha

If you really do have a Ridgeback (that also has all that extra skin around the neck and jaw areas like a sharpie and not always a very defined "ridge") or a mix of, consider yourself very lucky. They are extremely smart, loyal dogs. When he realizes that y'all belong to him, he will stick to you like glue if anyone else is around, will be a great protector of Lauren...weather Jo-Jo likes it or not hahahahaha.
I never leashed or fenced Dusty, didn't have to. I showed her the borders of a yard and she didn't leave them. We left her in the house, not crated or confined, and she never caused damage or wet/messed in the house. Leave the TV or radio on for him when he is home alone, hearing human voices is a lot of time enough comfort to a dog that they don't feel alone and that is usually what causes a dog to act out.
Check out the breed and watch for signs of behavior of this breed as well. Scroll down to the pictures at the bottom of the page, I can really see the similarities between those pups and Harvey. I can see it in the eyes, ears, paws, tails and color in your picture of Harvey. His body may get thiner for a bit as he grows, and he may go a day or two without eating or drinking, if he is a Rhodesian, this is normal, Dusty would do this and we thought she was sick but found out is just part of the breed.
Rhodesian Ridgeback Information and Pictures, Ridgebacks

However, no matter what breed he is, enjoy that beautiful pup, he will bring you and the family much joy.

Last edited by mbmouse; 09-03-2008 at 07:45 AM..

Old 09-03-2008, 07:48 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,395,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Hik, your dog is beautiful, your daughter is beautiful, your dog is beautiful-- not necessarily in that order!
Meant to say your dog is beautiful, your daughter is beautiful, your mantel is beautiful. But speaking of said dog, I'm glad he's settling in well.

And I'm glad Gem is up and around (and tap-tap-tapping away) and that our FL friends are safe and hurricane-free.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,538,979 times
Good Morning Everyone!!!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~Have a very great day today!!!!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 AM

811 posts, read 2,011,245 times
good afternoon ladies and gentlemen!
Our countdown has begun, just 1 week from today I will be in my new place!!! YIPPEE!!

Pam--congrats to you and Bill-I am so glad ya'll decided to do that. Now hurry up and get back here--you have to be here for the party

Old 09-03-2008, 10:37 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,077,227 times
Party, someone mention a party........

Old 09-03-2008, 10:54 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,139,615 times
Hey, everyone!! Guess who I just talked to? Okay, you don't have to guess . . . I'll tell ya!! Bebette!! Our own sweet bebette is fine and called me to let me know that all is well.

Her computer died 2 weeks ago and she is waiting for her new one to arrive by Monday!!!

She and DH are fine, have been house-hunting in their favorite area, and will be seeing Ricky Scaggs in Dollywood this week!

She wants everyone to know how much she misses you all and that she is dying to get on C-D (We know that feeling!!) and catch up on everything!!

HUGS TO YOU, BEBETTE!!!

(Pam, I am off to the cardiologist, but will send you a message as soon as I return - if I return!! )

Old 09-03-2008, 11:07 AM

74 posts, read 174,054 times
Harvey, is beautiful I wishedyou many years of happiness with him. I'm glad you didn't crate him I have always kept my dogs in one room with a baby gate until they were trained. I agree, with the heat and humidity it's too hot for dogs or cats too be outside. Your cat is adorable too. Tnsr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville