Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,986 times

Advertisements

No, I just don't like the misinformation you post. Based upon 'several of your cousins', you made a blanket statement about an entire city.

And what's magic about age 23?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 08:34 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
No, I just don't like the misinformation you post. Based upon 'several of your cousins', you made a blanket statement about an entire city.

And what's magic about age 23?
Getting married in your early 20s or earlier is pretty young compared to other major metropolitan areas these days. At that age I would expect many to be finishing up school and in career driver mode.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 AM

886 posts, read 2,227,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is nonsense. JOCO and KC are not any more family friendly compared to many other places in the country. I didn't know we were doing natalistic comparisons. We have already discussed the fact that many people in KC get married at a younger age compared to the national average as well. That means a less vibrant singles scene.
Well, according to Forbes... yeah.. it is a better place for a family.

In Depth: America's Best Places To Raise A Family - Forbes.com

Not saying Forbes has the final say... but this is just from a quick google search, I'm sure I've seen it on other list as well...

Now lets look at the marriage you keep talking about.

Interactive Map - The States of Marriage and Divorce - Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Median ages for Men in the US is 28, for women it is 26. In Missouri, the median age is 27 for men, and 26 for women.

That is only 1 age younger for men. I suppose you have some statistics to show that Kansas City just has an extremely higher amount of younger marriages?

I can't find specifics for KC, maybe someone else can... there doesn't seem to be any shortage of single people in P&L or Westport on any given night of the week...

Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 AM

396 posts, read 999,577 times
Granite Stater - Just out of curiousity how old were you when you last lived in the KC area full time? After college did you move back for a time?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
Granite Stater - Just out of curiousity how old were you when you last lived in the KC area full time? After college did you move back for a time?
As soon as I graduated college I left. (This was a few years ago) It was primarily due to the poor job market in my career field more than anything else. I am not going to disclose my age as that is personal.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Well, according to Forbes... yeah.. it is a better place for a family.

In Depth: America's Best Places To Raise A Family - Forbes.com

Not saying Forbes has the final say... but this is just from a quick google search, I'm sure I've seen it on other list as well...

Now lets look at the marriage you keep talking about.

Interactive Map - The States of Marriage and Divorce - Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Median ages for Men in the US is 28, for women it is 26. In Missouri, the median age is 27 for men, and 26 for women.

That is only 1 age younger for men. I suppose you have some statistics to show that Kansas City just has an extremely higher amount of younger marriages?

I can't find specifics for KC, maybe someone else can... there doesn't seem to be any shortage of single people in P&L or Westport on any given night of the week...
Well, those are figures for the entire state so it would be interesting to see how KC differs from STL with regard to median age of first marriage.

Also, cheap COL states tend to attract a more natalistic population anyway as they tend to get squeezed out of the higher COL states. I am not taking into account underlying socially conservative areas with that prior statement.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:39 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,865,367 times
We're way off topic by this point. Nothing new.
Having lived in six states, and been in over half the others, I'd agree that KC's single scene is lackluster compared to a host of other places, and it is very family oriented, hence lot's of families. People who haven't lived elsewhere (especially not outside the midwest) don't seem to understand the comparison. Yeah, there's singles down at the P&L and Westport, and maybe it isn't too shabby, but if you think those places are hoppin', you ain't seen nothin'. But then there's the fact that singles everywhere complain about the dating pool to some degree. So there's that.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Everywhere there are single people, there are single people complaining that
a. there are no other single people
b. the single people there are have nowhere to go and nothing to do.
This happens everywhere, in every city, regardless of size, of actual population of single people, and of how many things there are to do.
If you haven't met somebody it's ALWAYS the fault of the community.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,311 times
Default Another question about 64151

Hi all - we took a trip out to KC recently to look for houses. Anyone know anything about Tremont Manor in KCMO? We see great houses, nice neighborhood, convenient to shops, great schools, and great commute to Downtown. We are just unsure as to why the houses don't seem to be moving in this area. Wide range of prices (500's to 925) but nothing seems to be selling. Any thoughts? Hoping those more local to the area can help us.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:01 AM

26 posts, read 82,792 times
I'd imagine the price......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City