Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:57 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,502,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
For example, Samantha is always singing praises of the JoCo schools but they are not any better than the schools on the Missouri side. In fact, I have a couple of friends who have experience teaching at JoCo schools and schools in the northland and they said they would choose the schools in the northland as both a parent with kids and as a teacher anytime.
Certainly there are people who prefer the Northland. When we moved last year, we had the choice of living anywhere in the metro. Commute-wise Northland would have been more convenient and we looked there. But in the end, based on the hundreds of people we talked to over the years, parents, students, teachers from all over, we thought we were making the right choice for our kids. Then when we got here and started the school year, I was absolutely blown away by the differences between our old school (also in JoCo), the other schools in the metro we had looked at, and BV schools.

This is just my experience and so yes, I do feel compelled to share it with people who say they are looking for the best schools. I am convinced we found the best. But I also agree that just about all of the suburban schools are going to be good, some even great. They all want to remain competitive.

Ultimately, I don't claim that everyone's experience will be the same as mine. But I do highly recommend looking at SM and BV.

Quote:
But, you are right on with the traffic issue. I work in JoCo but live in the Northland. Traffic is a million times worse in JoCo. A certain times of the day, it takes forever to get anywhere in JoCo. I take my lunch at 11 because if it didnt, I would never get back within my allotted time. I dont have those issues up north. Unless there is a wreck, there is not really traffic anywhere except major intersections.
Business and pleasure take me all over the metro. I've never found traffic to be much of a problem. You will quickly learn the times and routes to avoid the worst of it no matter where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,536,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
I've never found traffic to be much of a problem. You will quickly learn the times and routes to avoid the worst of it no matter where you live.
Like 119th and Metcalf??

Old 05-04-2010, 12:25 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,502,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Like 119th and Metcalf??
That's one of the worst, especially during rush hour. But honestly, even that isn't so bad, relatively speaking. The new exit from Antioch and exit onto 69 highway have improved things over there a little.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:14 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,234,402 times
Where is the OP working? If the employer is near the Plaza (this is the district around 47th and Wornall) rather than Downtown, then there are some distinct advantages to northeast Johnson County, Kansas.

Mission Woods is walkable to the Plaza, and along with its larger neighbor Mission Hills, both are reminiscent of Wellesley (although lots are generally not as large in metro KC as the fancy western suburbs of Boston like Dover). Fairway is also nice, like parts of Newton. Northern Leawood (north of 95th) is farther, but not a bad commute to the Plaza via Ward Parkway.

All of the above are in the SM-East high school district, which is nationally top-ranked.

If private schools are the plan, then the Missouri-side neighborhoods in the same area (Westwood Park, Sunset Hill, Country Club, and Brookside) should also be included in your search.

A bit further out, Prairie Village is a relative bargain. Mostly postwar, but still quite nice, maybe more like Natick or Framingham.

South Leawood and the other distant JoCo suburbs (Lenexa, Olathe, etc.) are all fairly recently constructed, and quite distant to both the Plaza and to Downtown.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:31 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is nonsense. JOCO and KC are not any more family friendly compared to many other places in the country. I didn't know we were doing natalistic comparisons. We have already discussed the fact that many people in KC get married at a younger age compared to the national average as well. That means a less vibrant singles scene.
Nor are they any less, as you have stated or implied in too many posts to count. OneKC was talking about areas within KC, not nationwide.

Also, because you have 'discussed' something does not make it true. You need to back up your case if you're going to make blanket statements like '...people in KC get married at a younger age, blah, blah.' I'm calling pure BS on that one.

Incidentally, the OP asked nothing at all about the 'vibrant singles scene' or lack thereof.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 7,309 times
Hi all - thanks for all the input. As a MA native (from Framingham no less Westender!) who has travelled to KCMO once, it really is helpful to hear all this info. The relo job is in the 64105 zip area (and because I am not familiar, I am not sure what district in KCMO metro that may be) and I have been doing most of my research through broker websites to see what areas are good for commuting. Then I check out city-data and greatschools.com as well as the local towns websites for info. It can be a bit overwhelming, but all of you have given me some great info. Our family has a dog, loves soccer and softball (so far) and our children are in the 8-10 year old range. Our current neighborhood is a cul-de sac, off busy street with limited walking... but nice families. We may like close proximity to walking trails and parks to ride bikes and walk the dog. Like the feel of the burb... and if we could have afforded it here in MA would have been closer to Boston (like Wellesley), but as you get closer to Boston prices skyrocket for a nice house and no lot. I like the look of those burbs (64151 and 64152) but a friend of a friend... mentioned there was an issue with a builder who overbuilt and when bankrupt... still I think that can happen anywhere, but we want a quality (probably newer) house. Tremont Manor in 64151 appeals to us, any thoughts on that? Like Riss Lake too....

Old 05-04-2010, 04:48 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,456 times
64105 is downtown proper. Being up north would probably be advantageous, from a commuting standpoint, but be aware that the traffic here is nothing compared to the east coast.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Sounds like you will really like the KC area. Tremont Manor and Riss Lake are both very pricy, from what I remember, there are few homes in those areas for less than 400k. VERY nice areas, built into the hills or around the Riss Lake. Also close to I-29 for easy commuting. That would be a 10-15 minute commute to the downtown loop. From southern Platte, you have far more highway options to get into Downtown than from any other suburban area. You can take I-29/I-35 (which is being widened now and a new MO river bridge is being built), or you can take 169, Route 9 or Route 69, none of which will have a delay more than ten minutes unless there is a major wreck or something.

But as Westender said, you might look south of the city along state line as well. If you can afford areas like Riss Lake and Tremont Manor, then you might look into those areas which have a lot of character, but they are still suburban in nature, even Brookside. Although you will have to go private schools on the MO side in that part of kcmo. Areas like South Plaza are only about 10-15 minutes from Downtown as well and they are within walking distance of the Country Club Plaza. There are plenty of upscale areas in other suburbs, but if you go suburban, there is little reason to live clear out in Lee's Summit or Overland Park when you can live in southern Platte County and be ten minutes from downtown in some of the nicest topography in the metro with some of the best schools in the metro.

You might also check out Briarcliff. Briarcliff West is very upscale though, probably even more than Riss Lake, but I don't know what you can afford. The views of the city from Briarcliff are breathtaking, you are still in a suburban area with suburban schools, though another 5 minutes closer to Downtown. Old Briarcliff is more diverse, but the homes on the cliffs overlooking the city are amazing and that area is a very tight community. Briarcliff is partially in Clay County, which really doesn’t matter.

Briarcliff West

Last edited by kcmo; 05-04-2010 at 06:37 PM..

Old 05-05-2010, 12:47 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,234,402 times
64105 is indeed downtown, so the Northland makes sense for suburban living.

If your kids are going to parochial or private schools, then I'd look at certain city neighborhoods: Westwood Park just west of the Plaza, or the areas in the 30s west of Summit/ SW Trafficway (Roanoke and Coleman Highlands). That is where Thomas Hart Benton lived, and both neighborhoods used to be quite fancy. You are nicely isolated there, with the large hill (Signboard Hill) to the north and the Trafficway/ B'Way/ Main Street corridors to the east. However, downtown/ Crown Center is 10 minutes northeast and the Plaza and Westport are 10 minutes south.

Sadly, the KCMO public schools are a shadow of their former selves, even in the best city neighborhoods.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:15 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Nor are they any less, as you have stated or implied in too many posts to count. OneKC was talking about areas within KC, not nationwide.

Also, because you have 'discussed' something does not make it true. You need to back up your case if you're going to make blanket statements like '...people in KC get married at a younger age, blah, blah.' I'm calling pure BS on that one.

Incidentally, the OP asked nothing at all about the 'vibrant singles scene' or lack thereof.
Do you enjoy stalking my posts? Yes, I know several of my cousins who got married younger than 23. They all immediately moved to the suburbs as well. Most of my extended family has never lived anywhere other than JOCO so that is not surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City