Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,642,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
The fact that you can't buy an inexpensive, older home in the urban part of the city (Kansas City, Missouri south of the river) without it being in the ghetto.

I've been researching Minneapolis, Minnesota. In Minneapolis you can buy an inexpensive, older home within the city proper and still be in a fairly safe area. The housing stock is more well-maintained too. The high crime areas in Minneapolis are restricted to a smaller part of the city (mostly north Minneapolis). There are downscale neighborhoods in Minneapolis with low home prices and low crime rates. You don't get that in KCMO. In KCMO, if an area has low home prices it usually has high crime rates as well.
Waldo is chock full of older, inexpensive homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 01:08 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,391,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Waldo is chock full of older, inexpensive homes.
What you're saying is true, but Waldo is really more of an inner ring suburb than urban core.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,492 times
What's to hate? It's a great town - small town atmosphere with big-city stuff . . . . it's got everything (except an ocean).

Old 08-23-2010, 05:23 PM

398 posts, read 994,523 times
I thought Waldo home prices were more in line with Plaza/Brookside prices? Waldo is a nice neighborhood. When I say inexpensive I'm talking about less than $100,000.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:25 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,866,433 times
There are nice homes in the urban parts of the Twin Cities for less than 100k?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Quote:
I thought Waldo home prices were more in line with Plaza/Brookside prices? Waldo is a nice neighborhood. When I say inexpensive I'm talking about less than $100,000.
Depends on where in Waldo you're talking. There's quite a bit in Waldo that doesn't touch Brookside or Plaza prices.

Re: perceptions of crime, etc., not to fan the flames, but when we lived on the Plaza, we nearly exclusively grocery shopped at the Westport Sunfresh, mostly because it was right by the World Market across from Westport Landing, where we would also pick up quite a bit. I also had numerous coworkers, etc. express dismay, to put it mildly, if I mentioned running there for groceries, and "You'll get shot!" wasn't actually a horribly uncommon refrain. Whatever. I also rode the 51 bus to my then-job downtown, and got a lot of horrified comments about my "ghetto" ride to work,too, for what it's worth. And, when we moved to Waldo, I also got the "You'll get shot" commentary regarding the Ward Parkway Target. SMH.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:51 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,466,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Depends on where in Waldo you're talking. There's quite a bit in Waldo that doesn't touch Brookside or Plaza prices.

Re: perceptions of crime, etc., not to fan the flames, but when we lived on the Plaza, we nearly exclusively grocery shopped at the Westport Sunfresh, mostly because it was right by the World Market across from Westport Landing, where we would also pick up quite a bit. I also had numerous coworkers, etc. express dismay, to put it mildly, if I mentioned running there for groceries, and "You'll get shot!" wasn't actually a horribly uncommon refrain. Whatever. I also rode the 51 bus to my then-job downtown, and got a lot of horrified comments about my "ghetto" ride to work,too, for what it's worth. And, when we moved to Waldo, I also got the "You'll get shot" commentary regarding the Ward Parkway Target. SMH.
Nowadays people mention the Waldo rapist because thats what they see on the news. I'm done watching the news, all it does is promote fear in people.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:00 PM

398 posts, read 994,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
There are nice homes in the urban parts of the Twin Cities for less than 100k?
Yes there are some. Mostly in the central/south parts of Minneapolis.

What I'm trying to say is KC would be a lot better city if the eastern part of the city was not such a ghetto. Someplace where you can feel safe as a young person buying a starter home and investing in the community. You can buy a nice older home in that part of the city for $50,000, but you have to deal with gunshots, burglaries, vandalism, etc.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,249,837 times
Quote:
Yes there are some. Mostly in the central/south parts of Minneapolis.

What I'm trying to say is KC would be a lot better city if the eastern part of the city was not such a ghetto. .
We will get right on that. Call Funkhouser right now!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:32 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,642,167 times
Minneapolis is a cool town and there's some fantastic urban renewal taking place there -- it's a great place as long as you can stand the cold.

That said, to pretend as though Mlps has no problems with violence and crime is crazy talk. It's nickname from the 90s still sticks to this day: Murderopolis.

All cities have crime; all cities have "ghettos" KC is no different.

Also -- if Waldo isn't city enough (which I totally understand the point) I would also say that there are many houses in Midtown, Volker, Westport, and West Plaza that run under 125k. Being 5-10 minutes from downtown for a price like that is going to be pretty much unheard of in any major city.

The notion of complaining about real estate prices here is just crazy -- it's one of the cheaper big cities in America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City