Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times

Advertisements

I can't believe nobody has posted this article.

Kansas side fuels metro area’s job growth - KansasCity.com

Old 06-30-2012, 04:31 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,204 times
Wasn't that because they offered up a bunch of tax breaks to get a few companies in MO to move across the state line? It's not growth, it's poaching and thats typical kansas behavior, they always want what belongs to someone else. I suspect many in ks voted for Barry.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:39 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
Wasn't that because they offered up a bunch of tax breaks to get a few companies in MO to move across the state line? It's not growth, it's poaching and thats typical kansas behavior, they always want what belongs to someone else. I suspect many in ks voted for Barry.
yea, no joke. not a lot to brag about really. Number one poaching state in the country? Where would KS be if it couldn't just take things from kcmo and place them in joco and call themselves a success story?

It wouldn't be good, that's for sure.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:26 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
I heard about a bunch of new jobs on the Kansas side yesterday. It seems the Kansas DMV in Johnson County has had to hire a boatload of new workers to manually enter volumes of data because of the gigantic computer system screwup. I can't remember the figure, but the price tag was staggering. Well done, Kansas government!!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:09 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I heard about a bunch of new jobs on the Kansas side yesterday. It seems the Kansas DMV in Johnson County has had to hire a boatload of new workers to manually enter volumes of data because of the gigantic computer system screwup. I can't remember the figure, but the price tag was staggering. Well done, Kansas government!!

This is a reason to cheer Kansas government? Seriously?

Study: Health care in Kansas, Missouri is set to add thousands of jobs - Kansas City Business Journal

I have to wonder if the OP understand the difference between job growth in the service sectors and the growth of wealth for a region. Service sectors do not produce anything and as such wealth is not created; it is merely shuffled about like a pea in a shell game. Without a growth in the wealth of a region (usually from manufacturing and the production of goods, including agriculture) what you end up with is a downward shift in the middle class.

But yeah, lets all cheer Kansas Government for poaching jobs at the expense of taxpayers on both sides of the State Line.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:22 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
Cerner is probably the single biggest job growth company though, on the MO side. And they are bringing in thousands from outside KC.

I wish KC metro could think of itself as one single metro instead of this MO/KS division. But I can only dream. The OneKC campaign attempted to do this at the commerce level but obviously failed. It's really about counties that do better than other counties like in any metro, but in KC we make it a stateline thing. Everybody is guilty of contributing to perpetuating stateline divisions even though we all ***** it happens. So if you want it end, at least don't contribute to perpetuating it even though others do. Yeah I do catch myself doing it even though I try not to.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
yea, no joke. not a lot to brag about really. Number one poaching state in the country? Where would KS be if it couldn't just take things from kcmo and place them in joco and call themselves a success story?

It wouldn't be good, that's for sure.
I was hoping that by posting the article here, somebody would take it more in depth. I know at least one poster here is excellent with statistics.

It appears that the 5000+ (I believe it's 5700) jobs Kansas added are a NET GAIN to the metro, which would mean shuffled jobs are not included.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Cerner is probably the single biggest job growth company though, on the MO side. And they are bringing in thousands from outside KC.

I wish KC metro could think of itself as one single metro instead of this MO/KS division. But I can only dream. The OneKC campaign attempted to do this at the commerce level but obviously failed. It's really about counties that do better than other counties like in any metro, but in KC we make it a stateline thing. Everybody is guilty of contributing to perpetuating stateline divisions even though we all ***** it happens. So if you want it end, at least don't contribute to perpetuating it even though others do. Yeah I do catch myself doing it even though I try not to.
Cerner seems to be. I wonder how may *new* jobs Missouri has added to the metro that have simply replaced the same number of lost jobs, hence no net growth on the Missouri side.

It would be nice if the poaching stopped, sure, but the state line will never be fictional. There are always going to be state government differences in which one side may be more appealing to businesses looking at relocation. If Brownback succeeds in creating such an environment, that state will be Kansas.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:35 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I was hoping that by posting the article here, somebody would take it more in depth. I know at least one poster here is excellent with statistics.

It appears that the 5000+ (I believe it's 5700) jobs Kansas added are a NET GAIN to the metro, which would mean shuffled jobs are not included.
To hope for more than the continued Hatfields and McCoys mindless onslaught against all things Kansas in this forum is to hope for a lot.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:54 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
The problem isn't unique to kc. Boeing pulled the last of their jobs from wichita and moved them to okc ans san antonio. What's devastating to one area is celebrated in another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City