Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 06:09 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Minneapolis is a cool town and there's some fantastic urban renewal taking place there -- it's a great place as long as you can stand the cold.

That said, to pretend as though Mlps has no problems with violence and crime is crazy talk. It's nickname from the 90s still sticks to this day: Murderopolis.

All cities have crime; all cities have "ghettos" KC is no different.

Also -- if Waldo isn't city enough (which I totally understand the point) I would also say that there are many houses in Midtown, Volker, Westport, and West Plaza that run under 125k. Being 5-10 minutes from downtown for a price like that is going to be pretty much unheard of in any major city.

The notion of complaining about real estate prices here is just crazy -- it's one of the cheaper big cities in America!
RE investments in MPLS are a much better bet than KCMO based on employment percentage changes alone! The reasons why KC RE is cheap in many parts of the metro? JOBS, SUPPLY AND DEMAND, and PERCEPTION of future growth/decline prospects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:06 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
GraniteStater, you talk like KC is Detroit or something. KC's economy is one of the best in the Midwest and tends to be pretty close to MSP, which is typically number one in the Midwest, but not all that much better than KC really. It's not that's is boom town, but just consitant, yet modest and healthy growth.

You also seem to always look at the KC economy form only a KCMO stats perspective. While it sucks that KCMO has lost so many jobs (including those that just jump the state line), I don't think KC (being a central urban city) and Jackson County (being a primary urban county) are all that alone. Many town deal with this. It's worse in KC because of the state line, but the overall stats are about the same in the end.

While I do think the state line really screws up urban KC worse than most metros, for the most part, the metro isn't doing all that bad when it comes to pure job and growth stats.

Now the kind of city KC is growing into with so much of KCMO's economy moving to KS is a different story and that can in fact be compared to Detroit where nearly the entire economy of that metro is far from the urban core which created one of the more least desirable metropolitan areas it live in. Detroit is nothing more than a bunch of suburbs in a cold part of the country.

But still, KC does ok. I think it grows at about 12% a year and the MO side is growing just as fast as the KS side. Like I said, the big problem with KC is the migration of jobs from MO to KS. It's ok in moderation, but KC's numbers and the incentives thrown around metro KC to make moves happen are "off the charts" ridiculous and ultimately not good for the entire metro area in the long run.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:25 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
GraniteStater, you talk like KC is Detroit or something. KC's economy is one of the best in the Midwest and tends to be pretty close to MSP, which is typically number one in the Midwest, but not all that much better than KC really. It's not that's is boom town, but just consitant, yet modest and healthy growth.

You also seem to always look at the KC economy form only a KCMO stats perspective. While it sucks that KCMO has lost so many jobs (including those that just jump the state line), I don't think KC (being a central urban city) and Jackson County (being a primary urban county) are all that alone. Many town deal with this. It's worse in KC because of the state line, but the overall stats are about the same in the end.

While I do think the state line really screws up urban KC worse than most metros, for the most part, the metro isn't doing all that bad when it comes to pure job and growth stats.

Now the kind of city KC is growing into with so much of KCMO's economy moving to KS is a different story and that can in fact be compared to Detroit where nearly the entire economy of that metro is far from the urban core which created one of the more least desirable metropolitan areas it live in. Detroit is nothing more than a bunch of suburbs in a cold part of the country.

But still, KC does ok. I think it grows at about 12% a year and the MO side is growing just as fast as the KS side. Like I said, the big problem with KC is the migration of jobs from MO to KS. It's ok in moderation, but KC's numbers and the incentives thrown around metro KC to make moves happen are "off the charts" ridiculous and ultimately not good for the entire metro area in the long run.
Look at the metro county by county breakdown for MPLS and KC. MPLS has a much higher median household income for all counties combined- including the urban core counties. Hennepin County, for example has a median household income of at least $15,000 more than Jackson County- which is a substantial difference. All of the suburban counties have income levels comprable to JOCO. The "poorest" MPLS county is Ramsey, but median household income there ranks nearly $20,000 higher than Wyandotte County.
Population growth does not mean much at all when job growth increases half as fast or less... MPLS economy is MUCH healthier than KC's without a doubt, and MN is generally considered a higher tax state to boot. That makes the numbers even more impressive.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,587 times
I thought I'd inject something positive about KCMO from New Mexico.

Positive #1. KC is the Paris of the American Midwest. Beautiful fountains. Sophisticated in a lot of respects.

Positive #2. People aren't that rude. You want rude? Try Boston or Massachusetts.

Positive #3. Relatively inexpensive place to live. Try living on minimum wage in Colorado. Much more difficult there.

Positive #4. Green rolling hills. Just awesome!

Positive #5. Beats almost everywhere in California. Sorry KC is so much better than LA.

Positive #6. Many delicious places to eat. Arthur Bryant is just one of hundreds!

Positive #7. Good road systems. Denver should come and study KC's transportation system.

Positive #8. Lot's to do! Chiefs, Royals, KS speedway.

Positive #9. Distinction of playing in the first Super bowl

and #10;

It's alway very satisfying when the Chiefs put an a$% whopping on the Denver Donkeys! Very satisfying.

I am biased because I lived in Lee's Summit as a kid. But it's all true if you ask me!

Old 08-31-2010, 05:37 AM

5 posts, read 20,882 times
I am personally disappointed in Kansas City's undeveloped riverfront. There is a massive area of land just north of downtown that is completely underutilized. Also, the CBD is plagued with too many surface lots. The value of downtown real estate is only going to go up within the next few years; lot owners would be wise to collaborate with prospective property seekers for the sake of downtown's prosperity and quality. Thankfully, Kansas City is a city that respects and honors it's history. Many of the city's oldest buildings are still standing and are being renovated into green office space or loft living. As a resident of downtown, I see the changes happening in the city everyday. Soon enough, KC will be a forced with which to be reckoned.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:53 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,478 times
People always said the Irish Fest was much better when it was around the River. I'm sure some kind of crime or shooting happened and now thats why it's not there anymore. Personally i think Irish Fest should be back on top of the hill like in westport where all the Irish actually settled.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
People always said the Irish Fest was much better when it was around the River. I'm sure some kind of crime or shooting happened and now thats why it's not there anymore. Personally i think Irish Fest should be back on top of the hill like in westport where all the Irish actually settled.
Parking problems caused some issues. But it was mostly Crown Center stepping up as a sponcer. It helps them fill hotels and the mall so they sponcer events like that and help market them.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,010 times
i did not like that there was nobody there!

i lived in the river mkt
worked in crown
walked home at 2/2:30 in the morning

no souls none
nobody
it has been a couple of years

i am sure there is a bum or two
but overall no place open
for anything..

oh except on broadway. that one joint that had a 3 am license

oh and no grocery store when i lived there
god i hope they have one now

travel time to get food w the f?

i liked kcmo
no kck

i just wish they had a clue
that big business is good to give tax breaks to
small business is better
otherwise you have a big mall

cordish group from md

ha

see the power plant live..

always business turnover..
to big!!!

if you treat it like a mall then you know you only need a couple of anchor
stores. one on each end..

oh well you'll see kc
drunk 20 somethings pukin on the sidewalk
when you could have culture
or is that your culture?

remember i like kcmo and see potential. lots of it!
business and politicians are vin an oil.
shake it up and it looks good
let it sit
well?

not a good typist here.. punctuation better with less whine...
short hand is good

Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,353 times
The earnings tax.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,961 times
Hate the school system...national disgrace. Lack of co-operation amoung neighboring cities...but who would want to team up with KC, MO? Failing tax base means infrastructure problems. Lack of political leadership, local to national. Stop me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City