Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 04:15 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
At least two, that is, legal ones!
Three is the answer I have:

May 10, 1839
June 24, 1887
June 29, 1894
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:11 AM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Are you saying I'm classic old elementary, or that my school was?

My only classroom for the three years I spent here was in the basement on the backside. Hmm, that may explain a few things about me!

Is that Columbian or Bryant?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 AM

Robert B. Depugh ran for the Missouri Fourth Congressional District Democrat primary in 1952, he finished fourth in a field of five candidates.

At Biolab, after it was moved to Norborne, Mo., Depugh told a reporter for the Kansas City Star that he had developed a deadly nerve agent. He computed a minimum effective dose to try on his old Irish Wolf hound. He then cut the dose by ten and put a drop on the dog’s nose. It took a few steps and dropped dead.

The building at 613 East Alton (23rd Street) served first for Depugh's Biolab operation, then became the Minutemen headquarters, then became headquarters for the Patriotic Party. The building was bombed on August 31, 1967. That action plus the widening of Alton street spelled the end for the building.

The Minutemen claimed communists had bombed the building.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Is that Columbian or Bryant?
That was Bryant, that building is no longer with us.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

I am curious if anyone remembers a large single deck baseball stadium with a covered roof and maybe even advertising in the outfield that was located, I thought, on a street corner intersecting with Hardesty or Van Brunt Blvd in KC.

I thought it was south of 23rd and before 31st street. It was on the northwest corner of the intersection that was in a residential area.

It was old but very impressive for “little league” or higher play. If I recall correctly there was a lot of mesh netting strung from tall poles along both the intersecting streets to keep balls from flying into the neighborhood.

It was probably all wood and has probably been torn down by now.

My friends told me that stadium was where the Blues use to play in the old days but apparently that was wrong information since they were at 18th and Vine before they played at 22nd and Brooklyn.

I use to go by it frequently in the fifties. I never did learn the name.

I brought this up again hoping, perhaps, the newer "older" fellas might recall.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:21 PM

25 posts, read 24,320 times

Old 08-11-2014, 03:50 PM

Nice shot! I'll go with northbound Crysler just south of Alton.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:25 PM

Quiz time!

What is the exact location of the complex in the middle of this photo?

Correctly list at least three very different uses of this complex over the last 50 years.

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2014, 05:25 PM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:
I brought this up again hoping, perhaps, the newer "older" fellas might recall.
I found the following online book about parks in KC. On page 54, it lists the baseball diamonds. Maybe the listings and then google maps (street view) might give you what you are seeking. Just a crazy thought.

http://www.kcmo.org/idc/groups/parks.../09refbook.pdf

Old 08-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I brought this up once before but maybe some of the new folks can come up with an answer.

I am curious if anyone remembers a large single deck baseball stadium with a covered roof and maybe even advertising in the outfield that was located, I thought, on a street corner intersecting with Hardesty or Van Brunt Blvd in KC.

I thought it was south of 23rd and before 31st street. It was on the northwest corner of the intersection that was in a residential area.

It was old but very impressive for “little league” or higher play. If I recall correctly there was a lot of mesh netting strung from tall poles along both the intersecting streets to keep balls from flying into the neighborhood.

It was probably all wood and has probably been torn down by now.

My friends told me that stadium was where the Blues use to play in the old days but apparently that was wrong information since they were at 18th and Vine before they played at 22nd and Brooklyn.

I use to go by it frequently in the fifties. I never did learn the name.
I browsed the 1957 aerials and did not see anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City