Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times

Advertisements

WCHS . . . Since Dickinson was part of your old stomping grounds, I ran across this under "Amusement" places and don't recall it:

Bill McComas Dickinson Lakes 1538 Dickinson

Other "Amusements":

Kiddieland

B&G Rolladium

Cool Crest

McCullough Archery 11426 US 24 (next to Queen City Motel ?) Anyone remember this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 AM

908 posts, read 724,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

Eisfelder-Phillips Nash Co 9701 Truman Rd

Haines & Hodges Motor Co Inc 9510 Truman Rd

Guy Hinkle Edsell Inc 218 N Osage

Cliff Hulett Oldsmobile Co 11323 Truman Rd

Miller & Son 10812 Winner Rd

Montgomery-Clarke Buick Inc. W Truman Rd at N Main

Shaw & Graham Motors 403 W US 24

Turner-Frisby Motor Co 11008 Truman Rd
I don't even recognize these dealership names, much less the location. Thanks, MRG, for the correction on one of them. I believe I said Ross Chevrolet and it was indeed Rost.

Cliff Hulett's name is familiar to me as is the location. I believe it is across Truman from the Trolley. It was another dealer later on.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:55 AM

908 posts, read 724,727 times
Quote:
WCHS . . . Since Dickinson was part of your old stomping grounds, I ran across this under "Amusement" places and don't recall it:

Other "Amusements":

Kiddieland

B&G Rolladium

Cool Crest

McCullough Archery 11426 US 24 (next to Queen City Motel ?) Anyone remember this?
I remember Dickinson Lakes, as well as McComas Triple Lakes off 71 By-Pass north of Alton.

I must be the only one around that does not recall Kiddieland. Is B&G the one in Fairmount?

Even I know Cool Crest. I remember Queen City Motel, but not the archery place.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:20 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Missouri and Kansas Telephone Building-1915

That telephone building still stands and is the taller building next to the Lund Studebaker photo across from the Granada. (Somewhere along the way someone said on this thread that telephone building might have been the first structure in Independence to have an elevator).

I suspect Blue Valley Studebaker was also at this same location since this corner might have been Studebaker dedicated, chuckle. The Allen Motor Car building in the telephone building photo appears to have been replaced by the time Lund Studebaker came along. That Lund Studebaker building appears to have also been replaced and is now a law office.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Other "Amusements":

Kiddieland

B&G Rolladium

Cool Crest

Dickinson Lakes was owned by "Mr. Dickinson." Bill McComas later took it over. I looked at that address and it is a ways north of the lakes. Maybe that was where Mr. Dickinson lived as he had a lot of land in that area.

There are still three or four lakes on Dickinson. A small part of that lakes area became a subscription swimming pool in the late fifties but the pool has been filled in and is now a small city park.

McComas also had an underground fishing lake in the underground area at M-291 and Truman.

The Triple lakes on M-291 was where my sister and I were photographed by a reporter while we were in a kids' fishing derby and the photo was subsequently published by the other Independence daily newspaper. I was 10 to 12 at the time.

I looked for Cool Crest last time I was in town but missed it--was told it might still be there.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
There is water in the photo, but it is in a creek that start slightly up from the bottom of the photo on the right side to close to the top and center of the photo. What you are looking at is snow. Notice that the ground on the hill has snow.
That is interesting--and there is now a road and housing there?

Old 02-12-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Hmmm It has been going on for at least the past 3 or 4 years. Jackson was a street that ran from Little Blue Parkway (street cut into the countryside from 40 Hiway to now 24 Hiway). Jackson goes west from the Pkwy to a Hilton Hotel and then turns north and goes to 39th St, just east of the Independence Center. Across from the Hotel were two large furniture stores and both are gone. The parking lot there is fairly large. It is not uncommon to find over 100 50s and 60s cars there from about 4:00 PM on Saturdays until dark. I try to go down there two or three times during the summer to see friends who have cars on display.
We had some recent interesting discussion here on the forum about the original Jackson Drive, part of which ended nowhere and is now part of Ringo Road. I like watching the Mechum auctions on Velocity Channel. Some of those fifties cars bring a good chunk of change. Also, the auto restoration programs are very interesting bringing those old cars to life. Even the Brits restoration program had a restoration of a '57 Chevy and a Corvette.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I immediately got the humor.

I was thinking that Kroger had Gold Bond Stamps, but maybe that was Safeway. Too many grocery stores in too short a time.

S&J or S&H Green Stamps?
S&H, Sperry & Hutchinson.

Pioneer Stamps were an effort by the Fleming Company to have their own stamp promotion. No one else in the area had them that I know of.

One of the stamp companies had a cute looking elephant on them, but I do not recall which.

S&H were everywhere, or so it seemed. They had a redemption center on 23rd.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
You have an advantage over me. My brother played for Latimer Motors in Kiwanis baseball, but I don't remember the dealership itself.
In 48 or 49, our family accompanied another family to look at the new Frasers there at Main and Walnut. I can recall the dealer opening the back door and I saw the biggest back seat I had ever seen in a car--until I road in the backseat of a McCoy School teachers '51 Hudson Hornet.

My family did not own a car back then and I was really disappointed that we did not get one.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:39 AM

I just noticed another oddity concerning the screwed up address system in the city of Independence that we cover here from time to time here.

The McComas Dickinson Lake address given my MRG was 1538 Dickinson, which is in the north part of town.

My Dickinson Road sweetie lived in the 1600 Dickinson block, which is also in the north part of town. Yet her house was/is south of 1538 Dickinson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City