Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 09:32 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

Here is a Sanborn map rendering of the Temple Lot in 1916.

Bowen Street with its dog leg exists only from Maple to Walnut.

The triangular park where the U.N. Peace Plaza is located today is larger today and the dog leg of Bowen Street on the west side of the Temple Lot is narrower.

The one block Orchard Street shown at the top is the only Orchard Street leg in the city.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:49 AM

This is the Utah LDS Church Visitor's Center on Lexington and River with the Community Church of Christ Auditorium and River Street to the right.

I just read a 2009 article that said the Utah church decided not to build a temple on their portion of this huge block.

Immediately to the rear of this photo is the Community Church of Christ temple with its 300 foot spire.
And to the right rear would be the Temple Lot.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:00 PM

Here is the back end of the world headquarters of the Remnant Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints that is across Lexington Street from the huge Community Church of Christ Temple.

There is also a front end view along Maple Street. (This is the old William Chrisman High school)

This church also covets the Temple Lot but they say that even if they should gain control of the Temple Lot they could not build a Temple there because of a lack of sufficient land for parking. Interesting. I suppose if a temple is ever built there it will have to feature underground parking or buyout the neighbors across Lexington.

This church has 3,000 members in the USA and another 1,000 overseas, with most new members coming from Nigeria.

This church is now working to build a town to be called Bountiful, Missouri, in eastern Jackson County. They say they already have the property and are planning to incorporate the town as soon as enough members relocate. They have also built a 26 acre retreat and conference center in eastern Jackson county.
I have not yet found out where these places specifically are located.

Lexington Street

Maple Street

Old 11-11-2013, 12:37 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Here is the back end of the world headquarters of the Remnant Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints that is across Lexington Street from the huge Community Church of Christ Temple.

There is also a front end view along Maple Street. (This is the old William Chrisman High school)

This church also covets the Temple Lot but they say that even if they should gain control of the Temple Lot they could not build a Temple there because of a lack of sufficient land for parking. Interesting. I suppose if a temple is ever built there it will have to feature underground parking or buyout the neighbors across Lexington.

This church has 3,000 members in the USA and another 1,000 overseas, with most new members coming from Nigeria.

This church is now working to build a town to be called Bountiful, Missouri, in eastern Jackson County. They say they already have the property and are planning to incorporate the town as soon as enough members relocate. They have also built a 26 acre retreat and conference center in eastern Jackson county.
I have not yet found out where these places specifically are located.

Lexington Street

Maple Street

"Parking"? If anything that area doesn't need IMO is more damn parking. They keep paving Paradise and put up parking lots.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:37 PM

A first look at the projected Bountiful, Missouri, in eastern Jackson County.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:58 PM

We have discussed Owen Bush before on this forum but I happened to see him in James Garner's "Skin Game" western the other night. I recall watching him on WDAF-TV sports each night in the 50s. The station ran sports during the 6 pm hour and the 10 pm hour. I think he did both shows.

He has 125 screen credits as an actor.

"The laconic character actor Owen Bush was born on November 10, 1921 in Savannah, Missouri. Owen first became interested in acting in high school, when auditioning for a school play got him out of a boring study hall. In the late 1940s, Bush began working as a radio announcer, and in the early '50s, became a sportscaster on WDAF-TV in Kansas City. Like many television announcers in Kansas City at that time, Bush also frequently acted in industrial films made by the Calvin Company of Kansas City. There, he met the young director Robert Altman, who loved Bush's comic acting style and cast him in many short industrial "docu-dramas" as well as a bit part in Altman's first feature film, "The Delinquents," shot in Kansas City in 1956. In 1959, Altman who by this time was a busy director of episodic TV in Hollywood, convinced Bush to take a leave of absence from WDAF-TV and come out to California to play a regular role in a short-lived syndicated TV series Altman was producing called "The Troubleshooters." The show didn't get off the ground, but with some help from old friend William Frawley (of "I Love Lucy" fame) whom Bush first met during the making of an industrial film in Kansas City, Bush went on to become a popular radio personality in Los Angeles and also one of the most prolific character actors in movies and TV, not only appearing in many early-'60s Altman-directed episodes of the series "The Whirlybirds," "Maverick," "Peter Gunn," "Bus Stop", and "Bonanza", but also "on his own" in many episodes of "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Gunsmoke" and in the movie "Valley of the Dolls". Bush kept on working steadily through the 1970s, '80s, and '90s, and most recently could be spotted in the movie "Best Laid Plans" and in a recurring role on the TV soap opera "Passions". One of the classic and most recognizable character actors, Owen Bush died on June 12, 2001, in L.A., aged 79."

Old 11-11-2013, 03:00 PM

The future site of Bountiful, Missouri, created by the Remnant Church seems to be the aerial below. It is about five miles east of Lake City Arsenal.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:01 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
We have discussed Owen Bush before on this forum but I happened to see him in James Garner's "Skin Game" western the other night. I recall watching him on WDAF-TV sports each night in the 50s. The station ran sports during the 6 pm hour and the 10 pm hour. I think he did both shows.

He has 125 screen credits as an actor.

"The laconic character actor Owen Bush was born on November 10, 1921 in Savannah, Missouri. Owen first became interested in acting in high school, when auditioning for a school play got him out of a boring study hall. In the late 1940s, Bush began working as a radio announcer, and in the early '50s, became a sportscaster on WDAF-TV in Kansas City. Like many television announcers in Kansas City at that time, Bush also frequently acted in industrial films made by the Calvin Company of Kansas City. There, he met the young director Robert Altman, who loved Bush's comic acting style and cast him in many short industrial "docu-dramas" as well as a bit part in Altman's first feature film, "The Delinquents," shot in Kansas City in 1956. In 1959, Altman who by this time was a busy director of episodic TV in Hollywood, convinced Bush to take a leave of absence from WDAF-TV and come out to California to play a regular role in a short-lived syndicated TV series Altman was producing called "The Troubleshooters." The show didn't get off the ground, but with some help from old friend William Frawley (of "I Love Lucy" fame) whom Bush first met during the making of an industrial film in Kansas City, Bush went on to become a popular radio personality in Los Angeles and also one of the most prolific character actors in movies and TV, not only appearing in many early-'60s Altman-directed episodes of the series "The Whirlybirds," "Maverick," "Peter Gunn," "Bus Stop", and "Bonanza", but also "on his own" in many episodes of "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Gunsmoke" and in the movie "Valley of the Dolls". Bush kept on working steadily through the 1970s, '80s, and '90s, and most recently could be spotted in the movie "Best Laid Plans" and in a recurring role on the TV soap opera "Passions". One of the classic and most recognizable character actors, Owen Bush died on June 12, 2001, in L.A., aged 79."
Damn, at first glance I thought that was Mr. Hand in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I do remember that guy, not necessarily from KC days but recognizable face.

I used to love watching The Whirlybirds on Sunday evenings at my GPs house on W Maple while my parents bowled up at Diamond.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Damn, at first glance I thought that was Mr. Hand in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I do remember that guy, not necessarily from KC days but recognizable face.

I used to love watching The Whirlybirds on Sunday evenings at my GPs house on W Maple while my parents bowled up at Diamond.
I looked at all his credits and Fast Times was not listed. It is always a treat to see him in a movie.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:03 PM

At the same time that Owen Bush was working in Kansas City television, a local weatherman always gave the Slipper Rock, Pa., temperature each day. I cannot remember the station but am betting it was WDAF TV.

At first I thought it was a joke but enjoyed it because of the outlandish name. Then I found out there actually was a Slippery Rock, Pa., but never knew why he always mentioned it--and it was always the last temperature given.

I cannot remember the forecaster's name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City