Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 07:44 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,479,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I believe I've mentioned this elsewhere, but for purposes of the new lurkers/contributors:

HST died over the school holidays (day after Christmas?). My GF lived on Maple, one of those houses where you had to take two to three steps to the walkway, then another 2-3 up to his big covered porch. Consequently, you would be a few feet above the road grade whilst sitting on the porch watching the world go by

That day, a symbolically cold, overcast one, I drove to his house early and sat outside freezing my tail off waiting for the procession to pass. Odd feeling, a President of the US, a local one no less, has died and I'm there watching up close this historic event. I can't recall how long the procession was, but it seemed like a long time. Trying to catch anyone of celebrity in the split second I had as the cars passed. Many of them had tinted window security if I remember correctly. I don't remember any police sweeps or anything of the sort, like a modern day funeral would have. No security other than motorcycle cops blocking off River, Union, etc. How times have changed

Afterwards, I drove in the vicinity of The Library, but by then the crowds were there and the area cordoned off. From a distance (probably one of those standing on the hill in the last photo) I think I saw LBJ, who ironically, would die a few months later.
You forgot about the bomb-proof vehicle-stopping security rope! It was strung out for the entire processional route which extended from Carson's Funeral Home to the Library. Soldiers from Fort Riley were spaced along the rope as shown here, at Farmer & Delaware.

A couple of other historical items of note in the photo:
-The dark colored house behind the hearse was the Twyman residence, former home of Dr. Twyman.
-The porch just sneaking in along the right side is the home of Mrs. Etzenhouser. She was the school teacher at Bryant Elementary that prevented the kidnapping of young Margaret Truman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 10:56 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,773,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Sorry about the delay in responding, I was in Communicado all day Saturday (that's a small town free of internet access).

Rather coincidental to Saturday's other discussion, the person had a close connection historically to HST, including being present when he was sworn into office upon FDR's death.

Truman never lived in this house, but he did live within a short, pleasant stroll from this house.

Charles Ross, Press Secretary?

Old 05-31-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Charles Ross, Press Secretary?
Well known man from Independence- yes. Resident of that home- no.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
What well-known Independence resident resided in this house?

For bonus points, where is it located?

Old 05-31-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Bess Wallace?
Nope, but technically you are getting closer! Bess did live within a short stroll from the house in question, but the opposite direction from Harry's earlier home.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Nope, but technically you are getting closer! Bess did live within a short stroll from the house in question, but the opposite direction from Harry's earlier home.
And you say, this person was physically present in the White House on April 12, 1945, when Truman was sworn in?

Old 06-01-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
And you say, this person was physically present in the White House on April 12, 1945, when Truman was sworn in?
I'm now going to back-track on that part, as I may have been confused (I'll dig more later). This person was definitely there when HST announced the Japanese surrender.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I'm now going to back-track on that part, as I may have been confused (I'll dig more later). This person was definitely there when HST announced the Japanese surrender.

Well, I just read a list of those present--except for the reporters. So, who is this person?

Old 06-01-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Well, I just read a list of those present--except for the reporters. So, who is this person?
The house at 722 W Waldo was home to Sue Gentry, longtime Examiner reporter. On the day that HST was to announce the Japanese surrender Sue was in DC, and had had tea with Bess. Harry told her to stick around, and made sure she was there for the announcement.

P.S. Sorry about the misleading clue earlier, I'll blame caffeine-deficiency.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
The house at 722 W Waldo was home to Sue Gentry, longtime Examiner reporter. On the day that HST was to announce the Japanese surrender Sue was in DC, and had had tea with Bess. Harry told her to stick around, and made sure she was there for the announcement.

P.S. Sorry about the misleading clue earlier, I'll blame caffeine-deficiency.
Sue Gentry. As a high schooler, I spoke to her once or twice at the Examiner when it was located on west Lexington. Locally well-known at the time, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City