Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 09:32 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Yeah, just like Beaver Cleaver!

Ironically, subscribed to Netflix this past week and one of the first viewings was the very first LITB episode . . . still funny as can be

"Wally"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:17 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times
Quote:

K-Mart is correct. Please try again.
If it is not Highway 40 and Noland, it does not look like US 24 and M-291 either. Nor, does it look like the Kmart that took over the old Venture building at Noland and I-70.

There is a McDonalds in the photo that I cannot place in relation to a Kmart, but there might have been other KMarts in Independence before they downsized the number of their locations.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
If it is not Highway 40 and Noland, it does not look like US 24 and M-291 either. Nor, does it look like the Kmart that took over the old Venture building at Noland and I-70.

There is a McDonalds in the photo that I cannot place in relation to a Kmart, but there might have been other KMarts in Independence before they downsized the number of their locations.
This location is indeed in Independence. The photo was taken in 1989.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:16 PM

Some area facts taken from the City of Independence web site:

The ill-fated Donner Party left from Independence, MO in 1846 for California. [With ex-governor Lilburn W Boggs, who survived an assassination attempt at his home on Spring Street in Independence, in charge]

Of the more than 250,000 emigrants to California during the decade of the gold rush, only 5,000 were African-American.

The trading route of the Santa Fe Trail was used as a military route during the Mexican War, 1846-48.

Noted mountain man Jim Bridger lived and died in present-day south Kansas City and is buried in Independence, MO.

The explosion of the steamboat “Saluda” at Lexington, MO in 1852 killed many Mormon emigrants bound for Salt Lake City.

The first white women to cross North America, Narcissa Whitman and Eliza Spalding, left from Liberty, MO in 1836 with their husbands.

The first railroad west of the Mississippi River linked Independence, MO with its steamboat landing.

Capt. John Sutter lived at Westport, MO before fleeing from creditors and going to California, where his mill and name forever became attached to the 1848 gold discovery.

The languages heard along the culturally diverse Santa Fe Trail included English, Spanish, German, French, Dutch, and those of several American Indian tribes.

An estimated 400,000 people went on the western migration trails between 1840 and 1860.

Hiram Young was a prominent African-American blacksmith in Independence, MO who bought slaves to work in his wagon shops and let them earn their freedom.

Sapling Grove Park in Overland Park, KS was the starting point for the first overland wagon train to California.

“Kelly’s”, today a popular bar in Westport, MO, was an outfitting store during the trail days.

About one in ten trail travelers, or about 40,000 people, died along the western trails in America.

Alexander Majors, whose home is open for tours in Kansas City, was an important frontier freighter.

Mayor Tyree of Independence went west on the trails and was reportedly never heard of again.

The Bent-Ward House in Kansas City was home to two important figures on the frontier, William Bent and Seth Ward.

Unlike the Hollywood film versions, very few deaths on the overland trails were related to Indian hostilities.

Mr. Ray’s blacksmith shop on the trail was the start of Raytown, MO.

Major John Dougherty, later of Liberty, MO, was an early fur trader and Indian agent.

The natural springs at Blue Springs, MO were used by Indians, then early Santa Fe Trail traders.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:00 PM

778 posts, read 1,026,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Quote:
This location is indeed in Independence. The photo was taken in 1989.

My guess? I'd say that this shot was taken from the drive of the Great Western Motel, looking east on 24 highway with the Square Circle Liquor Store across the highway on the right (south), and 291 being at the traffic lights. McDonalds is directly south of K-Mart.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:08 PM

778 posts, read 1,026,318 times
Did anyone guess MY mystery photo back on page 470, or did I just miss it?

Old 12-30-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Did anyone guess MY mystery photo back on page 470, or did I just miss it?
Once before I thought we said Selsa Road.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:23 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
My guess? I'd say that this shot was taken from the drive of the Great Western Motel, looking east on 24 highway with the Square Circle Liquor Store across the highway on the right (south), and 291 being at the traffic lights. McDonalds is directly south of K-Mart.
Close enough to call you the WINNER!!! It was taken from the Dairy Queen driveway. The Motel drive and the edge of their sign is along the left side. K-Mart and the adjoining shops are in the left background. The K-Mart sign appears to be on the wrong side of the street because the highway curves.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 AM

MAD,

i was watching a 1964 movie last night in which the shot gun police officer in a black and white police car used a telephone handset to call dispatch. I presume this was a radio-telephone sort of thing. I have seen the same type of communication in older movies.

Can you say if the Independence police were using two-way radio in '64? Or were they using a radio-telephone? I started driving in '57 and do not recall a radio-telephone but maybe I was not paying attention.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Close enough to call you the WINNER!!! It was taken from the Dairy Queen driveway. The Motel drive and the edge of their sign is along the left side. K-Mart and the adjoining shops are in the left background. The K-Mart sign appears to be on the wrong side of the street because the highway curves.

As Nathan Thurm would say as he nervously puffs his cigarette, "I know that! Why wouldn't I know that? I'm well aware of that!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City