Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 03:24 PM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
It's too cold to go out and take a current photo, so y'all can try to find the location of the shot from the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Here ya go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
This is the same site that MAD put up, Wilson and Truman Road with the old Coke facility to the right.

I know what it is, I put it there!! Mad mentioned it was too cold to get a new shot that was in his old photo. I got one and posted it. Capiche?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I know what it is, I put it there!! Mad mentioned it was too cold to get a new shot that was in his old photo. I got one and posted it. Capiche?
Sorry, I offended you. That was not my intention. It looks like I might not have understood what you were trying to do.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 01-07-2014 at 03:56 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 PM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
Quote:
Sorry, I offended you. That was not my intention. It looks like I might not have understood what you were trying to do.

No offense taken. I get a bit testy from time to time. No harm, no foul. I'm not always easy to understand.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:48 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Here is a good chunk of the history of Englewood from today's Examiner.

Ted Stillwell: The Dummy Line and the development of Englewood - Entertainment & Life - Examiner - Independence, MO

Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:

I was not aware that Englewood was once incorporated, if only for a short time.

Before I was 16, the Plaza and then the Granada were the theaters of choice. After I began to drive, the Englewood theater was the the movie place of choice. Maywood theater, sometimes, but very seldom. I never attended the Byam theater in Fairmount.

Fairmount and Mt Washington, though, did not come into Independence until 1961 rather than 1948.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:22 AM

More information about the Dummy Line is found here...

Missouri Valley Special Collections : Item Viewer

Old 01-08-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I was not aware that Englewood was once incorporated, if only for a short time.

Before I was 16, the Plaza and then the Granada were the theaters of choice. After I began to drive, the Englewood theater was the the movie place of choice. Maywood theater, sometimes, but very seldom. I never attended the Byam theater in Fairmount.

Fairmount and Mt Washington, though, did not come into Independence until 1961 rather than 1948.
Granada was my most-frequented, followed by an occasional trip to the Englewood. The Maywood was already a bowling alley in the days of my youth, and I rolled a few games there. The Byam was long gone by then. We did frequent the Fairmount shops, as we lived NW of there until the summer after 3rd grade.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Granada was my most-frequented, followed by an occasional trip to the Englewood. The Maywood was already a bowling alley in the days of my youth, and I rolled a few games there. The Byam was long gone by then. We did frequent the Fairmount shops, as we lived NW of there until the summer after 3rd grade.

Now, you got me to doing a bit of movie nostalgia.

The Electric on north main was in business when I was a kid, but I never went there.

I have not been to the current theaters on the square but I have attended the AMC 20 on 39th Street. I attended the Blue Ridge theaters at the Blue Ridge Mall and the old AMC theaters that were in the Independence Center parking lot. There are or use to be some indoor theaters on 63rd Street in Raytown that I occasionally attended.

I attended all the downtown Kansas City "hard ticket" theaters such as the Empire, Saxon/Midland, Roxy, Capri, etc, where one did not show up without being in coat and tie. There was even a ticket sales area next to the Empire (formerly the RKO) where reserved seat tickets could be purchased in advance to the previously mentioned theaters.

I also went to the Granada in Kansas City, Kansas. I saw the Elvis Presley spoof Bye Bye Birdie there. For some reason, that was the only place in the area playing it. Back in those days, almost all new movies seemed to be spectacular events, whereas, today films like Bye Bye Birdie and many others are uninspiring.

The Uptown on Broadway in KC was a favorite theater that I went to many times. As far as KC neighborhood theaters, I attended the KIMO theater on Main Street once. I always wondered if there was a connection between the KIMO theater and radio station KIMO in the 300 block of north Osage. Apparently not. KIMO seemed to be a popular name for movie theaters, although I do not know the inspiration behind that name.

Radio station KIMO with the "IMO" tried to convey "IndependenceMO". That station may have been the first with those call letters. I was on the big island of Hawaii in the sixties and there was radio station KIMO. They took the call letters when our location station went belly up. Later the call letters went to Montana.

The 40 Hiway drive in at Noland and Forty highway, the Twin on Kentucky, and the Heart in KC, and the 63rd Street drive in in Raytown were probably the only drive ins I went to in the area.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:11 PM

There was another theater I attended, once, in Overland Park on Ward Parkway.

It was a Durwood (now AMC) theater and was advertised as the first twin theater setup in the world.

I went there just to see what a twin theater looked like. I understand those theaters are now closed.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:24 PM

38 posts, read 74,025 times
Quote:
I was in the third grade at McCoy in 1949-50. Vada Trask was born in 1898 so she would have been around 52 as the principal.

Not sure when McCoy closed but Trask left McCoy in 1956 to go to administer a new grade school. She died in 1985.
I wonder if we went to the same McCoy? Was there a McCoy in indep? I went to the one at 15th terr & White. Started in 57 and went through the 7th grade in 1964. When I started the principal was Miss Blackburn and the secretary was Miss Davis. Later a Mr. Drake came in to be the principal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City