Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,773,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Yeah that does seem strange. Doesn't like like any road construction affected its placement and I can't imagine a building like that being physically moved back off the sidewalk. The setback is even more noticeable if you do a Streetview from Fransden.

The numbering on Truman Rd was different in 1960. The only business that is east of Fransden on Truman Rd is George Larm Service Station at 1502 E. TR. That double garaged structure sure looks like it might have housed a station. The City Limit then was at what was N. Kiger @ 16501 Stewart Sand and Material Co.

That's one big house next door to the east and a heckuva front lawn to maintain.
There are some differences. In Doc's photo there is a "Keep Out" sign in one of the door window panes whereas on Google there is no sign. There is also some plywood squares in some of the panes in one photo and not the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 05:17 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,479,996 times
Quote:
Yeah that does seem strange. Doesn't like like any road construction affected its placement and I can't imagine a building like that being physically moved back off the sidewalk. The setback is even more noticeable if you do a Streetview from Fransden.

The numbering on Truman Rd was different in 1960. The only business that is east of Fransden on Truman Rd is George Larm Service Station at 1502 E. TR. That double garaged structure sure looks like it might have housed a station. The City Limit then was at what was N. Kiger @ 16501 Stewart Sand and Material Co.

That's one big house next door to the east and a heckuva front lawn to maintain.
I checked my collection. I have the street in front of this structure, which was an earlier mystery shot, but not the building itself.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:20 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,479,996 times
And now it's time for another episode of Police Car Story! Tonight's star is one of the earliest to feature both red and blue lights, along with a revised emblem.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
And now it's time for another episode of Police Car Story! Tonight's star is one of the earliest to feature both red and blue lights, along with a revised emblem.
When you were dispatching, what was the average number of cars out on the street on each shift?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 PM

778 posts, read 1,026,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Something a little strange here.

The exact same building [complete with broken glass and curled siding next to the large windows and light stanchion at the peak of the roof] is at 15702 E Truman on the corner near Fransden and Truman, but it is set back from the sidewalk a number of feet.
Quote:

That photo was taken from across Truman on the south side. There is roughly 20 to 25 ft. from the edge of the sidewalk to the front of the structure, with a small section of the concrete drive in between. As a kid, I vaguely remember (or just thought I remembered!) seeing this open as a service station, with the pumps being just about in what is now, the right lane of westbound Truman. I'm glad you confirmed that with your research, MRG. If anyone is interested, I have photos from all the way around this building, except directly from the rear. I'm not sure if it was private property or not, so I didn't tread on the property. The house to the east had it's property split right up the middle from north to south when they put Lee's Summit road through there. As I recall, the property directly on the east side of the street was part of that same property, which had been a small farm. I can't confirm that as yet, but... maybe someone else can? Also, I'd like to find out the brand of gas they pumped, and maybe a photo of the sign. (Not asking for much, huh? Hee, hee!)

Old 05-02-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
That photo was taken from across Truman on the south side. There is roughly 20 to 25 ft. from the edge of the sidewalk to the front of the structure, with a small section of the concrete drive in between. As a kid, I vaguely remember (or just thought I remembered!) seeing this open as a service station, with the pumps being just about in what is now, the right lane of westbound Truman. I'm glad you confirmed that with your research, MRG. If anyone is interested, I have photos from all the way around this building, except directly from the rear. I'm not sure if it was private property or not, so I didn't tread on the property. The house to the east had it's property split right up the middle from north to south when they put Lee's Summit road through there. As I recall, the property directly on the east side of the street was part of that same property, which had been a small farm. I can't confirm that as yet, but... maybe someone else can? Also, I'd like to find out the brand of gas they pumped, and maybe a photo of the sign. (Not asking for much, huh? Hee, hee!)
In the fifties, there was a mom & pop grocery store in this area on this same side of the street, also. It could have been in connection with the station.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
In the fifties, there was a mom & pop grocery store in this area on this same side of the street, also. It could have been in connection with the station.
That's very possible. Further east on Truman was Paris Market on the south side, and a bit further east from that market, (on the north side, in the area called "East Independence") was another market/service station of which I have no info at all. This may have been the one you are referring to.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Out where I live on Jones Rd., it's roughly 20000 E. Truman. I don't know what the numbering was in 1955 but we had a Rural Route address, so I'm assuming we didn't have a house number when we moved out here, but I do know that we weren't in the city limits.

There were at least three businesses east of Stewart Sand, and east of 291 (71 Bypass). One was Paris Market on the south side of Truman where the tracks cross the street, Reisinger's(sp) farm and greenhouses, also on the south side, and another market/service station just east of that, and on the north side, that I have no info on. There was also Adams Station just south of Truman and Holke a few blocks. I haven't been able to dig up anything about it, either. Anyone else know?

Old 05-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
That's very possible. Further east on Truman was Paris Market on the south side, and a bit further east from that market, (on the north side, in the area called "East Independence") was another market/service station of which I have no info at all. This may have been the one you are referring to.
The Mom & Pop I am thinking of would be on the north side of Truman Road between the two Kiger Roads of the fifties. That would place it between Breckinridge and Kiger, today. Passed by it most every time I went to see my Dickinson Road honey.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:02 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,121 times
Quote:

In both 1956 and 1960 this was the George Larm service station. Don't see anything within the City Limits (ends at S. Kiger) east or west which would be a Mom n Pop. There was on the west side of Fransden Kranenbuhl Greenhouse which was Eddie's Gardens by 1960. The only other businesses for any year was interestingly, a "blacksmith" shop, E.A. Root proprietor, just west of N. Kiger as well as an Ernest Braden Transfer (moving?). Plus the aforementioned Stewart Sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City