Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 08:50 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times

Advertisements

I was very surprised to run across this finding in The Week, from the ADL/Anti-Defamation League: That 85% of Americans believe at least one anti-semitic trope (up from 61%).

On the other hand, when I read the list, I'm not sure they're all truly anti-semitic.

Antisemitic Attitudes in America
https://www.adl.org/resources/report...pline-findings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 05:13 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Do you think that an anti-Israel belief isn't anti-semitic belief?

Old 05-30-2023, 11:21 AM

9,326 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Do you think that an anti-Israel belief isn't anti-semitic belief?
It depends on the belief. The “18 percent who are uncomfortable spending time with a person who supports Israel” strikes me as anti-Semitic. The “40 percent who at least slightly believe that Israel treats Palestinians like Nazis treated the Jews,” while ignorant and inaccurate, isn’t anti-Semitic in and of itself. Now, if people are making these statements about Israel while giving a free pass to the many other nations with equal or worse alleged human rights violations, that’s problematic and may indicate underlying anti-Semitic sentiment.

The biggest thing for me is the 70% who say “Jews stick together more than other Americans.” As a Jewish person who grew up in a distinctively Jewish area, I do think that’s somewhat true, although I would add “tend to” between the words “Jews” and “stick” and suspect a lot of survey respondents did the same thing in their minds.

A better question would have been “Jews are more clannish than other Americans” (as the question is labeled in the article). That, no doubt, is an anti-Semitic sentiment.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:36 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
The belief that "Jews are more loyal to Israel than to America" reminds me of the anti-Catholic propaganda from the Kennedy presidential campaign that JFK would be more loyal to the Vatican and the Pope than to the USA constitution and its people.

People who have prejudices will always find something to which they can justify their prejudice.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:37 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post

The biggest thing for me is the 70% who say “Jews stick together more than other Americans.” As a Jewish person who grew up in a distinctively Jewish area, I do think that’s somewhat true, although I would add “tend to” between the words “Jews” and “stick” and suspect a lot of survey respondents did the same thing in their minds.

A better question would have been “Jews are more clannish than other Americans” (as the question is labeled in the article). That, no doubt, is an anti-Semitic sentiment.
The Jewish faith has been a community oriented one. But I agree other communities also stick together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The belief that "Jews are more loyal to Israel than to America" reminds me of the anti-Catholic propaganda from the Kennedy presidential campaign that JFK would be more loyal to the Vatican and the Pope than to the USA constitution and its people.
I agree that it is definitely anti-Semitic propaganda that American Jews are more loyal to Israel than the USA. The only possible exception might be Israelis who have immigrated to the USA (but even that isn't sure).

Old 05-31-2023, 09:41 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
I think the rise in dislike for the State of Israel is a reflection of the distaste for their current Administration and the direction they are taking the country.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:48 AM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I was very surprised to run across this finding in The Week, from the ADL/Anti-Defamation League: That 85% of Americans believe at least one anti-semitic trope (up from 61%).

On the other hand, when I read the list, I'm not sure they're all truly anti-semitic.

Antisemitic Attitudes in America
https://www.adl.org/resources/report...pline-findings
That's the most ridiculous poll I've ever seen. All of the tropes are just wild, bizarre ideas out of left field - could be applied to anyone.

Old 05-31-2023, 01:18 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
While all the tropes seem wild, yet they have taken root. In 2019, Trump called Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu "your prime minister." That paints Jews as having dual loyalties and not fully American. Tropes can be a slippery slope and take hold for any group.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:39 AM

166 posts, read 51,399 times
First off, I'm not Jewish. I was curious about this site in general. Yes, I'm a Christian that has the deepest respect for the OLD TESTAMENT, the Bible in general, and the Nation of Israel. I also believe in the MESSIAH, HIS eventual return, and that as a believer I've been adopted by GOD through faith in the MESSIAH. I have listened to a few Messianic Rabbis on the internet, and find their biblical understanding very enlightening to my personal faith with their decidedly "Jewish" interpretive perspective. I've also listened to some other Jewish teachers who also offer a perspective I find interesting. I feel I may be walking a tightrope here, as my intent is not to either insult or embarrass. I'm just intrigued.

As far as Anti-Semitism, I agree that it is real, but to be fair --- I imagine that prejudice can run both ways. And Yes, I personally feel that Israel has been blessed by GOD and that doesn't surprise me in the least.

Old 06-24-2023, 09:52 AM

88,517 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNipper View Post
First off, I'm not Jewish. I was curious about this site in general. Yes, I'm a Christian that has the deepest respect for the OLD TESTAMENT, the Bible in general, and the Nation of Israel. I also believe in the MESSIAH, HIS eventual return, and that as a believer I've been adopted by GOD through faith in the MESSIAH. I have listened to a few Messianic Rabbis on the internet, and find their biblical understanding very enlightening to my personal faith with their decidedly "Jewish" interpretive perspective. I've also listened to some other Jewish teachers who also offer a perspective I find interesting. I feel I may be walking a tightrope here, as my intent is not to either insult or embarrass. I'm just intrigued.

As far as Anti-Semitism, I agree that it is real, but to be fair --- I imagine that prejudice can run both ways. And Yes, I personally feel that Israel has been blessed by GOD and that doesn't surprise me in the least.
Are you unaware that calling the Jewish Scriptures "the Old Testament" can be in and of itself offensive to Jews?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism