Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 10:26 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNipper View Post
I would have to agree with you. I imagine if Israel passed a law that for a Christian to witness to any person of the Jewish faith is wrong, I for one would have to disagree. The reason for witnessing to Jewish people is not to make them Christian per say, but to lead them to the MESSIAH and from my perspective make them MORE so by completing their Judaism. For me the reality is that the MESSIAH intends for everyone to be brought to the FATHER and not just Jews. And I'm rather sure "MESSIANIC Jews" would agree with me; whereas, Orthodox/Hassidic Jews would likely disagree, but maybe not...
This post does not belong in this forum. The "Messianic Jews" as you call them are not following halacha. It you believe that Jesus is the Messiah, then call yourself what you really are-a Christian. There's nothing wrong with being a Christian, but calling these people "Messianic Jews" is an oxymoron.

Please read the sticky on Forum rules that were written by a former moderator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 06:30 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
I would have to agree with you. I imagine if Israel passed a law that for a Christian to witness to any person of the Jewish faith is wrong, I for one would have to disagree. The reason for witnessing to Jewish people is not to make them Christian per say, but to lead them to the MESSIAH and from my perspective make them MORE so by completing their Judaism. For me the reality is that the MESSIAH intends for everyone to be brought to the FATHER and not just Jews. And I'm rather sure "MESSIANIC Jews" would agree with me; whereas, Orthodox/Hassidic Jews would likely disagree, but maybe not...
Are you delusional? The entire reason for "witnessing" to Jews by Christians is to convert them to Christianity. Full stop. "Completing their Judaism" is a trope meaning that Jews haven't found Jesus yet, so they need to be "saved" by him by converting. To even post this in the Judaism forum is insulting at best.

Old 06-30-2023, 10:40 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Some things are offensive because they are meanspirited and meant to hurt someone with intent. There are things people say and do that are offensive to Christians; however, I feel that Christians generally realize that not everything is done out of malice. Would you rather that Matthew through Revelations be included as simply the WORD of GOD along with Genesis through Malachi? I don't believe that would suit you either --- would it?

I feel that Christians are showing a demarcation; as well as, a place of honor to the first books for being the foundation and prophetic root upon which Matthew through Revelation firmly rest. Yes, that is the Christian view; however, should I apologize to you for being Christian? What would you have me say or do?
What does this have to do with ME? I'm not Jewish.

Old 06-30-2023, 02:14 PM

166 posts, read 51,878 times
I don't mean to insult anyone here; however, why would Jews have a thread regarding Anti-Semitic beliefs if they don't wish non-Jewish individuals to comment nor speak about things that Jews may find difficult to discuss? And there are JEWS (whether any here disagree or not) who now firmly accept that JESUS was/is THE JEWISH MESSIAH. They still celebrate all their Jewish traditions and can trace their Jewish heritage back generation. Some even had/have relatives who were in concentration camps and such would indeed totally disagree with anyone who tried to strip them of their Jewishness, and would be very hurt.

Please consider the following: https://mjaa.org/messianic-movement/...xoCL3YQAvD_BwE

Last edited by LittleNipper; 06-30-2023 at 02:24 PM..

Old 06-30-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What does this have to do with ME? I'm not Jewish.
Well, you posted the following: Are you unaware that calling the Jewish Scriptures "the Old Testament" can be in and of itself offensive to Jews?

I typed the response to your remark, and being Jewish or not has nothing to do with my answer.

Old 06-30-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
This post does not belong in this forum. The "Messianic Jews" as you call them are not following halacha. It you believe that Jesus is the Messiah, then call yourself what you really are-a Christian. There's nothing wrong with being a Christian, but calling these people "Messianic Jews" is an oxymoron.

Please read the sticky on Forum rules that were written by a former moderator.
I did read the sticky on this Forum. You mention that the "Messianic Jews" are not following halacha. But I would have to question the last time you followed them, since the Temple in Jerusalem has been gone nearly 2000 years now. I feel that you take issue with their (Messianic Jews) belief in the MESSIAH and nothing more. Am I wrong?

Old 06-30-2023, 02:37 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I was very surprised to run across this finding in The Week, from the ADL/Anti-Defamation League: That 85% of Americans believe at least one anti-semitic trope (up from 61%).

On the other hand, when I read the list, I'm not sure they're all truly anti-semitic.

Antisemitic Attitudes in America
https://www.adl.org/resources/report...pline-findings
Does anyone consider the ADL to be a credible organization?

Old 06-30-2023, 03:11 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,626 times
Quote:
I did read the sticky on this Forum. You mention that the "Messianic Jews" are not following halacha. But I would have to question the last time you followed them, since the Temple in Jerusalem has been gone nearly 2000 years now. I feel that you take issue with their (Messianic Jews) belief in the MESSIAH and nothing more. Am I wrong?
I follow halacha every day. The loss of the temple is an aspect of Jewish identity and part of halacha is mourning that loss. Why would the loss change my ability to follow Jewish law?

The people who abandon core aspects of their Judaism and accept Jesus are Christian. That they happen still to be "Jewish" (assuming their status as born to a Jewish woman) simply means that they are bound by Jewish law whether they like it or not. They are not part of the Jewish community in any constructive sense but are subject to the community's rules regardless.

Belief in Jesus is not a trivial thing. It goes against essential elements of Jewish belief. If they still try to follow any Jewish law, but see that law as an expression of a belief in Jesus, then their actions are hypocritical and useless. The fact that they try to reconcile the two systems is a cynical method of exploiting less informed Jews and making them think that he two distinct (and mutually exclusive) belief systems can coexist in one person.

They can't.

Old 07-01-2023, 05:19 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I follow halacha every day. The loss of the temple is an aspect of Jewish identity and part of halacha is mourning that loss. Why would the loss change my ability to follow Jewish law?

The people who abandon core aspects of their Judaism and accept Jesus are Christian. That they happen still to be "Jewish" (assuming their status as born to a Jewish woman) simply means that they are bound by Jewish law whether they like it or not. They are not part of the Jewish community in any constructive sense but are subject to the community's rules regardless.

Belief in Jesus is not a trivial thing. It goes against essential elements of Jewish belief. If they still try to follow any Jewish law, but see that law as an expression of a belief in Jesus, then their actions are hypocritical and useless. The fact that they try to reconcile the two systems is a cynical method of exploiting less informed Jews and making them think that he two distinct (and mutually exclusive) belief systems can coexist in one person.

They can't.
Well written!

Old 07-01-2023, 05:42 AM

323 posts, read 136,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I was very surprised to run across this finding in The Week, from the ADL/Anti-Defamation League: That 85% of Americans believe at least one anti-semitic trope (up from 61%).

On the other hand, when I read the list, I'm not sure they're all truly anti-semitic.

Antisemitic Attitudes in America
https://www.adl.org/resources/report...pline-findings
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Does anyone consider the ADL to be a credible organization?
The ADL did not conduct the survey. As a quick glance at the link would have told you, the data was gathered by the Univesity of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center, a venerable organization specializing in studying social attitudes.

I suspect you would not have dismissed out of hand the same study had it been done for the Wall Street Journal, which I mention because the WSJ is another of NORC's many clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism