Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:26 PM

165 posts, read 322,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I'm confused about "for profit". Aren't all universities and colleges for profit?
In this instance, a for-profit school is a school, "founded" within the last 15-20 years, run by a corporation and has shareholders

Most REPUTABLE colleges indeed are also run off of not only endowments, but federal funding in the form of student aid... but the difference between your traditional brick n mortar and crappy for profit is that the traditional colleges give back via research, marketable and hireable graduates and alumni who give back.

For profits are lucky to even graduate 25% of their students, let alone give back to the college. How many alumni have you heard of giving back to UoPhoneix, Strayer, etc? Why would they need to when they are being run by a multi-million or billion dollar corp.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 04:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times
there are for profit schools who's graduates are highly sought after. The thing to look at is the difference between traditioanl schooling versus specialty schooling. Some for profits are actual industry leaders in specialized fields. It may take you 6 years of learning at a traditional school to gain the same education in a specialty that a for profit offers in 4 years. If you r looking at ageneric business degree that's one thing, but if your loking for a degree in a specific specialy, often times the for profits will merge multiple technical and specialites into their degeree (and leave out all the BS unimportant stuff) that makes your education more valuable.

If we are looking for a loadmaster, we either hire from the military, woo away from a competitor, or look for a graduating student from two particular for profit schools that are the only schools in the world to offer a degeree in that specific specialty. Not all for profit degrees are worthless.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:10 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,812 times
Should add the Art Institute to the list of for profits, every now and again they advertise on TV.

Wish there was a better way to warn people about these schools, they really sell themselves to students who don't know any better. I come from a generation where parents weren't involved in their children's lives so much and in the age of "Follow your heart" and the belief you can get a job in your field drove myself and thousands upon thousands of hopefuls into going to schools like these. Most parents and close relatives too don't know any better either, our schools don't bother with what college is worth going so how do HS grads get the message that paper mills pray on their future? I wish I was smarter to do some digging around - but I truly had no one in a 100 mile radius that had a shred of intelligence regarding schools.

Originally, I was led to believe a real Uni or State college was far more expensive - it's actually one of the lies Ai recruiters use to convince you their school is better and it offers programs that no other school teaches. Even the internet runs on this trope that room and board on top of tuition from a state college or uni would be higher than a paper mill.

Paper mills seem to get students to train for niche jobs, graphic design? Used to be huge in the 90s, now anyone can learn Photoshop and owns a computer. Computer Animation? Most jobs are outsourced now... animation industry is on life support in the states as far as jobs are concerned. Videogame Design? The biggest con of them all. Culinary? Seems like the new hot career they're trying to sell. IT and Business? A brick and mortar school would do better anyways.

If there was a way to take these schools for every cent they tricked people into giving them via government loans, I'd rather have the government take back all that money so I could start over and let the paper mill crumble.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:01 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,666 times
That is just outright discrimination to toss your resume out because of where you went to school.I guess a form of racism does still exist today.It shouldn't matter where you went to school,all that should is whether you have the skills to do the job.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
That is just outright discrimination to toss your resume out because of where you went to school.I guess a form of racism does still exist today.It shouldn't matter where you went to school,all that should is whether you have the skills to do the job.
That makes little sense. Someone who went to Harvard is going to have a an advantage over someone who went to UMass.

For profits have no entrance requirements so of course employers are going to not be impressed by that degree.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:25 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,055,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
More and more employers are using extreme descretion when it comes to hiring practices.

I've noticed that ALOT of the resumes for people who attended for-profits, don't even get a second look.

Another reason to dissuade folks from attending these schools.
I'm not a big fan of these schools but I think it's a stretch to say that no one with a degree from these places will get hired. I'm more interested in what they've done with their life. If you turn your argument around, that's like saying only people with degrees from the best schools will get jobs. That's not necessarily the case. There are plenty of unemployed people with degrees from Stanford, Harvard, etc.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'm not a big fan of these schools but I think it's a stretch to say that no one with a degree from these places will get hired.
This was never stated by the OP. He just stated that he noticed A LOT get tossed aside.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:03 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
So true, for-profits are a waste of time
Yeah ... Especially those that have "art" and "graphic design" degrees ... Even if the student is able to gain employment in those fields, the pay is hardly worth the mega bucks that the student forks over to attend one of these for-profit schools.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
How do these schools get accredited? For example, Colorado Tech is accredited by ABET.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:09 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How do these schools get accredited? For example, Colorado Tech is accredited by ABET.
Some have bought accredited schools that were going under which in turn makes them accredited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search