Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:11 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am from Europe and I'm not very familiar with job-hunting in the US, apart from my student jobs in college. Which I applied for by just asking "Hey, can I work here?".

So, I have an MS degree and will also have a PhD. Is it okay to apply for positions that require the MS degree only (there are a few of those that I'd find interesting) and then not mention the PhD on my resume? Instead, I could "sell" my RA-ship as related work experience. Is that an ok thing to do? Or is it unethical and I should still mention it? Like I said, I don't have much experience applying for jobs in the US.

Thanks for your input!
Robbi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 02:26 PM

653 posts, read 1,802,383 times
It is fine. Some jobs won't even consider you if they know you have a PhD. They think you'll want to be paid alot more, when the truth is PhDs actually often make less.

OTOH some companies like to be able to brag to bosses or customers that they have a PhD on staff. Case-by-case. Could answer better if we knew the field and/or candidate companies.

BTW, Welcome!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
It's absolutely reasonable to leave out education (or work experience) on your resume if you feel that will help you get your foot in the door.

This should sail fine unless they explicitly ask you to mention all of your education on an application or during the interview. Then is would be considered unethical. But for your resume, include details about yourself that you feel is best and leave out ones which are unnecessary.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:07 PM

Great! Thanks a lot for your answers. Of course I will mention my PhD if specifically asked for it but there are quite a few interesting jobs out there for people with an MS only. I know that in Germany (where I'm from originally) it would be a bad thing to leave it out. But there's also more of a job market for science PhDs over there and very little jobs for MS-holders only. So no one in their right state of mind would NOT mention their PhD.

Edit: As for the field: I'm working on my PhD in the biomedical sciences, more specifically translational cancer research. My target companies would be biotech or pharmaceutical. I'm interested in lab jobs, but would also be more than willing to do more administrative stuff, or project management and the like.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:10 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Being a PhD it makes me kind of sick to feel that someone would actually hold that against me.

I've worked in non-profit for decades, like hospitals, universities, public health and have always had low salaries --- I'm embarassed to even put them down. Let's just say I have never made anything close to what the supposed salary is for Chicago public school teachers of $75K.

Many research settings that involve incredible amounts of training and skill pay very little --- Post Doc salaries are often around $25K or even unpaid.

I'm job searching now and the idea that someone would hold my training against me --- again, it makes me feel kind of sick. What am I supposed to do, put in my cover letter, --hey you don't have to pay me a lot, you really don't.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Great! Thanks a lot for your answers. Of course I will mention my PhD if specifically asked for it but there are quite a few interesting jobs out there for people with an MS only. I know that in Germany (where I'm from originally) it would be a bad thing to leave it out. But there's also more of a job market for science PhDs over there and very little jobs for MS-holders only. So no one in their right state of mind would NOT mention their PhD.

Edit: As for the field: I'm working on my PhD in the biomedical sciences, more specifically translational cancer research. My target companies would be biotech or pharmaceutical. I'm interested in lab jobs, but would also be more than willing to do more administrative stuff, or project management and the like.
For Pete's sake, put your PhD down if it's in the biomedical sciences. That would be a plus in that field.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
For Pete's sake, put your PhD down if it's in the biomedical sciences. That would be a plus in that field.
Even if I apply for interesting positions that require an M.S. (which I do have, too) and not a PhD?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am from Europe and I'm not very familiar with job-hunting in the US, apart from my student jobs in college. Which I applied for by just asking "Hey, can I work here?".

So, I have an MS degree and will also have a PhD. Is it okay to apply for positions that require the MS degree only (there are a few of those that I'd find interesting) and then not mention the PhD on my resume? Instead, I could "sell" my RA-ship as related work experience. Is that an ok thing to do? Or is it unethical and I should still mention it? Like I said, I don't have much experience applying for jobs in the US.

Thanks for your input!
Robbi
If you apply to lower level jobs leave out your higher education.

On the flipside, I would include your university degrees for any jobs that require some or a lot of higher level education. The unfortunate part to mention is many areas in the US do not formally recognize degrees from most any foreign universities.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:11 AM

110 posts, read 383,615 times
Most companies will give someone the benefit of the doubt when they see that the applicant has a solid academic background. Include it! It will help you stand out from a large pool of applicants. This goes double if your PhD is in a related field. If it isn't then talk about how it relates to the position, or how it will make you a better candidate.

Good luck!

Old 09-29-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
If you apply to lower level jobs leave out your higher education.

On the flipside, I would include your university degrees for any jobs that require some or a lot of higher level education. The unfortunate part to mention is many areas in the US do not formally recognize degrees from most any foreign universities.
Okay. Meaning: If I apply fo be a Starbucks barista just to get some money while looking for real employment I'll leave it out, but if I apply at a pharm company I'll mention it?

I'm not worried about companies not recognizing my degrees. There are companies which translate foreign degrees into American ones and my evaluation is VERY favorable. So I will just use these translations instead of my 'real' degrees. I also have a certificate that I can show them, plus I also do have an American university on my resume, which should work in my favor. I have more American university (and also some work-) experience than your average European dreaming of living in the US. If nothing else I will just start working as an adjunct at a local community college while looking for a 'real' job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfan13 View Post
Most companies will give someone the benefit of the doubt when they see that the applicant has a solid academic background. Include it! It will help you stand out from a large pool of applicants. This goes double if your PhD is in a related field. If it isn't then talk about how it relates to the position, or how it will make you a better candidate.
Thanks!

Last edited by Rob702; 09-29-2012 at 05:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search