Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:53 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,565 times

Advertisements

Well, I admit that I am willing to take a $10 an hour job. I have applied and even interviewed for a few of these jobs with no luck. I am being told that I am overqualified even though I would happily take a $10 an hour job because it would allow me to get off unemployment and focus on training for a new career. My degree is in elementary education and I don't see it getting any easier to find a teaching job anytime soon. Even my state unemployment office said that they have a very large number of teachers who are out of work. I have considered taking my degree off my resume but then I have to remove my teaching experience. How would I do this or should I continue to remain honest? I can't say that I have been a stay at home mom because I am single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 07:51 PM

303 posts, read 563,674 times
Put on a ring and lie. It takes what it takes these days.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:05 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Honey, you can lie all you want, the truth is it's so damn hard to get hired for anything now.

I tried playing the mother back to work card for my last interview in a museum. (low money but I was 'experienced' and it would have been a perfect segue job since it was only a few hours a week). I even did the "I have no child care problems and this job is ideal for me" spiel (which is what they want to hear and it is 100% the truth) and I didn't even get a thanks for showing up letter.

My last job was $10/hr, the only job I have held in this damn state and I didn't have to take any degrees off...they were pleased as punch to have me do their job, a really rough administrative fill in job that should have been $15 an hour.

So, my point...you can 'try to lie' and just keep applying. You could put you are 'working towards' a degree, I suppose. Or you can try to get a job in a daycare center. They pay crappy but it's a job and they always need people because the turn over is so high (I did about 4 years in various daycare centers as the bulk of my teaching).

Good luck. I have experience and have people wasting my time (I believe they already have someone picked out). I've done 'networking,' volunteering, and all the fun stuff you are 'supposed to do' but nothing has come across my path.

We're going to just move back to somewhere with more jobs hopefully in the next few months. I know the recession is bad all over but you have to play the odds. I suggest you try to move to the biggest booming city in your area, start to volunteer (make connections, have something recent on the resume) and apply all over (without your degree listed).

Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Honey, you can lie all you want, the truth is it's so damn hard to get hired for anything now.

I tried playing the mother back to work card for my last interview in a museum. (low money but I was 'experienced' and it would have been a perfect segue job since it was only a few hours a week). I even did the "I have no child care problems and this job is ideal for me" spiel (which is what they want to hear and it is 100% the truth) and I didn't even get a thanks for showing up letter.

My last job was $10/hr, the only job I have held in this damn state and I didn't have to take any degrees off...they were pleased as punch to have me do their job, a really rough administrative fill in job that should have been $15 an hour.

So, my point...you can 'try to lie' and just keep applying. You could put you are 'working towards' a degree, I suppose. Or you can try to get a job in a daycare center. They pay crappy but it's a job and they always need people because the turn over is so high (I did about 4 years in various daycare centers as the bulk of my teaching).

Good luck. I have experience and have people wasting my time (I believe they already have someone picked out). I've done 'networking,' volunteering, and all the fun stuff you are 'supposed to do' but nothing has come across my path.

We're going to just move back to somewhere with more jobs hopefully in the next few months. I know the recession is bad all over but you have to play the odds. I suggest you try to move to the biggest booming city in your area, start to volunteer (make connections, have something recent on the resume) and apply all over (without your degree listed).
I am going to keep applying. I am going to try leaving my degree off and leaving it on and see which works best. It is just really hard to find a job with a teaching degree. I just found out one of my classmates from college never found a teaching job with a B.S. in elementary education and it has been five years since we graduated. I am trying my luck at preschools. I do have an interview tomorrow for a teacher assistant job so maybe things are turning around.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:12 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,472,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Well, I admit that I am willing to take a $10 an hour job. I have applied and even interviewed for a few of these jobs with no luck. I am being told that I am overqualified even though I would happily take a $10 an hour job because it would allow me to get off unemployment and focus on training for a new career. My degree is in elementary education and I don't see it getting any easier to find a teaching job anytime soon. Even my state unemployment office said that they have a very large number of teachers who are out of work. I have considered taking my degree off my resume but then I have to remove my teaching experience. How would I do this or should I continue to remain honest? I can't say that I have been a stay at home mom because I am single.

I had to totally "dumb down" my resume to get the job I currently have (and have held for 2 years). I took my degrees off and took off any true professional work. I simply put my call center/customer service work experience on there and, to explain the gap, I just said I was a stay-at-home mom for a few years... blah, blah, blah..

I think the reason you won't get hired if you have degrees, certificates, etc listed on your resume is becuase they think if they hire you, you'll still be looking for a "real" job and will quit once you find one. You have to play the game.... don't act overly smart, don't use "big" words, don't come off as overly professional. Just be a plain, ol' job applicant.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,399,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Try having two doctorates!!!! Talk about needing to dumb down a resume!!!!! ...but still unemployed. I'm too old to join the military. ...truck driving school?

Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Try having two doctorates!!!! Talk about needing to dumb down a resume!!!!! ...but still unemployed. I'm too old to join the military. ...truck driving school?
I am so sorry.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:37 PM

454 posts, read 689,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
don't act overly smart, don't use "big" words, don't come off as overly professional. Just be a plain, ol' job applicant.

GOOD LUCK!!!
You're right on that one. They want you to be an average working ho...a hard-working ho at that. barely getting by with no time for vacation or anything. Just to live a mediocre 8-5 or 9-6 lifestyle and a 30 minute lunch in their yucky looking breakroom with a microwave that hasn't been cleaned in weeks.

Guess ya just have to play the part...

Old 01-05-2010, 12:00 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
According to a statement in your profile you are retired and financially secure. Has your situation changed radically since March 2009?

Quote:
03-22-2009 01:14 AM - permalink
dcashley

ok....let's be friends:
a little about me:
I live in Redlands, California. I own a nice 4 bedroom home, two cars, several dogs. I retired about 5 years ago--and I have no bills at all.
I have a real good education--not that it matters much. I have a BA in Philosophy, A BS in Business Administration, an MBA with a double concentration, a DBA (doctor of business admin) and a PhD in Executive Management.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:04 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I had to totally "dumb down" my resume to get the job I currently have (and have held for 2 years). I took my degrees off and took off any true professional work. I simply put my call center/customer service work experience on there and, to explain the gap, I just said I was a stay-at-home mom for a few years... blah, blah, blah..

I think the reason you won't get hired if you have degrees, certificates, etc listed on your resume is becuase they think if they hire you, you'll still be looking for a "real" job and will quit once you find one. You have to play the game.... don't act overly smart, don't use "big" words, don't come off as overly professional. Just be a plain, ol' job applicant.

GOOD LUCK!!!
How did you manage to not fail the background check (if they performed one)?

What about when you filled out the job application?

I think these are the kinds of things people are worried about getting "tripped up" on these days when they dumb down a resume. It's a real "nuts and bolts" problem.

I did it successfully many years ago myself and it was a good strategy, but if I had to do it again today I would be worried about these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search