Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 02:03 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,025 times

Advertisements

Just curious if putting a website or blog you run on a resume is good?

Obviously assuming the content is appropriate and not controversial would you say its a good thing, bad thing or not relevant at all?

Obviously I guess this kinda depends on the position, for a tech position obviously but what about other positions?

When I first came out of college I had a busines making and selling beanbag/cornhole games. I held tournaments at bars/restaurants, made custom games, gave games to charity raffles.

Seeing as how out of colleg I had little real experience people at interviews and a job I landed told me they liked it, showed initiative, creatitivity, that I was doing something, entrepreneurship, etc. Its soemthing that differentiated me from the crowd of other grads who had mall jobs and internships.

Just wondering what the take on a website/blog would be. I'm not super techy but have worked in non technical aspects at internet startups, internet advertising nad ike that industry. I think it would be good showing I know minor HTML, adsense, tracking online campaigns, hits impressions, etc.

Curious if for my particular situation it would be good and also jut for any job if good/bad/ or doesnt matter one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
I don't think there's one real answer that applies to everyone.

I think it depends on the exact nature of the subject of the website, what other experience you have to counterbalance it, and what kind of job you are seeking.

Cornhole is a college kids game, one that frequently accompanies drinking and rowdy college behavior. So it's not exactly a winning endorsement. I would probably only use that kind of experience if I really couldn't dig up anything else relevant, AND I was applying for a job where the average employee was relatively young and 'hip' and could possibly relate to the experience. If I was applying to work for an insurance company, no way would I mention cornhole. If it was a personal blog (what the dog did, the kids did, some random personal experience, etc), I DEFINITELY wouldn't put it on there. If it was a non-profit, I WOULD put it on my resume.

After college, I would be really hesitant to include anything from your college days other than your degree itself. Listing college activities and work only emphasizes your youthfulness and limited experience.

If you feel there is significant relevant experience, this could be another opportunity where you 'sanitize' the information. It's been discussed here in the past when people want to include religious or political experience. They might write 'political candidate election committee volunteer' or something, but not the candidate's name or party affiliation. You could do the same. Just identify the work as 'not-for-profit website development' and list your accomplishments related to that work.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:04 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,724 times
I would put that experience on my resume only if it was relevant to the job I was applying for, or if I could make it relate to it in some way.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times
I would not do it.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:20 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
I know of people that have blogs related to their job. Why wouldn't you list that type of blog or web site? If what you are posting shows your background and experience in the subject then the blog becomes a tool to help get you a job.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I don't think there's one real answer that applies to everyone.

I think it depends on the exact nature of the subject of the website, what other experience you have to counterbalance it, and what kind of job you are seeking.

Cornhole is a college kids game, one that frequently accompanies drinking and rowdy college behavior. So it's not exactly a winning endorsement. I would probably only use that kind of experience if I really couldn't dig up anything else relevant, AND I was applying for a job where the average employee was relatively young and 'hip' and could possibly relate to the experience. If I was applying to work for an insurance company, no way would I mention cornhole. If it was a personal blog (what the dog did, the kids did, some random personal experience, etc), I DEFINITELY wouldn't put it on there. If it was a non-profit, I WOULD put it on my resume.

After college, I would be really hesitant to include anything from your college days other than your degree itself. Listing college activities and work only emphasizes your youthfulness and limited experience.

If you feel there is significant relevant experience, this could be another opportunity where you 'sanitize' the information. It's been discussed here in the past when people want to include religious or political experience. They might write 'political candidate election committee volunteer' or something, but not the candidate's name or party affiliation. You could do the same. Just identify the work as 'not-for-profit website development' and list your accomplishments related to that work.
Have to say I totally disagree. If I had an interneship working with the chicago Bears should I not mention that b/c people tailgage and drink before games.

Cornhole is not like I'm selling bongs or something, its a pretty normal game, in my area its a part of most family get togethers, graduation parties, family reunions.

Don't get me wrong college kids do get wasted and play the game but how does that reflect on me for making and selling games.

your logic is flawed. I do agree I wouldn't use that experience today as I have work experience but absolutely nothing wrong or inappropriate with using that back then.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:25 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Wow and I thought cornholing was a differant kind of sport. LOL

Old 03-12-2011, 11:30 AM

207 posts, read 501,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Have to say I totally disagree. If I had an interneship working with the chicago Bears should I not mention that b/c people tailgage and drink before games.

Cornhole is not like I'm selling bongs or something, its a pretty normal game, in my area its a part of most family get togethers, graduation parties, family reunions.

Don't get me wrong college kids do get wasted and play the game but how does that reflect on me for making and selling games.

your logic is flawed. I do agree I wouldn't use that experience today as I have work experience but absolutely nothing wrong or inappropriate with using that back then.
Its not the same. A personal blog is something that 99.9% of people don't care about and could rarely be a positive. If someone put their blog on their resume, I would honestly probably look it up, and unless it was smart and related to my industry, I would toss their resume.

Unless they were a paid webmaster, I couldn't care less that you figured out how to build a Harry Potter fan site from a template. Again, I'd almost certainly toss the resume, unless the website was relevant.

If I saw someone ran a non-profit, unless they actually were known, I would assume that they are just making things up.

It's not like working for company whose users sometimes do bad things with their product, this is bragging about your own stupid product and it shows bad judgment.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:44 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,683 times
I designed my spouse's webpage, his Facebook Fan page for his business. I don't see why I wouldn't put that on a resume-it shows I am comfortable using social media.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
While most businesses will now be on social media and use it some, for office employees personal use can be a severe productivity problem. As a hiring manager I would consider moderating on forums related to the work as a positive, but personal blogs and websites as potential distractions, therefore negatives to hiring. Designing a spouse's website is not job related to what we do so it would be ignored. With the short space allowed in a good resume, better to use it to promote the job related skills and experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search