Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:06 AM

116 posts, read 459,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickP View Post
All of the newer subdivisions which have the most young kids running around (Heritage, Murabella, Sevilla) are going to be cookie cutter type homes and the price you want to spend typcially determines the lot size. Like 65', 75', 85', etc. Some of the sections inside King & Bear have much nicer lots, established trees and a more variety of homes from probably $250k - $1m+ but much less young kids and the swimming pool area is not quite as nice. Have you visited the area? There is also a brand new Publix shopping area that opened in 2009. Many of the retail & restaurants in the WGV complex itself have struggled over the years but the IMAX, WG Hall of Fame, PGA Pro Shop & Golf Courses continue to strive. The area still continues to grow. If you want to be in St. Johns County you could also look at the Julington Creek area down to CR 210. There are much more older and newer subdivisions to choose from an exit or two north of WGV. Good Luck!
JCP has too high of CDD fees, in addition to HOAs.
Can you suggest other "good" areas in ST Johns County that would fit our criteria as previously-mentioned? We do have younger kids and A+ schools are a priority in a safe, kids-friendly community...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 10:59 AM

60 posts, read 257,882 times
Try looking into South Hampton or Stonehurst Plantation on CR210. Great neighborhoods for people with children, great schools and very nice area.
I live in South Hampton and there are no CDD fees and a relatively low HOA fee compared to other neighborhoods. The HOA spends a lot of $$ each year on family activities and events.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4merWNYer View Post
Try looking into South Hampton or Stonehurst Plantation on CR210. Great neighborhoods for people with children, great schools and very nice area.
I live in South Hampton and there are no CDD fees and a relatively low HOA fee compared to other neighborhoods. The HOA spends a lot of $$ each year on family activities and events.
Great.
How about lots sizes there? Are these zero lots or bigger lots?
Would you recommend a good realtor for these areas?

Old 01-02-2010, 09:06 PM

20 posts, read 98,661 times
Keep in mind 210 will give you tons of traffic headaches. You'll get more house for your money going an exit south to the WGV area. Avoid Heritage Landing & Samara Lakes since you mentioned you don't want to reach out & touch your neighbor's house. Murabella has lots anywhere form 65 - 85' lots & King & Bear is nice - but pricier. Keep in mind that if you live in the back of King & Bear you'll have a 10 minute residential drive before you ever pull out of your subdivision.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiFL View Post
Keep in mind 210 will give you tons of traffic headaches. You'll get more house for your money going an exit south to the WGV area. Avoid Heritage Landing & Samara Lakes since you mentioned you don't want to reach out & touch your neighbor's house. Murabella has lots anywhere form 65 - 85' lots & King & Bear is nice - but pricier. Keep in mind that if you live in the back of King & Bear you'll have a 10 minute residential drive before you ever pull out of your subdivision.
WHAT ARE KIDS-friendly subdivisions with bigger lots, 1 exit south of wgv?
I will be working in Jax around JButler blvd towards the beach.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:57 PM

154 posts, read 645,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashelter View Post
WHAT ARE KIDS-friendly subdivisions with bigger lots, 1 exit south of wgv?
I will be working in Jax around JButler blvd towards the beach.
I don't know where you are moving from but this is Florida, there aren't kid friendly swim/tennis neighborhoods with 1 acre lots. You might find a very large lot in King & Bear but not for $350k. South of WGV, the schools are not as good. I would suggest you come down here and look around or rent for a year.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 AM

55 posts, read 153,117 times
I currently live in Sevilla and love it. We moved down here a year and a half ago and have 2 kids (age 3 and 1). The neighborhood is the closest to 95 off of Intl Golf Pkwy which we wanted since my commute is up to Jacksonville (I95 and JTB). The commute for me is about 25 minutes, if we lived in Heritage Landing it would add probably 10 - 15 mins depending on how far into the neighborhood we were. There are tons of kids in my neighborhood as there are in Heritage Landing and Murabella. For us we looked at a few things in deciding between the 3... close to 95, size of neighborhood, and the houses available to be built. Sevilla won on all 3 for us, but everyone is different. In terms of diversity, I think Sevilla is pretty good for Florida. My wife is Filipino and there are a few other Filipino families in the neighborhood. Also there is a pretty good mix of empty nesters, families and married couples with no kids yet. A good idea might be to rent for a year and then decide where you want to build. You can get a great deal on a new house and if you rented you could sign a year lease on a house in one of the neighborhoods and then 4 or 5 month in you could decide to build.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:36 PM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
South of WGV, the schools are not as good

Huh?

Florida Public K-12 Schools are graded based on data from the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT) provided by Florida Department of Education. St. Johns County schools received the following marks:

(Grade "A","B","C","D","F")

29 Schools..

23 -"A"
5 - "B"
1 - "C"
0 - "D"
0 - "F"

Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 PM

227 posts, read 415,226 times
Quote:
I don't know where you are moving from but this is Florida, there aren't kid friendly swim/tennis neighborhoods with 1 acre lots. You might find a very large lot in King & Bear but not for $350k. South of WGV, the schools are not as good. I would suggest you come down here and look around or rent for a year.
I live in a kid-friendly, swim/tennis neighborhood in St. Augustine with a playground and baseball diamond for the kids, although lots are 1/2 acre. Home prices can go MUCH higher than $350,000 but a few can be found for less. St. Johns school system is rated among the highest in Florida.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 PM

118 posts, read 408,628 times
Here is a link to the actual WGV communities, http://www.wgv.com/realestate/realestate.php. Of those communities, I live in Heritage Landing and really like it for the kid friendly activities. DR Horton is the builder now, but there were a couple of others originally. Legacy area are the upscale Heritage Landing homes and would be in your price range. There are lots of kids (in all age ranges) in the community and my son really enjoys the activities and he socializes quite a bit.
Other communities in the area to compare and consider are Durbin Crossing, Nocatee, Las Calinas, Kensington, Murabella and Sevilla or a little further away is Colony at Greenbriar. There are so many options in the area, all with access to "A" rated schools. I have heard conflicting information about Murabella. Sevilla has Mattamy and Richmond American home builders which both would be within your price range and they are both good quality builders. Durbin Crossing and Nocatee has many builders and you could really find a good selection of homes that are in very kid friendly communities with access to great amenities comparable or maybe better than Heritage Landing. Durbin Crossing and Nocatee have more upscale developments and not just the cookie cutter homes, but Legacy in Heritage Landing is not cookie cutter either. I just contracted with a client in Durbin with DS Ware and really was impressed with the amenities and the builders. Nocatee is about to open their huge amenity and water park and it is really impressive, but is a drive to get to from most neighborhoods in Nocatee. I like Heritage Landing because everything is within walking distance and it is a very active community.

Last edited by dspenc8888; 01-11-2010 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville