Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:10 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Somehow we seem to forget that not everyone that buys a home is looking to sell within the next 25 years. There are lots of people who have bought several homes throughout their lifetime and are deciding it's time to buy their dream home and stay put. So for them who cares about the cycles in the next 25 years? Now may be the right time to buy in Nocatee or anywhere else.
what you say might be true, but the stats don't agree with you many people do move a lot.
being able to sell your home easily is a very big consideration and a buying into place like Nocatee, no matter how nice it might become, people need to be aware that it is planned to have a long build out process and being in competition with the builders might hinder their resale chances
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:39 PM

859 posts, read 3,618,843 times
Are they a direct competitor with Silverleaf Plantation, the other 15 year build out community in St Johns? The only thing exciting about them are their amenity centers, everything else is still cookie cutter houses. 25 year build out is extremely long term...they might be underwater before it's even done!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
what you say might be true, but the stats don't agree with you many people do move a lot.
being able to sell your home easily is a very big consideration and a buying into place like Nocatee, no matter how nice it might become, people need to be aware that it is planned to have a long build out process and being in competition with the builders might hinder their resale chances
Right. The last statistic I heard said that Americans move once every 5 years on average (I think I'm averaging once every 4 years right now ).

I think you always need an escape plan. Even if you don't intend to move, something might happen and you have to, so you should have that in the back of your mind when you buy - it's only prudent to do so.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
25 year build out is extremely long term...they might be underwater before it's even done!
It's certainly possible.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:24 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,737,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I think you always need an escape plan. Even if you don't intend to move, something might happen and you have to, so you should have that in the back of your mind when you buy - it's only prudent to do so.
I guess you're right, you have a point.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:52 PM

14 posts, read 50,015 times
Hey all, just joined today as I came across the forum. I am about to purchase at Tidewater in Nocatee. My wife and I are in our mid-20s and have been looking to purchase a condo for a while - lifestyle choice, mainly. We have ties to the Ponte Vedra area and wanted to find a place without a long travel time, etc.

My question is, with Tidewater currently the only "planned" Condominiums in Nocatee, do you think we'll need to wait longer than 4-5 years to be able to see some type of return? I think (hope!) that we have a good deal on a unit this past weekend, but am mostly concerned about being able to sell 4-5 years from now. Please feel free to ask a question if you want me to go into further detail.

Thanks for the help

Old 03-03-2008, 02:29 PM

131 posts, read 621,817 times
They are building apartements around the "town center" which were, according to my understanding, going to be condos... 4-5 years from now when the market is hot again they will be converted to condos. You will be going up against developers where ever you go in large developments. I personally think Nocatee is going to be pretty cool in about 2 years, so I would buy w/ ease and enjoy it. The thoughts on the appreciation of this area have been gone over ad nauseam, I dont think anyone really knows for sure, but they will be building this thing for the next 3 decades w/ developers who have deeper pockets than the owners... it will be hard to sell would be my guess. But live where you want to now, let 4-5 years from now take care of itself I say.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:31 PM

859 posts, read 3,618,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etronsman View Post
Hey all, just joined today as I came across the forum. I am about to purchase at Tidewater in Nocatee. My wife and I are in our mid-20s and have been looking to purchase a condo for a while - lifestyle choice, mainly. We have ties to the Ponte Vedra area and wanted to find a place without a long travel time, etc.

My question is, with Tidewater currently the only "planned" Condominiums in Nocatee, do you think we'll need to wait longer than 4-5 years to be able to see some type of return? I think (hope!) that we have a good deal on a unit this past weekend, but am mostly concerned about being able to sell 4-5 years from now. Please feel free to ask a question if you want me to go into further detail.

Thanks for the help
No one can say for sure what happens with the housing market 4-5 years later. Right now it's best to buy based on what your needs are. Unless it's some beach front condo, regular condos are difficult to sell. Nocatee has a 35 year build out grand master plan, so there will be more condo being built. Also, condo's really a hard seller in JAX due to its surplus. There are plenty of condos for rent/lease/sale in every part of the JAX community. There will be a return 5 years later, but how little or how much return is unknown.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etronsman View Post

Thanks for the help
If I had to place a bet on it, I would say that 5 years might be a little too soon to see a return. But it sounds like you want to be there, so maybe it's worth it even if you only break even in 5 years, or only lose a little?

I do wonder though, what is making you chose Nocatee - which is untested - over Ponte Vedra proper? Ponte Vedra has a high desireability factor that Nocatee does not have at this time....why not place your bet on Ponte Vedra?

Old 03-03-2008, 09:30 PM

14 posts, read 50,015 times
A couple of reasons we are choosing Nocatee:

New construction, as opposed to some older units in Ponte Vedra. Also, hoping that Nocatee lives up to the "hype", i.e., Aquatics Center, Town Center, Greenway Trails, etc.

It seems to me that you can't really get the price per square foot in Ponte Vedra that you can in Nocatee. I'm talking about a condo here. My wife and I can only afford to purchase a condo, and with what we're paying for rent right now in Ponte Vedra, it's hard to save up for a house.

We'll be paying practically the same amount per month on the mortgage (taxes, CDDs included) as we would for rent. That, along with the tax benefits, should outweigh at least renting, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville