Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:23 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by etronsman View Post
New construction, as opposed to some older units in Ponte Vedra. Also, hoping that Nocatee lives up to the "hype", i.e., Aquatics Center, Town Center, Greenway Trails, etc.
And that's where I think Nocatee might fail. Promises, promises, right?

I understand the attraction to new construction, I do, but how about newer construction? You don't have to buy a condo built in the 80's, but what about the late 90's or early 2000's? There's something nice about being the first one to live in brand new construction, but it's not like a car, it's stationary, so you've got to be sure that it's a location that will sell later......and that's a huge unknown with Nocatee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 16,401 times
Default Tidewater

Just wondering if you ended up buying a condo at Tidewater. If so, do you like it there?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,127 times
Currently, my husband and I are looking to buy the single family house in Austin Park at Nacatee. The price is around 400k. Is it a good price? Is it a good idea to buy a house here. Thank you in advance for all comment.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,956 times
There is a foreclosure where I live in Coastal Oaks right now. Personally, I would check that out first. It has a court lot and backs to nature preserve.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 PM

615 posts, read 1,713,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahthai View Post
Currently, my husband and I are looking to buy the single family house in Austin Park at Nacatee. The price is around 400k. Is it a good price? Is it a good idea to buy a house here. Thank you in advance for all comment.
We've been in our house in Austin Park for about 2 months now, and we love it here! Not sure what sort of things you are looking for in a neighborhood, but we're really happy with the schools and Austin Park in general. Lots of kids and friendly neighbors.

We bought a Taylor Morrison home. Not sure what house you're looking at, but $400K seems pretty high to me. Most of Taylor Morrison's house are around $280-320, but they're selling the model (a Lafayette) for over $400k but it's really "decked out" - 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, plus bonum room and office and a beautiful backyard with a pool. Cornerstone might have some more expensive homes...not sure.

Anyway, we're really glad we bought here. I like being close to Philips Hwy (i.e. the road to shopping/restuarants) although we're furthest from the waterpark. I'll be glad to answer any questions if I can, just shoot me a message.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:46 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,281,701 times
my hubbie and i were looking in nocatee whe we moved from atlanta not that long ago and 400k does seem a littllre high i think especially now
i bet you can get a a great home there for not a penny over 350k but we eneded up moving closer to jacksonville

if you like it go for it!!!

Last edited by fsu813; 09-26-2010 at 07:57 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 04:39 PM

139 posts, read 355,653 times
This thread is extremely interesting to someone who just visited Coastal Oaks last week. The concern I have is the same as the OP posted 2 years ago - how long will it take for your new home to appreciate? Based on 2 visits with the Sales Manager at Tolls Brothers in Nocatee, and info from our realtor, here's what I've learned:

1. Coastal Oaks is not being built in as "high end" a fashion as originally planned. Toll Bros are adding a 5th collection of homes that will be the lowest prices they offer. The higher-end homes - Estate and Signature collections - aren't selling well, so some streets originally designated as these are being converted to Ambassador homes (mid-point prices).

2. Existing homes in Coastal Oaks are more expensive than building new, especially factoring in incentives. As the manager said "Were offering this model at xxx, but nobodys paid xxx yet".

3. Nocatee is expected to be a community of 15,000, less than 1/2 of originally planned.

4. According to our realtor, it may take 7 + years from today to recoup your investment in Nocatee. Homes in PVB, especially east of A1A, will rebound the soonest. If the economy plods along a few more years, then rises, I'm hoping she's wrong.

We spent 3 days looking at homes in Palencia, Plantation Oaks, Marsh Landing, Marsh Harbor, Payasada Estates, Coastal Oaks, and old PVB. I'm concerned Nocatee could become another Palencia, Marsh Harbor or Payasad, with many foreclosures. I would love to move to PVB rather than Nocatee, but unless I find the home that has what I want, I may end up building in Coastal Oaks after all. I'll just hope that I love living in FL and won't need to sell my home for ten years!

Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,281,701 times
big article in the paper a few weeks ago about nocatee
it said its going forward slooowly

Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect View Post
This thread is extremely interesting to someone who just visited Coastal Oaks last week. The concern I have is the same as the OP posted 2 years ago - how long will it take for your new home to appreciate? Based on 2 visits with the Sales Manager at Tolls Brothers in Nocatee, and info from our realtor, here's what I've learned:

1. Coastal Oaks is not being built in as "high end" a fashion as originally planned. Toll Bros are adding a 5th collection of homes that will be the lowest prices they offer. The higher-end homes - Estate and Signature collections - aren't selling well, so some streets originally designated as these are being converted to Ambassador homes (mid-point prices).

2. Existing homes in Coastal Oaks are more expensive than building new, especially factoring in incentives. As the manager said "Were offering this model at xxx, but nobodys paid xxx yet".

3. Nocatee is expected to be a community of 15,000, less than 1/2 of originally planned.

4. According to our realtor, it may take 7 + years from today to recoup your investment in Nocatee. Homes in PVB, especially east of A1A, will rebound the soonest. If the economy plods along a few more years, then rises, I'm hoping she's wrong.

We spent 3 days looking at homes in Palencia, Plantation Oaks, Marsh Landing, Marsh Harbor, Payasada Estates, Coastal Oaks, and old PVB. I'm concerned Nocatee could become another Palencia, Marsh Harbor or Payasad, with many foreclosures. I would love to move to PVB rather than Nocatee, but unless I find the home that has what I want, I may end up building in Coastal Oaks after all. I'll just hope that I love living in FL and won't need to sell my home for ten years!
I don't think you know much about Florida real estate booms/busts. Apart from the fact that no one can predict them with any certainty - the cycles tend to be somewhat short from peak to bottom - and then a much longer time from botton to next top. Think 7-10 years to more or less break even is about the average time frame based on the last 3 boom/busts we've gone through. And that's everywhere in the state.

Think I've mentioned it before. But the absolute best place to buy now or in the next couple of years in Florida IMO is SE on the water. If you were truly interested in appreciation - that's where you'd be buying - not anywhere here. Heck - if I were in my 40's and not my 60's - I'd buy my Dad's old house in Lighthouse Point - 100 feet of deep water canal 10 minutes away from the ocean - no fixed bridges. He sold it for $1.5 million in 2005 - and you can pick it up now for about $600-700k - maybe less. Houses on dry boring lots come and go here - they're a dime a dozen. It's really the waterfront that counts if you're interested in appreciation. Robyn

Old 09-28-2010, 10:56 AM

530 posts, read 1,351,956 times
Just wanted to correct a couple items mentioned by islandtimect. There is no plan to add a lower priced 5th collection of homes in Coastal Oaks. There is also no expectation that Nocatee will be half the size then it was planned. It is slow to develop as would be expected in this economy, but there is no plan to reduce the final size. Coastal Oaks will never be similar to Palencia in terms of foreclosures, just for the fact that it is being developed in a very different economic atmosphere. There are no crazy zero percent down, zero percent interest for 5 year loans. There will be foreclosures occasionally, but it will never be an epidemic. I also have to say that I think the developers of Nocatee, the Parc group, have done a fantastic job with getting the water park done , infrastructure, etc. In the worst economy I have seen in my life time, they have stepped up and made this a fantastic place to live. Toll Brothers too has been responsible up to this point in keeping our individual community standards up, while dealing with economic reality of the moment. In fact the single biggest down side for me, is I just wish more people were in a position to buy here right now so my three boys would have more play mates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville