Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 AM

139 posts, read 355,653 times

Advertisements

Don, the info I posted came straight from the mouth of the sales manager at Toll Brothers in Coastal Oaks. The revised numbers of homes to be sold in Nocatee and the tion of a newer, less expensive collection of homes was also news to our realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 04:12 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect View Post
Don, the info I posted came straight from the mouth of the sales manager at Toll Brothers in Coastal Oaks. The revised numbers of homes to be sold in Nocatee and the tion of a newer, less expensive collection of homes was also news to our realtor.
Are you talking about Toll Brothers building fewer homes - or Nocatee having fewer homes? Don't know about the former - but the latter would have made headlines somewhere - and I've seen no such headlines. Moreover - it wouldn't make sense that developers who worked so hard to get approval to build X houses over the next 20 years - would - today - say there will be fewer 20 years down the road.

As for less expensive homes. I don't know anything about the HOAs in Nocatee. But - in general - most HOAs have building rules. They don't deal with dollar amounts - but with things like square footage requirements - design details - allowable uses - etc. And the building rules will in turn usually dictate the minimum kind of house that can be built in your HOA. These are almost always recorded covenants that "run with the land" - very hard or impossible to change. So if I were looking at Nocatee - I'd see what the covenants looked like in the HOAs where I was looking.

Also keep in mind that a master HOA can have sub-HOAs with different rules. Here in Marsh Landing - there are sub-HOAs where you can build 2500 sf - some where you have to build 4500 sf or more - and others in between. Different building standards (like requiring or not requiring tile roofs) may also apply. But - like I said - all of these things are recorded in the public records of St. Johns County - pretty easy to look up. Robyn

Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,956 times
sub-HOA's are the rule here Robyn. This community was laid out a lot like marsh landing , with the different markers denoting the different sections within the community. Each HOA pays a slightly different yearly fee, and does have min sq foot requirements. While sales here have not been on fire by any means, it is the only community really selling anything for Toll right now. I would hate to be a builder right now, but things will change again.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:41 AM

216 posts, read 475,628 times
I would add that if your'e thinking of putting 400k in a house in Florida, and buying a place across the Intercoastal on that deathtrap highway in Nocatee, considering the shakey financial future, you should
travel SE and SW Florida. Even if you wanted to stay in this area, you can get house with a double lot in Dolphin cove less than a mile from the Ocean. No association dues, no zoning restrictions. Your value is not tied to anyone else's, which in this economy is the major liability.

But if you go way SE, SW or in the Keys, you can get a nice house with waterfront dockspace for the same price. Even if likely it goes down the next couple of years, it will come back the fastest in the state.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:41 PM

If you're talking about the actual road in Nocatee - well it's a great road - certainly not a deathtrap.

I'm not sure I agree with you about the Keys in particular - but I do agree with you about waterfront in general. I don't think now is a great time to be buying for "appreciation" - but if someone wants to buy a place to live in - that's fine. FWIW - the prices where I live are either stable or still going down a bit. If we ever get back to the most recent highs - I think it will take about 7-10 years (based on my previous experiences with Florida booms/busts). Robyn

Old 10-03-2010, 06:37 PM

615 posts, read 1,713,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayrunner View Post
I would add that if your'e thinking of putting 400k in a house in Florida, and buying a place across the Intercoastal on that deathtrap highway in Nocatee, considering the shakey financial future, you should
travel SE and SW Florida. Even if you wanted to stay in this area, you can get house with a double lot in Dolphin cove less than a mile from the Ocean. No association dues, no zoning restrictions. Your value is not tied to anyone else's, which in this economy is the major liability.

But if you go way SE, SW or in the Keys, you can get a nice house with waterfront dockspace for the same price. Even if likely it goes down the next couple of years, it will come back the fastest in the state.
What's this all about? Are you talking about Nocatee Parkway?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:22 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,956 times
It's just one of those folks who has no idea what he is talking about. I would guess he has never even driven down the road. It's like the folks who just hate development of any kind . They just throw stuff out there about Mc Mansions and Halliburton , it's all evil and a deathtrap. Don't expect it to make any sense.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:15 AM

216 posts, read 475,628 times
Default From Nocatee to the beach is a deathtrap!

Whether you take Palm Valley or Roscoe its a dark, no lights, two-lane, no shoulder killer of a road, esp at night when the drunks are out! The type of head on, no survival accidents. Bicycling on those roads is suicide.

But hey, you can also buy a house on the ocean on A1A and back out every day onto a 60 mph unlighted 2 lane highway and you won't see the semi bearing down on you until your'e blocking both lanes.

About Nocatee, though, I was listening to some realtor the other night concerned about presenting a purchase offer of 500k from a couple up north on a place there. Had to clear it with his broker about not mentioning a lot of nasty stuff like the principals pulling out for worries about non disclosure. Their lawyer said it was public knowledge so they were covered. Of course it isn't public knowledge to the couple from Indianapolis or they wouldn't be buying it.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayrunner View Post
Whether you take Palm Valley or Roscoe its a dark, no lights, two-lane, no shoulder killer of a road, esp at night when the drunks are out! The type of head on, no survival accidents. Bicycling on those roads is suicide.

But hey, you can also buy a house on the ocean on A1A and back out every day onto a 60 mph unlighted 2 lane highway and you won't see the semi bearing down on you until your'e blocking both lanes.

About Nocatee, though, I was listening to some realtor the other night concerned about presenting a purchase offer of 500k from a couple up north on a place there. Had to clear it with his broker about not mentioning a lot of nasty stuff like the principals pulling out for worries about non disclosure. Their lawyer said it was public knowledge so they were covered. Of course it isn't public knowledge to the couple from Indianapolis or they wouldn't be buying it.
I really don't know what on earth you're talking about. Perhaps you have trouble driving at night? I do agree that people on bicycles have to be careful on Roscoe (and should definitely not be on bicycles at night).

And could you give us additional information about what you're saying about Nocatee? Not just vague innuendo. Robyn

Old 10-09-2010, 07:56 PM

134 posts, read 329,942 times
I do have to agree with gray on the darkness aspect of Nocatee parkway and Palm Valley area. My wife used to work at the Sawgrass Mariott and drove every morning anywhere from 4am to 5am from the WGV and she used to complain of the same things. Nothing but darkness until you get near the round about where Palm Valley intersects with Mickler. I've only ever driven that route at night once and hated how dark it was. Of course it might be different now as she hasn't driven that way since last November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville