Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:54 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
They are indeed crowded near the entry-points, which for most of the beaches is where the only bathroom facilities are located. So unless you have the ability to hold it or want to pee in the water, most people congregate around those locations. Yes you can walk for some space but heaven help you if you have kids and someone has to go #2!
LOL - and Guana Beaches don't have bathrooms, do they? I bet more people would go to those if they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 12:14 PM

9,395 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
LOL - and Guana Beaches don't have bathrooms, do they? I bet more people would go to those if they did.
They have a single port-a-potty in the parking lots. And you really need a bio-hazard suit to enter them.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:33 PM

48 posts, read 139,801 times
You are correct-trash cans are a problem. They are located in the parking lot. I guess that would mean they'd have to pay someone to go onto the beach and empty those cans. Either no one in a decision making position has thought of that idea or they don't want to spend the $$. Yesterday I saw two men drive into parking lot, go out to beach smoking in street clothes. Take a quick selfie, put out cigarettes into the sand and leave. Cause you know the beach is one giant ashtray......

Old 06-09-2016, 02:46 PM

52 posts, read 85,875 times
At micklers, we saw people that were no doubt not from the area. We thought it was from the masters. How do I know this? They were Ewing and awing at beach, had cameras and no beach clothes and kept blocking the enterance, and didn't seem to understand the etiquette. I thought many were international. I agree it's not the best beach ever, but it's prettier than some other east coast beaches, and any day at the beach is great. If it's such a problem, locals should go to board meetings and lobby for new rules and better patrols. People clean up their act real quick when they read reviews that warn them it's a strict beach.

What beach club is right next to micklers, and what is the coast of it? We could see it and couldn't get to it. Looked like a nice vibe.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:24 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmom2011 View Post
People the beaches don't get that crowded! Sure during the late spring/summer on the weekends and summer vacation they are packed but during the rest of the year they are uncrowded and wonderful. And they are nothing like the resort towns up north. Here if you are willing to walk a bit you can find a nice secluded bit of sand.

They do need trash cans on the beach! For both immediate trash disposal and for those of us who pick up washed up stuff/left behinds.
Well of course the beaches here aren't crowded in late fall/winter/early spring. It's cold! Maybe not NE cold. But too cold to swim or engage in other beach frolics.

Agree that there should be trash cans on all beaches. Robyn

Old 06-09-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinebound95 View Post
At micklers, we saw people that were no doubt not from the area. We thought it was from the masters. How do I know this? They were Ewing and awing at beach, had cameras and no beach clothes and kept blocking the enterance, and didn't seem to understand the etiquette. I thought many were international. I agree it's not the best beach ever, but it's prettier than some other east coast beaches, and any day at the beach is great. If it's such a problem, locals should go to board meetings and lobby for new rules and better patrols. People clean up their act real quick when they read reviews that warn them it's a strict beach.

What beach club is right next to micklers, and what is the coast of it? We could see it and couldn't get to it. Looked like a nice vibe.

Out of state license plates are a clue too

And do you meant from TPC Tournament in May? There are tons of visitors in the area during that week.

That is The Plantation's beach club. They have a nice pool and deck, but the beach is basically the same public beach as Micklers.

Last edited by snuffybear; 06-09-2016 at 05:51 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 10:18 PM

52 posts, read 85,875 times
Yes the tcp tournament! I don't keep up on tournaments so I probably called it the wrong thing, my husband will flog me if he finds out. It was funny because some locals kept apologizing for the traffic in pvb, and we were like, traffic?, this is nothing! And yea there was locals in all the other areas, and than at micklers it was a way different vibe. I'll have to see how it normally is when we get there but it made me think about joining a beach club. To bad the schools for Vilano are bad, that is such a cute quiet town.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Yes the tcp tournament! I don't keep up on tournaments so I probably called it the wrong thing, my husband will flog me if he finds out. It was funny because some locals kept apologizing for the traffic in pvb, and we were like, traffic?, this is nothing! And yea there was locals in all the other areas, and than at micklers it was a way different vibe. I'll have to see how it normally is when we get there but it made me think about joining a beach club. To bad the schools for Vilano are bad, that is such a cute quiet town.
We know a couple of people - in their early 50's now - more or less - who live in Vilano Beach and sent their kids to school when they were living there. They didn't seem to have any issues sending their kids to the public schools. OTOH - one works in Ponte Vedra Beach - and the other works a little south of St. Augustine. Don't think I'd want to commute to - for example - Southside - if I lived there. One problem with that area is A1A can fog up pretty bad in the winter - which means that driving there isn't much fun. Robyn

Old 06-10-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slahgirl View Post
You are correct-trash cans are a problem. They are located in the parking lot. I guess that would mean they'd have to pay someone to go onto the beach and empty those cans. Either no one in a decision making position has thought of that idea or they don't want to spend the $$. Yesterday I saw two men drive into parking lot, go out to beach smoking in street clothes. Take a quick selfie, put out cigarettes into the sand and leave. Cause you know the beach is one giant ashtray......
As a smoker - I really wish smokers here were like smokers in Asia. Although smoking is ok in most of Asia - littering with cigarette butts is often a big no-no. People use portable ashtrays like these:

asobi-ds | Rakuten Global Market: Windmill HONEYCOMB3 honeycomb 3 portable ashtray moment fire 591-0001

I picked up a few in Japan - and use them. Robyn

Old 06-10-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Then the visitors were definitely from all over.

They do a *great* job of managing traffic flow around town during TPC, and parking for the event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville