Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 04:07 PM

48 posts, read 139,815 times

Advertisements

I am personally sad to see firsthand Mickler's going downhill. It's gotten steadily worse just the past year. I live about a mile away, and it's not the locals who treat the beach poorly, it's the visitors, both local(across the "ditch" as you like to say and out of towners.). Trash is getting unbearable, buckets of dog poop, and just large groups of people who act like they've never been on the beach before and have no idea how on Earth to behave. It's so sad for the people who love and care for the beach to have to share it with people who don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 04:53 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slahgirl View Post
I am personally sad to see firsthand Mickler's going downhill. It's gotten steadily worse just the past year. I live about a mile away, and it's not the locals who treat the beach poorly, it's the visitors, both local(across the "ditch" as you like to say and out of towners.). Trash is getting unbearable, buckets of dog poop, and just large groups of people who act like they've never been on the beach before and have no idea how on Earth to behave. It's so sad for the people who love and care for the beach to have to share it with people who don't.
How do you know who's local - and who isn't? Especially when it comes to those filthy (in your opinion) people from "across the ditch"? Do people wear identification badges? Like I'm from PVB and I'm from "across the ditch" badges? I don't think so.

FWIW - there are so many people here who live at the beaches whose primary goal seems to be walking their dogs on the beach that I suspect that dog poop problems are mainly local. Note that I am a dog hater when it comes to these things. If you have a dog - your dog poops. Don't walk it and have it poop on my lawn - or a public beach - or anything remotely similar. Can't tell you how any times we have yelled at people who allow their dogs to poop on our lawn. If I were king - I would outlaw pooping on beaches 100% (whether you're talking about people - dogs - horses - etc.). Robyn

Old 06-08-2016, 06:43 PM

48 posts, read 139,815 times
Hi Robyn-I certainly never said anyone from over the ditch was filthy. Only that it is very obvious coming from someone who is at the beach several times a week, that the people who don't live here(PV or PVB) don't have the same courtesy and care for the beach as those that do. If you are local and use the beach frequently you wouldn't come and leave your trash all over the beach, unless you are just a total jerk.

And FWIW I completely agree on the dog pooping. Last week while walking onto the boardwalk at Mickler's...someone was allowing their dog to take a poop right on the boardwalk as we were coming in. He did scoop it up, but it was still disgusting none the less. Not to mention not really what you want to see heading onto the beach. Dog poop at Micklers is a huge problem. I am sure some of the offenders are locals...probably the same ones who allow their dogs to poop in other people's yards.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:01 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,790,391 times
I mentioned I walk my dog on the beach...oh, like once a week at most; sometimes not for a month. And yes, I clean up after him. And he is tiny and doesn't make much of a mess . Plus, I take him there only at times it is not crowded....like a weekday morning.

I actually don't think they should allow dogs when it's busy, like on weekends.

I think part of the problem at Micklers is they only put trash cans at the parking lot (unlike Jax beach where they are on the beach at every entry point). They should have a sign about "Pack In, Pack out" so people know that is the expectation and bring something to put trash in. I think they could make some signs like that for Micklers and Guana.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:32 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
I haven't been to Micklers on the weekend for years. I'm amazed by how many won't drive an exta 5-10 minutes down A1A and go to Guana or the access by the gas station. I've seen Micklers packed to the stop light and then hardly anyone at those places.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:36 AM

140 posts, read 168,141 times
Every good dog owner should know their dogs poop schedule.... Whenever I have to take my dog with me to the beach I walk her in my neighborhood first like I do every morning... then I go to the beach with her and I bring some bags with me just in case something happens... I hate seeing dog poop in the beach too.... you are walking there barefeet and dog poop transmit diseases...

I already had a bad experience in Jax beach since I moved here. It was around 9.00 pm and i was walking my dog on the street with lots of bars... there was some black folks hanging out in front of a bar and they had a very aggressive pitbull.... When it saw me and my dog it started getting really aggressive, barking and growling and all that... I got attacked by a pitbull before so I hate seeing one that gets crazy like that... Anyways I changed my way and tried to get away from them... what bothered me was the owner didn't do anything to calm the dog down ... He kind of encouraged it which made me sick... People like this needs to get a ticket... Why showing off with a pitbull in a beach neighborhood that supposed to bring peace and relaxation to people ?? I started going to Jax beach less after that... You are walking your dog quietly & minding your own business in a beach town with million dollar condos in front of you but still dealing with ratchetness... it's sad... btw my dog is a jack Russell and greyhound mix, a very loving and playful dog. We were de.f not a threat to that pitbull and it's owner or anyone else in that neighborhood...Smh

Old 06-09-2016, 10:11 AM

9,401 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
I haven't been to Micklers on the weekend for years. I'm amazed by how many won't drive an exta 5-10 minutes down A1A and go to Guana or the access by the gas station. I've seen Micklers packed to the stop light and then hardly anyone at those places.
I think people go there as it's sort of the main entrypoint from the neighborhoods west of there - Nocatee, Palencia......all of the Phillips Highway, Bartram and CR 210 neighborhoods.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:54 AM

137 posts, read 177,240 times
People the beaches don't get that crowded! Sure during the late spring/summer on the weekends and summer vacation they are packed but during the rest of the year they are uncrowded and wonderful. And they are nothing like the resort towns up north. Here if you are willing to walk a bit you can find a nice secluded bit of sand.

They do need trash cans on the beach! For both immediate trash disposal and for those of us who pick up washed up stuff/left behinds.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:57 AM

9,401 posts, read 8,369,560 times
They are indeed crowded near the entry-points, which for most of the beaches is where the only bathroom facilities are located. So unless you have the ability to hold it or want to pee in the water, most people congregate around those locations. Yes you can walk for some space but heaven help you if you have kids and someone has to go #2!

Old 06-09-2016, 11:49 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,790,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmom2011 View Post

They do need trash cans on the beach! For both immediate trash disposal and for those of us who pick up washed up stuff/left behinds.
Good point...I've picked up trash also and had no where to put it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville