Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 10,605 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I currently live in Atlanta, GA (Stone Mountain) and I’m looking to buy a 2nd property/vacation home in Jacksonville, FL. My dilemma? I’m totally confused about whether I want a singe family home, townhouse or condo. I’m 33, single, professional, no kids (don’t want any either) and I prefer upscale living. I enjoy my SFR here in Atlanta, but that is a totally different environment than Florida. I’ve read some nightmarish reports about builders and new communities and I have no idea which where to go with my thought process. On the one hand, I don’t want the hassle of dealing with mowing lawns but on the other hand I don’t want to be stunned by out of control HOA fees. I plan to keep this 2nd home for a very long time, but want to be in a position to sell it for fair market value as a worst case scenario if I fall on hard times .

More than likely I’ll be traveling to JAX about twice per month as a part-time resident (purely for pleasure). Definitely looking for something between $150-200K and at least 2BR/2BA (would prefer 3BR) in an upscale community. For all the JAX locals out there, am I dreaming or is this possible ? If the latter, which JAX areas should I concentrate my search efforts?

Sorry for the rambling….any advice or suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 PM

Oops, it would probably be helpful for me to add that I would like to be close to the beach, shopping, and nightlife....Hope this helps!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:57 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
if you want upscale and near the beach, right off the bat I'd say double your projected budget.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:35 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbainhr99 View Post
Oops, it would probably be helpful for me to add that I would like to be close to the beach, shopping, and nightlife....Hope this helps!
Actually for around the $200-$220k range I can suggest "The Islands at Ponte Vedra Beach" they are patio homes. The monthly assoc. fee was very reasonable and it includes lawn mowing. We lived there for 4 years and loved it. Your about 8 blocks from the beach and about 15 mins from Jax Beach night life.
You could go "inland" 12 miles to the 9A/Baymeadows area and find townhouses or Condos easily in your range. The assoc fees are probably around $200 a month.
Let me know if you want me to give you some of the condos and townhouse names

karla

Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 AM

mbainhr99,

Maybe you can give us some specifics on what you are looking for when you say "upscale"?

Old 04-26-2007, 10:14 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbainhr99 View Post
Hi everyone! I currently live in Atlanta, GA (Stone Mountain) and I’m looking to buy a 2nd property/vacation home in Jacksonville, FL. My dilemma? I’m totally confused about whether I want a singe family home, townhouse or condo. I’m 33, single, professional, no kids (don’t want any either) and I prefer upscale living. I enjoy my SFR here in Atlanta, but that is a totally different environment than Florida. I’ve read some nightmarish reports about builders and new communities and I have no idea which where to go with my thought process. On the one hand, I don’t want the hassle of dealing with mowing lawns but on the other hand I don’t want to be stunned by out of control HOA fees. I plan to keep this 2nd home for a very long time, but want to be in a position to sell it for fair market value as a worst case scenario if I fall on hard times .

More than likely I’ll be traveling to JAX about twice per month as a part-time resident (purely for pleasure). Definitely looking for something between $150-200K and at least 2BR/2BA (would prefer 3BR) in an upscale community. For all the JAX locals out there, am I dreaming or is this possible ? If the latter, which JAX areas should I concentrate my search efforts?

Sorry for the rambling….any advice or suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Dude, 150k to 200k won't get you a Single Fam home east of the river and 15 minutes from the bch in a "upscale" area. 150k will barely get you a single fam home in SW Jax in a development that is only 10 yrs old and is middle class. That was a year ago and it's not Oakleaf but Argyle. Ask my sister. Try that this year and you'll be out of luck. You may be able to and I do stress may be able to get a "condo" for about 180k over near the beaches but I doubt it. Especially when "condos" and townhomes in Oakleaf, which is in SW Duval/NW Clay County, are going for more than 180k. And these "condos" aren't your typical mid-rise to high-rise varieties. There more like very nice 4 story apt complex type buildings with private breeze ways and 1 to 2 elevators per building. A townhome in the beaches area will probably go for about the same. If you want a single fam home that close to the bch in an upscale development, try raising your top-end limit by another 200k. If you want a townhome you can probably get into one somewhere near 9A close to St Johns Town Center but once again you'll be at your top end or over.

St Johns Town Center also has some townhomes near it, Georgetown I believe. They have a website http://www.sedaconstruction.com/comm...Georgetown.php. Like I said friend, you look on that website and it says that those townhomes are mid 200s. So you're really looking at upper 200s low 300s for those townhomes. Update: the bottom of the website saids that they're going for upper 200s.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:43 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Dude, 150k to 200k won't get you a Single Fam home east of the river and 15 minutes from the bch in a "upscale" area. 150k will barely get you a single fam home in SW Jax in a development that is only 10 yrs old and is middle class. That was a year ago and it's not Oakleaf but Argyle. Ask my sister. Try that this year and you'll be out of luck. You may be able to and I do stress may be able to get a "condo" for about 180k over near the beaches but I doubt it. Especially when "condos" and townhomes in Oakleaf, which is in SW Duval/NW Clay County, are going for more than 180k. And these "condos" aren't your typical mid-rise to high-rise varieties. There more like very nice 4 story apt complex type buildings with private breeze ways and 1 to 2 elevators per building. A townhome in the beaches area will probably go for about the same. If you want a single fam home that close to the bch in an upscale development, try raising your top-end limit by another 200k. If you want a townhome you can probably get into one somewhere near 9A close to St Johns Town Center but once again you'll be at your top end or over.

St Johns Town Center also has some townhomes near it, Georgetown I believe. They have a website http://www.sedaconstruction.com/comm...Georgetown.php. Like I said friend, you look on that website and it says that those townhomes are mid 200s. So you're really looking at upper 200s low 300s for those townhomes. Update: the bottom of the website saids that they're going for upper 200s.
I respectfuly disagree with you, there are some condos near Mayo that can be had for 150-200k range, and there are inexpensive units around the beaches.
I suggest the guy looking try the MLS via www.nefmls.com , he can search by price, by type of unit or by area.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:50 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
I respectfuly disagree with you, there are some condos near Mayo that can be had for 150-200k range, and there are inexpensive units around the beaches.
I suggest the guy looking try the MLS via www.nefmls.com , he can search by price, by type of unit or by area.
Ok. I just said that the "condos" would be at the top of his range.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:32 AM

Expectations have risen so much for homebuyers...what is "upscale"?

Yesterday's upscale was 10 foot ceilings and a garden tub, today's upscale is 12 or 14 foot ceilings with every square inch covered in granite or travertine...

$150-$200k doesn't buy today's upscale, it barely buys yesterday's. So we'll probably need the OP's definition of the word.

What was it that George said on Seinfeld about velvet? That 'if it was socially acceptable' he would be 'ensconced in velvet'......Now that's luxury!

Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM

Thanks to all of you for all the great advice and recommendations!

BTW, I'm a lady, not a dude LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: