Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 07:02 AM

6,466 posts, read 5,057,507 times

Advertisements

We recently spent 3 weeks in Jacksonville and pretty much saw everything from St Augustine to Amelia Island. We avoided the sketchy areas and saw the daily crimes on TV. 39 Homicides and counting this year (2016). I was wondering do these people go to the beach and spread crime there as well? The beaches are public and anyone can go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 07:23 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,605,711 times
Yes - some trouble makers do go to the beach. JAX Beach seems to have the most problems:

Jacksonville Beach police called to several fights, disturbances on St. Patrick's Day | WJAX-TV

But I suspect that's because it's the largest beach area with the most parking (and it has a lot of bars as well). Robyn

Old 05-16-2016, 05:32 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,784,563 times
The beaches here are quite safe compared to some other beaches around the state. I live nearby and walk/bike in the neighborhoods/beach areas for exercise regularly and have never felt unsafe. I know some people complain but there are really only a few blocks of bar area and other than that is really not that crowded.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:59 PM

9,518 posts, read 8,573,837 times
Another crime thread, really? Lol.

I sure hope I don't turn into such a paranoid senior citizen. It must be terrible.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:38 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,947,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Another crime thread, really? Lol.

I sure hope I don't turn into such a paranoid senior citizen. It must be terrible.
I can't blame people too much for asking. To people not from the area, they describe Jacksonville like it's the Wild West or a battlefield or something. There's people that would have you believe that Jacksonville is on par with Camden New Jersey. Even people I knew before I moved here. ''You know, Jacksonville is supposed to be very bad you know. I hear they have a lot of crime there''

The most crime I come into contact with in my everyday life (outside of traffic violations) are people asking me if I wanna buy some weed from them or know if I have any to sell haha. Don't ask me why, I've never smoked in my life and somehow I give off a stoner vibe.

I'm not saying I'd leave my door unlocked when I'm gone or at night here, I wouldn't do that anywhere though. But I'll walk around, at all hours of the night. I pretty much know the areas to stay out. But there is a huge misinterpretation from outsiders that Jacksonville is this city where you need like a bulletproof vehicle just to drive around. I've lived in Denver (though this was 23-27 years ago), and North Jersey/South Jersey and San Diego are and the LA area all in the last 6 or 7 years, along with Jacksonville. I haven't felt any less safe here than where I was at in those respective areas. Though all of them have their bad parts too.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Yes - some trouble makers do go to the beach. JAX Beach seems to have the most problems:

Jacksonville Beach police called to several fights, disturbances on St. Patrick's Day | WJAX-TV

But I suspect that's because it's the largest beach area with the most parking (and it has a lot of bars as well). Robyn
Bar fights do not equate to "crime". OP in his paranoia is worried about crime affecting him. Jax Beach definitely has it's share of vagrants, as do most larger beach communities (Daytona, anyone?); however, there is ample police presence and assuming you're not out strolling the back alleys at 3am by yourself, drunk, again you'll be juuuuuuuuuust fine (patting you on the head).

Old 05-17-2016, 08:20 AM

6,466 posts, read 5,057,507 times
Why do you persist in calling me paranoid? I live in Buffalo and Bogota, 2 of the less safe cities in the world. I am used to crime. I am looking for a safer city than I currently reside in. I was unaware when we began our search for a new warmer area to move to that Jacksonville has such a large crime problem. I realize we can reside in a safe area like PVB or in a gated community but you can't live your life sequestered away. You want to be able to see the city and do things without fearing for your life. Here is an analogy for you. When people ask me if Buffalo is safe I reply "if you live here and know the areas to avoid, its fine", "But if you are a tourist or just moving here it can be dangerous".

Old 05-17-2016, 10:29 AM

You created two threads within a matter of hours relating to crime in Jax. You just said you believe Jax has a widespread crime problem, it does not.
Quote:
I was unaware when we began our search for a new warmer area to move to that Jacksonville has such a large crime problem
It's not even in the top 20 for violent crimes per capita:

By the numbers: Here are the 20 ‘most dangerous’ cities in America | FOX31 Denver

Or murders per capita:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Or top 100 most dangerous cities:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

What else can I help clear up for you?

Last edited by Yac; 05-25-2016 at 06:20 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 12:08 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,196,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Why do you persist in calling me paranoid? I live in Buffalo and Bogota, 2 of the less safe cities in the world. I am used to crime. I am looking for a safer city than I currently reside in. I was unaware when we began our search for a new warmer area to move to that Jacksonville has such a large crime problem. I realize we can reside in a safe area like PVB or in a gated community but you can't live your life sequestered away. You want to be able to see the city and do things without fearing for your life. Here is an analogy for you. When people ask me if Buffalo is safe I reply "if you live here and know the areas to avoid, its fine", "But if you are a tourist or just moving here it can be dangerous".
When we first moved here, I was told to avoid areas north of I-10 and west of I-95 (ie. northwest quadrant of Jacksonville). There's nothing to see or do in that area so I really can't see you or anyone specifically planning a trip there.

Like I wrote in your crime thread, I live in PVB and don't feel as though I'm living my life sequestered away. Not in the least bit. I'm not in a gated community and literally live 2 minutes by car from Mickler's Beach (public beach). Our goal was to be near the beach in a warmer climate so for us, it doesn't get much better than this. We go to St. Augustine at least once a month and also frequent museums and restaurants in Jacksonville, Jax Beach, Atlantic Beach etc.. I've never not once felt unsafe to be in any of those places.

Having said all that, I do understand where you're coming from. It's a big move and we also wondered about the crime/safety of the areas in and around Jax but after having visited our in-laws in PVB several times in the past 3 years, we really felt comfortable and ultimately made the move.

Good luck with your decision. Hope it works out for you wherever you go.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:39 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,757,747 times
JAX is no different from any other metropolitan area, regarding Jax Beach....given I have only lived here a few months so what do I know but I have not experienced any trouble although I suppose some nut could go onto to the beach hell bent on causing trouble for innocent beachgoers. Seems to me people around this area are much happier then those in the north, guess it's all the cold and snow. Relax and enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville