Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:30 AM

38 posts, read 91,086 times

Advertisements

Flakey Jakes on 82nd St-loved the burgers
Roselyn Bakery was definitely a classic
Mr. Dan's Hamburgers
Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor in Castleton Mall
Rax Roast Beef
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:35 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
I thought I heard on radio this morning that Mr. Dan's is coming back. Wonder if it is the same one???

Old 06-29-2010, 11:47 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
For those interested in Mr. Dans:

Mr. Dan's Coming Back to Indiana - Newsroom - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick

Old 06-29-2010, 11:43 PM
REM

368 posts, read 995,260 times
There's a Mr. Dans off sheadland.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 26,158 times
Default Former West sider

The Razz Ma Tazz (34th and High School Rd)
Merritt's pizza (across from the 500 track)

Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 AM

990 posts, read 1,726,284 times
Anyone from the eastside around post and 10th remember Shaws drugstore the A&P Bells drugstore Moores Market? Washington and Post- the Pizza Barn, Blue and White truck stop,Bargin Barn,Walts grocery store further west on Washington???

Old 09-11-2010, 09:00 AM

43 posts, read 127,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
House of Blue Lights
Where was that anyway? I grew up in Lawerence ( Shadeland and Meadowview across from USA Skates and the tennis courts. My mom worked at Magic Mart that was there too) in the 70s. I remember hearing stories from school ( Brookpark Elementary) and we always THOUGHT it was a house off of 56th but never really knew.

I remember going to the drive in on Pendleton Pike. Grandma would fill up a big brown paper bag full of popcorn to "smuggle" in... I miss those days. I also remember SkateLand a bit further down Pendleton Pike. We had school skate parties there a lot.

My favorite childhoold memory though. There used to be a little market on Shadeland just north of the R/R overpass north of 38th. They had ice cream cones for $.15 I think. My grandma took me almost every day in the summer to get a cone. On Tuesdays and Thursdays we would get my cone and head to Greenfield ( where I was born) for free swim days at the park.

Grandma is long gone now but she was a MAJOR part of my childhood.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:01 AM

43 posts, read 127,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmr1ml View Post
Anyone from the eastside around post and 10th remember Shaws drugstore the A&P Bells drugstore Moores Market? Washington and Post- the Pizza Barn, Blue and White truck stop,Bargin Barn,Walts grocery store further west on Washington???
I remember Blue and White. I seem to recall one in Monrovia just off of 70 too.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 16,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadci View Post
Where was that anyway? I grew up in Lawerence ( Shadeland and Meadowview across from USA Skates and the tennis courts. My mom worked at Magic Mart that was there too) in the 70s. I remember hearing stories from school ( Brookpark Elementary) and we always THOUGHT it was a house off of 56th but never really knew.

I remember going to the drive in on Pendleton Pike. Grandma would fill up a big brown paper bag full of popcorn to "smuggle" in... I miss those days. I also remember SkateLand a bit further down Pendleton Pike. We had school skate parties there a lot.

My favorite childhoold memory though. There used to be a little market on Shadeland just north of the R/R overpass north of 38th. They had ice cream cones for $.15 I think. My grandma took me almost every day in the summer to get a cone. On Tuesdays and Thursdays we would get my cone and head to Greenfield ( where I was born) for free swim days at the park.

Grandma is long gone now but she was a MAJOR part of my childhood.

I grew up around Ft. Harrison. House of Blue Lights was in the woods betw. Avalon Hills and Skiles Test - there was a grown-over driveway off Fall Creek Rd. stretching up the hill through the trees. You'd park part way up and hoof it up. We used to go to there occasionally and get run out by whoever lived there, caretakers maybe. It looked abandoned and there was an old derelict swimming pool with a couple of decaying diving boards and a dilapidated poolhouse and further up a main house kind of modern looking in a Frank Lloyd Wright-ish way - looked like it was all pretty swank at one time, like a Hollywood set, but was pretty spooky by then.

as kids, we used to sneak onto the Fort from Boy Scout Road woods and ride our Huffy bikes down the jeep trails through the creeks and stuff, sort of the first mountain bikers. later in high school we'd sneak on the Fort golf course at night - in winter and xc ski those hills and get chased off by the MPs, in summer we'd drive the golf carts around and get chased by the MPs but we knew the woods better than they did so we always got away. also had many a wild party back in those woods. little did the Feds know...

also :

• Pearson's Platters at Devington
• Woolen's Gardens
• the Shadeland Drive-In theater
• Wayside Furniture (little league team)
• the Triangle Market
• the Lawrence Journal
• Lawrence Central looked like the USS Enterprise from Star Trek when it was first built
• North Eastway golf course and pool
• used to go shopping at Wasson's in Eastgate
• the Coliseum - saw Tull, the Dead, and Zappa there, among others.
• "Mushroom" Square Arena - at least that's what I called it after a particular Dead concert there...
• Matthew's Bicycle Shop on the Pike
• speaking of bikes, the Circle City Criterium and Tour of Brookside Park
• the King's Kup, also on the Pike (went there after little league games)
• the train engine at Broad Ripple Park
• saw some good shows at the Vogue and Patio in BR too
• Glendale Mall, the way it was then, is still my all-time favorite mall

speaking of malls, I remember as a kid going in the family car to Castleton, which was just a whistlestop then, on Road 100 (aka Shadeland) and there was a horse ranch with a long white wooden fence along the road. I think there was a place called Kiddieland up there where you could ride horses.

definitely there are worse places to grow up, at least I had a good time in Indy. I hear it's all changed, sprawl and all that, and the army base is a state park or something now. out here on the west coast people don't even know where Indianapolis is. they think it's in India.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:37 AM

990 posts, read 1,726,284 times
We went and checked out the House of Blue Lights once-it was kinda creepy there was a swimming pool and we walked around inside the house-looked like it once was a really nice place-we parked on the road and went up a drive I remember my boyfriend(now my husband) didn't see the chain across the drive and tripped and fell.The rest of us thought that was funny -he didn't!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis