Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 2,818 times

Advertisements

Hal Fryar used the stage name Harlow Hickenlooper so NO - they are not related.

I met him several times and he was always the nicest guy in the world - I grew up with him on channel 6 hosting the 3 stodges. I have a signed picture of him w/me when I was about 8 or 9 - I also have a signed one with my daughter at one of his last public appearances at Harlow.

He had Soupy Sales on his show fairly often.

He died 2 or 3 years ago at 90 in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 2,796 times
Hey all, Lived on the 3400 block of north Drexel Ave from 1949 to 1962, Attended PS 71.Does anyone remember a restaurant downtown on the west side of Pennsylvania, between Washington and Market?
I think it was originally called The Downey Dunker, but the name changed to Troy's sometime in the 50s.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 2,796 times
Default Troy's Restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingdeer View Post
a couple more things not mentioned Troy's restaurant (my Mom worked there for years!!) on the corner of Penn st & Market st, there was a nut shop and a candy store (boxed candy like Fannie May maybe??) that where connected via a walk through, but each store also had it's own street entrance on Penn st before you got to the Roselyn Bakery at the corner of Penn st and E Washington st. Another favorite memory was the huge slide at Willard park on E Washington st just past State st.!!!! Loved that slide-I think they took it down in the mid 70's because some kids got hurt falling from the top- it was sorta like a jungle gym type slide.
My Dad was the Manager of Troy's and before, when it was named The Downey Dunker, from about
1947 to 1962. Spent a lot of time downtown. Used to watch the 500 Parade from the upstairs storage
rooms for the restaurant. Best seats of all!

Old 07-28-2020, 01:41 PM

44 posts, read 258,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
For what it's worth, Linder's was a local chain, so there were locations all over the metro area.

RM
Was it Linder's or Lindner's? I seem to remember the one behind McCord's Pharmacy at 21st & Emerson was Lindner's.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:04 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
Was it Linder's or Lindner's? I seem to remember the one behind McCord's Pharmacy at 21st & Emerson was Lindner's.
You are correct, it was Lindner's.

RM

Old 08-15-2020, 01:22 PM

44 posts, read 258,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
You are correct, it was Lindner's.

RM
Thank you. My memory is a little sketchy sometimes, so I just wanted to confirm.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:30 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
Thank you. My memory is a little sketchy sometimes, so I just wanted to confirm.
Welcome to getting old(er).

RM

Old 08-29-2020, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 929 times
In the 70's there was a speed shop at 5437 West Washington. The building now houses a business called Auto Appeal.

There was another one on the South Side not far from the original Steak & Shake on 31.

Does anyone recall the name of that speed shop? It is driving me crazy trying to remember it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis