Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 08:12 AM

44 posts, read 258,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I don't recall the Frisch's, although when I was younger we lived in Cincinnati and they had them there, but your comments did remind me of the Hume-Mansur Building and going to an ear doctor there.

RM
The Frisch's was on the northwest corner of the intersection of North Meridian Street and Ohio Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 03:25 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
The Frisch's was on the northwest corner of the intersection of North Meridian Street and Ohio Street.
Hmm. That probably predates me, at least much of my recognizing downtown things.

I had relatives that were some of the original residents of the Piccadilly at 16th and Pennsylvania. I can remember walking over to Herron when it was just a museum, and the neighborhood being really, really sketchy....

With that in mind does anyone recall the Hawthorne Room, which was at 16th and Meridian? (I think.)

RM

Old 11-09-2013, 03:30 PM

44 posts, read 258,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Hmm. That probably predates me, at least much of my recognizing downtown things.

I had relatives that were some of the original residents of the Piccadilly at 16th and Pennsylvania. I can remember walking over to Herron when it was just a museum, and the neighborhood being really, really sketchy....

With that in mind does anyone recall the Hawthorne Room, which was at 16th and Meridian? (I think.)

RM

Well, I probably predate a lot of the forum members. Hahaha!!!

Old 12-21-2013, 04:00 PM

6 posts, read 31,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmr1ml View Post
Anyone from the eastside around post and 10th remember Shaws drugstore the A&P Bells drugstore Moores Market? Washington and Post- the Pizza Barn, Blue and White truck stop,Bargin Barn,Walts grocery store further west on Washington???
Bargain Barn became Liberty Bell about 1970. Blue and White was a chain. I think there were about 8 of them in the Indianapolis Area. There was an A&P on Pendelton Pike in the Esquire Plaza in Lawrence and another one on English near Brookville Rd.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
There was also one on East Washington at Audubon in Irvington. I think Frisch's closed in Indianapolis in the late 1960's.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manco219 View Post

• Pearson's Platters at Devington
• Woolen's Gardens
• the Shadeland Drive-In theater
• Wayside Furniture (little league team)
• the Triangle Market
• the Lawrence Journal
• Lawrence Central looked like the USS Enterprise from Star Trek when it was first built
• North Eastway golf course and pool
• used to go shopping at Wasson's in Eastgate
• the Coliseum - saw Tull, the Dead, and Zappa there, among others.
• "Mushroom" Square Arena - at least that's what I called it after a particular Dead concert there...
• Matthew's Bicycle Shop on the Pike
• speaking of bikes, the Circle City Criterium and Tour of Brookside Park
• the King's Kup, also on the Pike (went there after little league games)
• the train engine at Broad Ripple Park
• saw some good shows at the Vogue and Patio in BR too
• Glendale Mall, the way it was then, is still my all-time favorite mall

speaking of malls, I remember as a kid going in the family car to Castleton, which was just a whistlestop then, on Road 100 (aka Shadeland) and there was a horse ranch with a long white wooden fence along the road. I think there was a place called Kiddieland up there where you could ride horses.
We're on the same wave length here.
Pearson's yup

Woolen's Gardens- It's still there. I think the city discourages it's use because the home owners on Brendon Forest Drive don't want the traffic and there is only street parking and an easement to access the park. Some group had the right to build a meeting house and they did in about 1975 over objections of the neighbours and then it burned to the ground not too long after it was built. Does that sound suspicious to you? There was access off of Shadeland from a road that ran under the 465 Fall Creek Bridge. That has been closed for decades. Currently the Parks Department has a plan to build a pedestrian suspension bridge over Fall Creek from the park on the north side of the creek. If you want to risk the stares of the locals the easement from Brendon Forest Dr. is to the east side of the house farthest to the east.

Lawrence Central did look a lot cooler before all the additions.

It will always be North Eastway to me. Sahm-it!

• the train engine at Broad Ripple Park- That is Nickle Plate 587 and the Indiana Transportation Museum took it and restored it to operation for a while. It needed a boiler overhaul which was started in 2003 but has been stalled for the need of funding. It's in the museum at the park in Nobelsville.

Wasson's, Blocks, Penny's and Sears made Eastgate.

Kiddy Land was what they called the micro sized amusement park at Eastgate. It was at the north side of the parking lot and was closed sometime in the late 1960's.

The horse ranch was neat because if you watched the fence as you road along it would give a funny visual effect as the crossed center boards moved through your field of vision. I think that was Castle Gate Farm and it was real nice until they bulldozed it for Community Hospital North.

Across the highway from the horse farm was Hillsdale Nursery. They had a big event called the "Rose Festival" each year and it was quite an honor to be named the "Rose Queen" as some lovely young lady would always be. The Boy Scout Band would always play at the festival. My brother was in the band. I know that this went on thru the late 1970's.

Does anyone remember the horse stables located 56th and Emerson? They were just west of Emerson. In the late 1960's it was not unusual to see people riding along Kessler and east onto Fall Creek Parkway. I recall horses there into the middle 1970's. I think the people in Brendon Woods would board horses there.

My Jr. HS choir sang at "Mushroom" Square Arena's dedication ceremony. It made me feel so old when they tore it down.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmr1ml View Post
Loved Burger Chef-lived very close to the one on east Washington west of Post Rd-anyone remember Kings restaurant -you used a phone at the booths to order-it was located in Irvington on Washington street.
That was at Audubon and Washington. Was a Frisch's Big Boy before it was King's.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
My parents and I frequently went to the Dog 'n Suds near East Raymond and South Sherman on Saturday nights before going to whatever that nearby racetrack was that always ended with a demolition derby and a figure 8 race. Does anyone remember the name of that racetrack? I think it was on South Kitley or something like that. Is it still there? If not, what IS there now?
The Speedrome and it's still there.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdr727 View Post
I lived on Eastbourne Drive from 1957 to 1967. Went to Brookpark Elementary. Dad worked at Western Electric on Shadeland. I remember seeing a bunch of movies as a kid at the Shadeland Drive in Theatre. Devington shopping center was around the corner. We lived down the street from the founder of prestons supermarket.
I went to third grade with a Preston grand daughter, I think her name was Suzi, or maybe Sally. Do you remember the round barn where they split Shadeland and sent the north bound lanes to the other side of the I-465 construction? They built "The Loft" restaurant there after it was torn down.

You would also be old enough to remember the barn which was north of Brookpark. It was burned down by the fire brigade in summer of 1967. I had just moved into the area and saw it burn before I could explore it. Felt cheated! That was where they built Huntington Green Apartments about 1972.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 18,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp77 View Post
I grew up on the westside, near Speedway...Chapel Hill. My family lived there from the late 70's until 2002'ish.... Here are some things I remember, growing up there (that are no longer there).
1. the BMX track behind Westlake Elementary School
2. Rax Roast Beef
2. Linder's
3. Bill's Fabulous 50's
4. A & P grocery store
5. Hook's Drugs
6. Silhouette (work out place for women)
7. The Flea Market on West Washington St.
8. Stingray's
9. Target on West Washington
10. Pondarosa
11. The baseball card shop at 10th and Girls School
12. The trails between Chapel Wood Elementary and Farley
13. WESTWOOD COUNTRY CLUB (ohhh the memories) -it's sad how that turned out
14. MELODY SKATELAND (oh I miss this place)
15. Ok, this is not westside Indy, but I loved Thunder Island in Westfield
16. the Noble Romans on 10th and Girls School is still there...and remains the best, but I miss how they showed the old silent movies...I had a birthday party there when I was little and we got to go in the kitchen and make pizzas. Way cool.
17. Fulton Jr. High
18. I forget what it was called, but there use to be a lazer tag place across the street from Fulton that also had other games.
19. the Aquarium store in Speedway
20. the pet store in Speedway, Animal Adventures, that had a monkey and a talking bird that would cuss you out.
21. The Speedway Pet Shop
22. a bait shop that was in Haughville, if I remember right, that my dad use to take us to
23. Roselyn's Bakery
24. The Golden Horseshoe (never went there)
25. Abbott's Pizza on West Washington...loved it
26. Triangle Tavern (Rockville and Wash.)
27. Clermont Drive-In (cannot believe it's gone)
28. Harley's in Brownsburg
29. The Omlette Shoppe on West Washington (RIP Amanda, love you and miss you)
30. Trailer City (trailer park on West Washington near ATA)
31. the Hobby store in Bridgeport (assuming it's not there)
32. Black Hebart Lumber
33. Bush Stadium
34. Speedway movie theater...lots of fun memories of RHPS
35. Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips
36. Poppe shop
37. Wonderbread store
38. The Roost (lol, sorry)
39. Great Skates in Avon
40. Chi-Chi's

I could go on and on. I don't have that much time.
Funny, I remember at least half of your list, we remember a lot of the same things....perhaps we grew up in the same time frame. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis