Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Indianapolis?
been there loved IT!! 117 38.87%
been there it was okay 126 41.86%
been there and would never go BACK! 58 19.27%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 PM

644 posts, read 1,020,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
reisooh - nice post... however, while I too have enjoyed many a days and nights at such events, I don't see that I could or would want to live there - its not a SF, Chicago, StL, Boston, etc. Yea, alot of that is due to size, but still, I dunno, just seems "flat", both in topography and in atmosphere. Not that much "richness" or history, at least that I've been exposed to - if such exists, please, no offense, but share where such can be seen Anyhow, while wouldn't foresee living there, its a good city, enjoy it, like to visit.
I'm sorry for the necro-post but why did you throw STL in with those cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 04:21 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,108,839 times
From an outsider looking in Indianapolis has a great network of highways
which is good for business

i love the idea of 465 encircling your metro area
i have visited the outdoor settlement north of indy several years ago and thought it was very very nice and educational very unique

have heard wonderful reviews of the childrens museum
i have also heard your city has good medical facilities

since i am from illinois the flatness of indy does not bother me at all and i think it makes in for a better city plan anyway

seems like a great place to me plan on going to the war memeorial in a few weeks and looking forward to seeing the downtown indy area and what it has to offer certainly will have a better opinion of the city after my adventure to the war memorial which i am looking forward to

Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,519,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
From an outsider looking in Indianapolis has a great network of highways
which is good for business

i love the idea of 465 encircling your metro area
i have visited the outdoor settlement north of indy several years ago and thought it was very very nice and educational very unique

have heard wonderful reviews of the childrens museum
i have also heard your city has good medical facilities

since i am from illinois the flatness of indy does not bother me at all and i think it makes in for a better city plan anyway

seems like a great place to me plan on going to the war memeorial in a few weeks and looking forward to seeing the downtown indy area and what it has to offer certainly will have a better opinion of the city after my adventure to the war memorial which i am looking forward to
actually we have more than just good medical facilities because of IUPUI. Indianapolis was ranked one of the best places in America to retire too because of those medical establishments like IUPUI.

Edit: Meaning we have a national recognition for when it comes to our medical field which is good

Old 07-21-2011, 04:46 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,108,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
actually we have more than just good medical facilities because of IUPUI. Indianapolis was ranked one of the best places in America to retire too because of those medical establishments like IUPUI.

Edit: Meaning we have a national recognition for when it comes to our medical field which is good
exltnt point! i have googled the medical fields in indy and they are top notch
another bonus for indy!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
exltnt point! i have googled the medical fields in indy and they are top notch
another bonus for indy!
Speaking of Medical fields since Wishard is moving into a new Hospital i believe the old hospital is being torn down (Maybe another hospital correct me if i am wrong)

Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 AM

25 posts, read 46,594 times
I have never been to Indy but my husband has. He said it was great and that was when he was 17. He's 31 now. We are making a trip for an extended weekend next summer to make 100 percent sure that is where we want to live. From the pictures I looked at from various sites, Indy looks like the perfect city for me. It isn't overwhelming like NYC and Chicago. It isn't underwhelming like my hometown in South Carolina and where I currently live (Petoskey, MI). Being flat and landlocked would not bother me whatsoever. Finding stuff to do will not be a problem for me either, since I like to explore.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,444 times
Default Many reasons...

Indianapolis is great because whether you're seeking fast pace of the big city or the quiet solitude of a Midwestern Town,it has exactly what you are looking for. It is a wonderful city and property prices are considered to be the most affordable in the nation.

Here are few cities and towns of Central Indiana that have been nominated for national awards.

Indianapolis and Fishers for the best place to retire by US News Noblesville as the Cheapest Place to Retire by Sperlings Best
Noblesville was also nominated as an All American City
Indianapolis-Carmel as Best Cities to Relocate to by Sperlings
Brownsburg, Fishers and Carmel have all been recognized as the best place to live in America by CNN Money
Hamilton County was voted as one of the best places to raise a family by Forbes.
Zionsville and Fishers have both been named as most affordable Suburbs in America by Newsweek
Westfield and Noblesville in Hamilton County, as well as Brownsburg and Plainfield in Hendricks County - 2011 Best Places to Live by CNN - Americas Small Towns

We have to admit , we love it here!

HomeToIndy Team

Old 10-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeToIndy View Post
Indianapolis is great because whether you're seeking fast pace of the big city or the quiet solitude of a Midwestern Town,it has exactly what you are looking for. It is a wonderful city and property prices are considered to be the most affordable in the nation.

Here are few cities and towns of Central Indiana that have been nominated for national awards.

Indianapolis and Fishers for the best place to retire by US News Noblesville as the Cheapest Place to Retire by Sperlings Best
Noblesville was also nominated as an All American City
Indianapolis-Carmel as Best Cities to Relocate to by Sperlings
Brownsburg, Fishers and Carmel have all been recognized as the best place to live in America by CNN Money
Hamilton County was voted as one of the best places to raise a family by Forbes.
Zionsville and Fishers have both been named as most affordable Suburbs in America by Newsweek
Westfield and Noblesville in Hamilton County, as well as Brownsburg and Plainfield in Hendricks County - 2011 Best Places to Live by CNN - Americas Small Towns

We have to admit , we love it here!

HomeToIndy Team
This
Hence why i recommend my friends etc to move to Indy.
Really there is NO other city in the World that is a 3 hour drive to the 3rd largest US city. a 2 hour drive to the Kentucky Durbey in Louisville and Cincy/Also Fort Wayne 3-4 Hour Drive to the Massive Air museum in Dayton Ohio and Columbus Ohio and St Louis for the Arch and other stuff. (This list is by no means complete of what each city can offer)
Plus we have an international airport.
Have to say with the modern day world being so connected Indy will contiune to explode in population growth and replace fast growing cities like Las Vegas (Who's boom has turn to Bust).

Also might mention another advantage to being a crossroads is our city is one of the top USA cities for trucking and that means jobs (As long as theres food to deliver you need a truck driver lol) Plus our Low Cost of living/taxes. Since Indy is the fastest growing region in the midwest i could probably add to the great things we have in the future

Old 04-24-2013, 05:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,194 times
Not that Indy should be compared to cities like L.A., Chicago, and N.Y., above all the aforementioned reasons why Indianapolis is so great such as cost of living, hospitals, etc. the biggest thing to set itself apart from larger cities such as L.A., Chicago, N.Y. and a lot of the places I have visited, is the people. The connections (both business and pleasure) will most likely stick with you durring your entire span in the city, whether it is days or years. The sense of community in Indy is second to none. Local businesses work together to grow the community by merging ideas. When you walk into a shop, or restaurant, you are treated as a patron and as someone who is helping out said community and not just someone who is consuming whatever they are selling. That's a feeling that I have seldom come by in L.A. where I live. Also, Indy knows how to party. I mean they celebrate everything there and do it well. Drinks are cheap if you find the local deals (and you will) and if you want it, you can always find a conversation by eves dropping. It's ok, it's welcomed there.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:36 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,275,625 times
This is an old thread but I'll add my two cents.

I grew up in a small city a bit outside of South Bend, so coming the 3 hours to Indianapolis was a big deal. It was a trip into the big city! We came usually a couple times a year, sometimes more. So perhaps being from a small city of 25,000-30,000 people, my opinion of Indy is different. I always loved coming here. The Castleton Mall always felt huge. The restaurants we ate at may have been chain restaurants, but they were restaurants we didn't have anywhere near the South Bend area so that made them more special to us.

I moved down here mainly because the rest of my family did. My sister went to Butler and stayed here. When my first niece was born, my parents moved down here. I was laid off at my job so once I got a job here, I followed them. I love Indy because it is a big city but it doesn't feel like it. Being from a small city, I like that I can drive around Indy and not feel like I'm in a metro of over a million people. I've been to Chicago several times and while I love the city, driving into downtown Chicago gives me nightmares. I love driving into downtown Indianapolis.

Since moving here I've met my wife and we did settle down in the suburbs. I don't have a problem with that because, again, it's reminiscent of where I grew up. There are a lot of chain restaurants but you find that in every city in America. Chicago has a very large selection of chain restaurants as well. And in most cities, you do have to work a bit harder to find the local restaurants, but they exist and it really isn't that hard to find out about them. Chain restaurants are easier to spot because you know exactly what they look like.

I don't really care about the nightlife being in my mid to late 30s. I'm over that phase in my life and with a daughter of my own, I love the time I get to spend at home with her. I look forward to all the things we can do in this city as she gets older, the zoo, the Children's Museum, Conner Prairie. I love going to Colts games but did give up my season tickets when she was born. But my wife and I still love going to the theater, whether it's the Tarkington Civic Theater in Carmel, Clowes at Butler, or the Murat downtown. We go to the Broad Ripple Art Fair every year. Every once in a while we hit up places like Morty's Comedy Joint or the Slippery Noodle. And we've been to the Indianapolis Museum of Art countless times.

The only thing I really yearn for in Indy is better mass transit. I cannot get from my house in Fishers to my job in Carmel without driving myself and on some mornings, I hate that, especially when it's snowy and I wish I could just leave the driving to someone else while I sit back with a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis