Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Indianapolis?
been there loved IT!! 117 38.87%
been there it was okay 126 41.86%
been there and would never go BACK! 58 19.27%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,155,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Two more attacks on the Monon! The summer of hell appears to have finally hit Indy. Starting July 1st, citizens can carry their guns on the Monon. Maybe they should rename it the Rob-on Trail?

Police Investigate 2 More Monon Trail Attacks - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis
Two more attackes does not designate the summer of hell, thats a gross over-reaction dictated by the media as always. The monon is one of the safest trails of its type and in a city of this size to have as few incidents of crime is pretty darn good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 04:13 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,082,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Two more attackes does not designate the summer of hell, thats a gross over-reaction dictated by the media as always. The monon is one of the safest trails of its type and in a city of this size to have as few incidents of crime is pretty darn good.
Then folks in the other areas of the city should be up in arms. They are losing police officers assigned to their neighborhoods because the city wants to put more cops on this trail:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110625/NEWS02/106250327/8-days-3-attacks-How-safe-Monon-Trail-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

As always, we don't get detailed descriptions of the suspects. Don't worry though, the Star made sure to give us a very detailed description of the dog being walked by one of the victims!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:12 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,250,343 times
I'll give my mini-review since I just returned from my first real trip to Indianapolis, other than just driving through a couple times as a kid.

I found the airport to be very nice, easy to get in and out, and obviously the terminal looks fairly new.

I took a cab to my hotel downtown and it seemed very "Midwestern" to me, and similar to my hometown of Kansas City. Flatter than KC, but humid, same vegetation, similar feel. Neighborhoods I could see looked old and not very dense, almost "small-town" like. Even coming into downtown, it seemed to be not very dense for being near downtown. Downtown itself was reasonably nice and I met people to eat out one night. I walked from the hotel to the restaurant and back with no issues. Although downtown has a nice skyline, it felt a little more "small city" to me at the ground level than what I'm used to in downtown Denver. The only negative I saw was that the streets seemed to be in bad condition.

I stayed at the new JW Marriott and it was one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. I'd go back just to stay there again! Beautiful rooms, and I was 31 floors up with great views. The gym was great too. I actually probably will be back for work at some time.

I didn't really get to see much of the city, but overall it felt like a nice, Midwestern city similar to others I've been too. Oh, and one other thing... what's up with all the "In God We Trust" license plates? I go to church, but it's a personal thing for me. This seemed extremely "in your face" Bible-Belty to me. I suppose that was a negative to me, for some reason. And those are some butt-ugly license plates that look fake and like plastic.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:32 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,158,454 times
People are scared of that Monon Trail in the city and understandably so after one man was shot eight (8) times using it to walk home after work at around 4:30 pm. I am not going to rush out to buy a new bike from Mr. Revard at the Bike Line shop near the Monon because I am not anxious to go biking alone along the Monon. The only way I am going biking is with Mayor Greg Ballard taking the point. I figure Ballard is big, wide and chunky enough to catch the first round of bullets.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:36 PM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Oh, and one other thing... what's up with all the "In God We Trust" license plates? I go to church, but it's a personal thing for me. This seemed extremely "in your face" Bible-Belty to me. I suppose that was a negative to me, for some reason. And those are some butt-ugly license plates that look fake and like plastic.
It has been suggested that those plates became very popular as a free alternative to our former standard plate, which was an ugly green plate.

There have also been news stories about criminal types getting that plate because it is free and harder for police to read.

Both are very plausible.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,250,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It has been suggested that those plates became very popular as a free alternative to our former standard plate, which was an ugly green plate.

There have also been news stories about criminal types getting that plate because it is free and harder for police to read.

Both are very plausible.
lol! Maybe people think the cops won't pull them over because they're "good church people".

Old 07-01-2011, 01:06 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,546,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
lol! Maybe people think the cops won't pull them over because they're "good church people".
I would also add that since the state replaced those hideous light green plates with the new plain blue ones, there seems to be less of the IGWT plates on the road.

Some would argue, though, that the IGWT drivers are among the worst and should, therefore, be pulled over more often.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:50 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,609,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I would also add that since the state replaced those hideous light green plates with the new plain blue ones, there seems to be less of the IGWT plates on the road.

Some would argue, though, that the IGWT drivers are among the worst and should, therefore, be pulled over more often.
I would be one of those making that argument lol

Old 07-17-2011, 12:25 AM

52 posts, read 104,041 times
I think Indianapolis is a great place to raise a family. There are several great school districts, overall low crime in the metro area, pro sports, good shopping and great family amenities. Great locale for visiting other cities (Chicago, Columbus, Cincinnati) If I were younger and single, I might want a more hopping city, but with 3 kids Indy is a great place to be.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:40 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,520,327 times
Indy is one of the best places to raise a family as people have said. Also cost of living is dirt cheap taxes are low and you know they wont increase cause our state has a balanced budget. Also Indy is becoming a world class city with the Super Bowl and other major events being hosted here. overall i love Indy's suburban spread out feel with a concentrated urban downtown then suburban for the rest of the city. Indy to me was a much better choice than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis