Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Indianapolis?
been there loved IT!! 117 38.87%
been there it was okay 126 41.86%
been there and would never go BACK! 58 19.27%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:17 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,546,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Maybe it's just me.. but lately, I've been seeing A LOT of California license plates in central Indiana!
Of course. Folks are fleeing Californistan in droves due to high taxes, liberal policies and now legal gay marriage. Soon we'll have a $6 million cricket field on which they can swing their wickets. God bless Mayor Ballard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:47 AM

35 posts, read 56,718 times
Default Still Loving Indy!!!

Although I was born and raised in the Northeast (mainly NYC and Philly) I have attended school, lived and or worked long term in parts Virginia, Texas, Alaska, California and West Virginia. Not to mention the countless townspeople I've met during annual vacations etc. As a former road musician, meeting new people is an everyday occurrence.

While Indiana is one of the LOWEST educated states in the nation, parts of Marion and Hamilton counties rank among the HIGHER educated sections in the country...so kudos!!

Having said that, residing in Indy is still a great experience for me. The people, the hospitality, the overall vibrancy is invigorating. However, if I had to point to any deficiency, it would be the lack of fresh seafood...other than that, I plan to stay here until the year 2020. By the way, for all of you disgruntled bashers and pessimistic sloths, please, quietly and in single file, leave the area...thanks!

Clay

Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,066,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Of course. Folks are fleeing Californistan in droves due to high taxes, liberal policies and now legal gay marriage. Soon we'll have a $6 million cricket field on which they can swing their wickets. God bless Mayor Ballard!
LOL... Hillarious tribute to our mentally challenged friend! Nicely done my friend....

Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,985,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkrow160 View Post
Although I was born and raised in the Northeast (mainly NYC and Philly) I have attended school, lived and or worked long term in parts Virginia, Texas, Alaska, California and West Virginia. Not to mention the countless townspeople I've met during annual vacations etc. As a former road musician, meeting new people is an everyday occurrence.

While Indiana is one of the LOWEST educated states in the nation, parts of Marion and Hamilton counties rank among the HIGHER educated sections in the country...so kudos!!

Having said that, residing in Indy is still a great experience for me. The people, the hospitality, the overall vibrancy is invigorating. However, if I had to point to any deficiency, it would be the lack of fresh seafood...other than that, I plan to stay here until the year 2020. By the way, for all of you disgruntled bashers and pessimistic sloths, please, quietly and in single file, leave the area...thanks!

Clay
I moved up here from the Miami area in 1998. I've been all over the world and the country. I use to be pessimistic and a skeptic of Indy because it lack the kind of culture I grew up with (food, music, art, highrise living, etc). Over the years I thought to myself instead of complaining why not contribute by sharing some of these cultural experiences since your here. I remember once going to a Spanish station in town and gave the DJ a copy of some music from out of town to play on air. The music he played while we were in the studio was a "Latin Freestyle" genre which is the origins mainly from NYC and Miami. Chicago had some of it to an extent even though it's more House. Today, I can get some Cuban food in town which was non existent back in 1998. The changes I've seen from the time I moved up here I begin to realize how reasonably inclusive the city is for everyone including for those who didn't grow up here. I like how the city's downtown has a way of pulling a community together with it's charismatic vibrancy instead of just placing emphasis on the burbs. That's a huge plus in my book. I will be here long term as well.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
LOL... Hillarious tribute to our mentally challenged friend! Nicely done my friend....
Someone must carry the torch!

Old 07-18-2013, 03:26 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,977,909 times
I've been to Indy many times. My mother still has a lot of family in Indiana, and I interviewed for a job there once too. The last time I spent a significant amount of time in town was about 4 years ago, so it may have improved since then. My opinion of the city is it's an ok medium sized city, but seemed boring and pretty dead. I stayed on City Circle the last time I was there. I went to the Broad Ripple neighborhood one evening because I heard that was a nice place. It was adequate, but nothing that wouldn't be expected from a mid-sized city. I'm sure Indy would be ok if you were going for a big sporting event and there were tons of other people in town, but for a visitor at any other point in the year, it's difficult to find much of a 'scene' there. I'm sure if you lived there and knew the city well, you could easily find stuff to do. For a tourist, well, it's not a city geared towards tourism.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:56 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,985,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I've been to Indy many times. My mother still has a lot of family in Indiana, and I interviewed for a job there once too. The last time I spent a significant amount of time in town was about 4 years ago, so it may have improved since then. My opinion of the city is it's an ok medium sized city, but seemed boring and pretty dead. I stayed on City Circle the last time I was there. I went to the Broad Ripple neighborhood one evening because I heard that was a nice place. It was adequate, but nothing that wouldn't be expected from a mid-sized city. I'm sure Indy would be ok if you were going for a big sporting event and there were tons of other people in town, but for a visitor at any other point in the year, it's difficult to find much of a 'scene' there. I'm sure if you lived there and knew the city well, you could easily find stuff to do. For a tourist, well, it's not a city geared towards tourism.
What's your ideal "scene" that's difficult to find?

Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
4 years ago? You should give Indy another try. We just hosted the Super Bowl two years ago, and that completely transformed the city.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:16 PM

285 posts, read 386,637 times
Just moved in from Chicago. Still getting the lay of the land, even though I went to Purdue and came down here now and then, and I've spent time here on business. Definitely different than Chicago (in good ways and some ways I'm not totally happy about). The only thing I can say I really don't like is that you basically have to drive everywhere. In Chicago, everything you would normally need would be within a 10 minute walk from your place. But becasuse traffic is non-existent compared to what I'm used to, I'll take this trade-off.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Just moved in from Chicago. Still getting the lay of the land, even though I went to Purdue and came down here now and then, and I've spent time here on business. Definitely different than Chicago (in good ways and some ways I'm not totally happy about). The only thing I can say I really don't like is that you basically have to drive everywhere. In Chicago, everything you would normally need would be within a 10 minute walk from your place. But becasuse traffic is non-existent compared to what I'm used to, I'll take this trade-off.
Plus, you no longer have to deal with Quinn, Rahmbo, Blago and the rest of the liberals who are destroying Ill-annoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis