Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 23,725 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on where we can relocate happily between south Indianapolis and Columbus/Bloomington area? We are an asian family with two teen sons who love football and we're looking for a welcoming and safe community, great public or private schools and a sense of ethnic diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 06:48 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Why not Columbus?? I see many Asian families here. Public schools are good and football is HUGE here.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 AM

473 posts, read 1,245,380 times
Not much between Indy and Bloomington. Maybe Martinsville, which is getting nicer. I'm curious what ethnic diversity has to do with anything. If I was moving to China (I'm a white person), I would want to live by chinese people. Thus, that is why I'm moving to china. I understand it's easier to relate to people with the same characteristics but open up a little. My wife is a scientist and works with almost all asians. She loves it and has made great friendships. Back to where to live.. I really don't like Southern Indianapolis. Bloomington is a great city. Martinsville is ok and getting better. I don't know anything about Columbus. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 AM

395 posts, read 1,375,078 times
There aren't a lot of asians in indianapolis and an EXTREME lack of diversity. I'm not white, and I understnad what it's like to try to find ethnic neighborhoods. But Bloomington is a very nice city, and there is Indiana University.

Move to chicago if youre are seeking ethnic diversity, especially suburbs like Schaumburg. Most asians, though not many, (chinese, koreans, viet) that I know from indiana are dissappointed with indianapolis.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
There aren't a lot of asians in indianapolis and an EXTREME lack of diversity. I'm not white, and I understnad what it's like to try to find ethnic neighborhoods. But Bloomington is a very nice city, and there is Indiana University.

Move to chicago if youre are seeking ethnic diversity, especially suburbs like Schaumburg. Most asians, though not many, (chinese, koreans, viet) that I know from indiana are dissappointed with indianapolis.
And if they are going to work for a company in Indy or Columbus, moving to Chicago makes ... hmmm ... how much sense??? Now, while I am no big flag waver of Indianapolis and Chicago is where my heart is, I'm telling you that you need to stop with the Indiana bashing just because you don't like it here. Take my advice, please.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
And if they are going to work for a company in Indy or Columbus, moving to Chicago makes ... hmmm ... how much sense??? Now, while I am no big flag waver of Indianapolis and Chicago is where my heart is, I'm telling you that you need to stop with the Indiana bashing just because you don't like it here. Take my advice, please.
I'm from Indianapolis, and I wouldn't advise anybody to move here. I'd take Columbus anyday. Indianapolis isn't diverse. It's majority White with a huge Black population, an even bigger Latino population, and an almost nonexistent Asian population. I'm moving pretty soon myself.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 AM

395 posts, read 1,375,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Im just give advice and Im not bashing!!!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:50 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
Indy has a great Asian population. We were invited to the Chinese Cultural Society show a year ago in Carmel. Wonderful large group. We also have a very large Indian population. They have a website for help for new arrivals.

We went to the IMAX theater for a movie and it was 100% full of indian families.

In fact, we have a number of other large groups, such as Greek, Eastern European, etc.

They don't live in isolated neighborhoods anymore but mostly tend to get together at cultural or religious events. A lot live north of Indianapolis since the corporations they often work for have relocation departments that steer them that way (used to be easier to buy/sell in the northern suburbs for the corporate move departments). One Pulte subdivision has burmese, indian, and malaysian on one block. My Burmese friends says she enjoys the diversity and they all get together.

So there is diversity in Indiana, you just have to look. I suggest trying to get in touch with whatever cultural or religious groups you might want to participate with and see what they can help you with.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:14 PM

18 posts, read 115,041 times
Tons of Asians in Carmel.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 23,725 times
Thanks for all the info everyone! Our main concern is our children. Our jobs are taking us to this area but will our kids be happy here as they were in CA? We're flying out in a couple weeks to look at specific neighborhoods in Greenwood and Columbus, possibly Bloomington. The other blog said to stay out of small towns where there are almost all whites and racial discrimination exists. Would anyone be willing to share their thoughts on this topic in these other areas not so small townish but still historically white... will our 12 and 15 yr old come across some racial discrimination or possibly encounter racial undertones with not just classmates but with teachers, basketball and football coaches, other parents? My kids are used to being valued and praised for their skills in sports and I worry about them being discriminated against because sorry, of that movie set in past times Hoosiers. Help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis