Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:57 AM

21 posts, read 86,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMTfamily View Post
I know your job is taking you to that area of Indiana. But I wanted to add that Lafayette/W Lafayette has a large asian population. The schools in W. Lafayette are about 20% Asian from my research of the area.

I have to disagree with the suggestion, sorry. I am from nothern Indiana and now attend Purdue University in West Lafayette. Even though its true theres a larger Asian population, most of them are international students. Which makes it even worse for Asians such as myself because people tend to stereotype even more that you're not from America or can't speak English well. Really recommend a much bigger city if thats a possibilty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,440 times
Hi,
I know you responded to this thread a while back, But i am from oahu and we are planning to move out there to indiana. Are you still living out there? I would want to be around people from hawaii at times. hehe My husband would like to start a coaching career soon and thats our reason for the move, well also home sales and cost of living period. Can you please give me some pointers about the move. Will it take a while for us to adapt to the weather? Also we have 3 kids (7, 3, 2) and we would like for them to experience new things. Thank you so much, erika

Old 02-28-2010, 07:36 AM

179 posts, read 356,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esr808 View Post
Hi,
I know you responded to this thread a while back, But i am from oahu and we are planning to move out there to indiana. Are you still living out there? I would want to be around people from hawaii at times. hehe My husband would like to start a coaching career soon and thats our reason for the move, well also home sales and cost of living period. Can you please give me some pointers about the move. Will it take a while for us to adapt to the weather? Also we have 3 kids (7, 3, 2) and we would like for them to experience new things. Thank you so much, erika
For someone who's a SoCal native, I can tell you the weather will take some time to get used to, but overall it's really not that bad once you get the routine down:

1. Get winter tires: all seasons are useless unless you're using Continental's ExtremeContact DWS series.

2. Get ready for people who rave about Asian food on the web and you find out it's completely disappointing: not to knock on the contributors to places like urbanspoon, but they usually have zero idea what really good Asian food is about. And Spam Musubi? You can forget about it, better make your own.

3. Get ready for people who asks "where are you from", TWICE because they didn't know natural born Asian Americans existed and will insist on "your nationality" (psss...American! U.S.A., get it?)

4. Get ready for flat lands and more flat lands. Not much scenery if you ask me though I did get really excited watching combines process corn fields when I first moved here. That excitement has since worn off completely.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. There will be an adoption curve for sure.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:41 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,498,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsurfer View Post
For someone who's a SoCal native, I can tell you the weather will take some time to get used to, but overall it's really not that bad once you get the routine down:

1. Get winter tires: all seasons are useless unless you're using Continental's ExtremeContact DWS series.

2. Get ready for people who rave about Asian food on the web and you find out it's completely disappointing: not to knock on the contributors to places like urbanspoon, but they usually have zero idea what really good Asian food is about. And Spam Musubi? You can forget about it, better make your own.

3. Get ready for people who asks "where are you from", TWICE because they didn't know natural born Asian Americans existed and will insist on "your nationality" (psss...American! U.S.A., get it?)

4. Get ready for flat lands and more flat lands. Not much scenery if you ask me though I did get really excited watching combines process corn fields when I first moved here. That excitement has since worn off completely.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. There will be an adoption curve for sure.
And then get ready for them to ask a third and fourth time just to make sure they are hearing you correctly, lol!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple55 View Post
Any suggestions on where we can relocate happily between south Indianapolis and Columbus/Bloomington area? We are an asian family with two teen sons who love football and we're looking for a welcoming and safe community, great public or private schools and a sense of ethnic diversity.
Hi!

Just saw your thread and I'm in a similar position with my family.

I was wondering where you found to be the best place to live with a good asian community.

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2013, 03:38 AM

316 posts, read 661,182 times
Aren't most Asian's in Indiana living around Munster, Dyer or Schererville?

Old 06-14-2013, 05:37 AM

3,407 posts, read 3,454,083 times
Carmel has plenty of asians

Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,155,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
7K people of Asian decent living in Carmel. While the highest percentage, not the most.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:00 PM

316 posts, read 661,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Is there a high percentage of Filipino's in Carmel in this Asian population of 8.9%?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:39 AM

934 posts, read 1,443,621 times
A little off topic but...

One of the reasons I moved to Indianapolis was to work with the large Burmese population on the South side in Greenwood and Southport (or Little Burma as some of my co-workers call it). It is one of the largest in the United States (10,000+). Most people in Indianapolis don't even know they're there, and what a rarity it is to have Burmese restaurants and grocers in a city.

People accuse Indianapolis of not being ethnically diverse but next to Fort Wayne, I've never seen so many Burmese in one city. They occupy entire apartment complexes and are truly wonderful and culturally-rich people. It has been a pleasure to work with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis